ZestyBalls

Profanity!

37 posts in this topic

I will make sure to pass out safety pins and safe places when I post to such people than.

And then you go from being an anonymous board warrior to mocking a symbol for people that get assaulted for simply existing.  While these forums may be held to a too tame standard, know the actual real world violence that people wearing safety pins represents as activist supporters of those facing real life threats.   Get real weaponsx, that is just low.

Edited by Frykka

And then you go from being an anonymous board warrior to mocking a symbol for people that get assaulted for simply existing.  While these forums may be held to a too tame standard, know the actual real world violence that people wearing safety pins represents as activist supporters of those facing real life threats.   Get real weaponsx, that is just low

I guess you need two safety pins after being on the forums huh...If you do not like things, do no tread them, pass over a post made by people that make you scared, turn the page, no one forces you to read the banter, no one is forcing you to look, but yet.. yet you feel compelled to look if for no other reason than to complain about it so it fits into your box of how things should be. Grow up, the world does not revolve around you. Banter between guilds / players has gone on since day one of gaming, to take this  out of a game because you might become offended, is offensive to us that wear our big boy pants and realize its another aspect of the game. No one seems to have issues when people post up videos of one guild / person crushing others and there is all sorts of insults / " bad words" thrown around, yet not one peep on this, but post something.. WHOA TRIGGER ALARM!!!!!!! It is sad to see that even in on line games we need safe places for snowflakes.

wor, caledon and KrakkenSmacken like this

You could also just not read it.

You're welcome to not read and then ignore the rules of the forum, but if that's your choice, you sacrifice the right to complain when you are punished for breaking those rules.

You can't say that nobody told you - you checked a box saying you agreed to them when you joined. If you signed without reading, that's your own fault. This isn't Apple's ToS update.

There's a difference between disagreeing with something and complaining about being penalized for breaking the rules. It may be a stupid rule and it may be hypocritical, but there are nonproductive ways to field complaints about that. This thread is a perfect example of how not to get anything done.

And just to clarify again, I basically agree with the OP. Profanity filters are stupid and pointless and do not work.

When I run this forum, I'll remove that rule. Until then, I will curse as much as I want and let the profanity filter edit whatever it wants to, and continue not giving a poorly made socks because you all know exactly what I meant and this isn't an argument worth any of our time.

Seriously, are any of you actually so upset by the fact that a forum replaced a word you said with "custard" that you are going to boycott the custard game?

Bramble likes this

This thread is so pointless...Everyone keeps asking for this wild west forum, which rarely ever happens on official game forums.

And then try to say it's for the sake of "politics" when all I've ever seen from almost everyone asking for that is a combination of name-calling, shouting, and general trolling. I said it in another post, I'll say it here...If this is what you think "politics" should be in the game that's depressing.

I don't think anyone really has an issue with people using profanity, I'd leave or take the filter doesn't really matter, but rather with people just using the forums as a trolling site so idk. Pointless thread is pointless

Regulus likes this

This thread is so pointless...Everyone keeps asking for this wild west forum, which rarely ever happens on official game forums.

And then try to say it's for the sake of "politics" when all I've ever seen from almost everyone asking for that is a combination of name-calling, shouting, and general trolling. I said it in another post, I'll say it here...If this is what you think "politics" should be in the game that's depressing.

I don't think anyone really has an issue with people using profanity, I'd leave or take the filter doesn't really matter, but rather with people just using the forums as a trolling site so idk. Pointless thread is pointless

No, you're pointless. And/or if this is so pointless, why is it the only thing that several of the most prominent members of the community ever talk about?

Look at me, furthering discourse! ..wait.

Edited by goose
mal likes this

Oh, look!

I guess you need two safety pins after being on the forums huh...If you do not like things, do no tread them, pass over a post made by people that make you scared, turn the page, no one forces you to read the banter, no one is forcing you to look, but yet.. yet you feel compelled to look if for no other reason than to complain about it so it fits into your box of how things should be. Grow up, the world does not revolve around you. Banter between guilds / players has gone on since day one of gaming, to take this  out of a game because you might become offended, is offensive to us that wear our big boy pants and realize its another aspect of the game. No one seems to have issues when people post up videos of one guild / person crushing others and there is all sorts of insults / " bad words" thrown around, yet not one peep on this, but post something.. WHOA TRIGGER ALARM!!!!!!! It is sad to see that even in on line games we need safe places for snowflakes.

