Ironmike

Poll: Have you ever managed a MMORPG City/Kingdom? Would you do it again?

Would you manage / lead another MMORPG City/Kingdom again?   64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you manage / lead another MMORPG City/Kingdom again?

• Yes, it's awesome!
    • No, I would rather jump off a castle wall
    • Other (please comment)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

Yes, I've done it in Shadowbane. Planning on doing it for Crowfall. I've been waiting for another good game with city building. It's been high on my wishlist for new MMOs for a while.

Doomshadow likes this

I managed a city in SWG (Eclipse Consortium for a stint) and Shadowbane (Virakt of Icy Night, sub of Morloch's Horde). I can tell you that it does not work, unless you start the core of the city with people you trust IRL. It truly is a team effort. As long as it is treated like that, everyone wins. It was the a-hats that we did not know well that came in and