You wrote the perfect instructions for yourself (I just fixed it a little bit, see below.)

"If you do not like things like forums that require a respectful tone towards others, do no tread them, pass over a post made by people that make you scared, turn the page, no one forces you to read the banter forums, no one is forcing you to look, but yet.. yet you feel compelled to look if for no other reason than to complain about it so it fits into your box of how things should be.

"Grow up, the world does not revolve around you.

"Banter between guilds / players A social arena requiring basic civility between members has gone on since day one of gaming human society, to take this out of a game social forum because you might become offended or feel restrained, is offensive to us that wear our big boy pants and realize its another aspect of the game human interaction.

It is sad to see that even in on line games we need safe places for snowflakes bullies."

There you go, fit almost perfectly! :)

mal and Gummiel like this

On 12/28/2016 at 4:14 PM, Jjohnsin said:

Everyone keeps asking for this wild west forum, which rarely ever happens on official game forums.

What I don't get is Crowfall is this niche game catering to the UO and Shadowbane crowd yet there are people on these boards who peddle nonsense like political forums do nothing and rarely existed on official forums. If you clearly didn't play these games and embrace the grizzled atmosphere both in-game and on the forums then you're in for a rude awakening come launch when you find out this isn't your kind of game.

The Dev's language on camera at best would be disorderly conduct, while the items posted on the boards can be libelous.  

Libelous- falls under that whack Tort law that has a standard of proof in a bikini named "Preponderance of the Evidence" sticks to everything because of things like vicarious liability.   People say bad things and ACE says nothing about it - Negligence or Deliberate indifference and possibly failure to train (the individual who said nothing).  I don't see it as hypocritical I see it as Risk Management.

Edited by Mr. Kurtz
Correction

I think the main point is that when you grow older, say after 17-18 yrs old, you stop being triggered by stupid cussing. Even the worse profanity becomes the same level as 'you are stupid', so normal.

Now, do i think cussing is fun? No, but i dont mind. If i dont get triggered IRL will i get triggered here? On the internet? Only really shelltered people would mind this...

I get the viewpoint of ACE, if i was in their shoes i would probably do the same. But i also understand that sometimes cussing is the best way to express yourself...

PS: I am not saying people should just curse one another like there is no tomorrow, this is all in the premisse that we are all mature people. Which is probably the main reason ACE put up censure 'cuz you cant expect maturity in the internet...

On 4/22/2017 at 10:22 AM, BarriaKarl said:

I think the main point is that when you grow older, say after 17-18 yrs old, you stop being triggered by stupid cussing. Even the worse profanity becomes the same level as 'you are stupid', so normal.

Now, do i think cussing is fun? No, but i dont mind. If i dont get triggered IRL will i get triggered here? On the internet? Only really shelltered people would mind this...

I get the viewpoint of ACE, if i was in their shoes i would probably do the same. But i also understand that sometimes cussing is the best way to express yourself...

PS: I am not saying people should just curse one another like there is no tomorrow, this is all in the premisse that we are all mature people. Which is probably the main reason ACE put up censure 'cuz you cant expect maturity in the internet...

I got the impression that the main point was "what is the point of profanity filters?" Because they are kind of dumb. Even if you don't assign every word a new and different and awesomer word like this one does, context clues are usually enough for people to know what four letter word you intended behind the **** of a filter. As a result, profanity filters are just theater. Everyone knows what you typed, which means that censoring the word didn't change anything. The screen may have said "I don't give a flying ****," but you read exactly what I typed. Whiney parents will therefore have to try a little bit harder to find something to get angry about their children being exposed to, and from the legal side, since forums don't have an ESRB rating protecting their administrators from litigation, that means the dev team is just covering their asses.

Just because it's against the rules doesn't mean they give a poorly made socks. As near as I can tell, the only law that is regularly enforced on these forums is Wheaton's Law. Breaking that is what the game is for.

On 12/25/2016 at 2:44 PM, Helix said:

I'm a sensitive snowflake and I'm afraid my feels will get hurt.

"Play to not offend anyone!".

Petition to filter the word "crush" and replace it with "hug." All in favor say custard.

Gummiel and goose like this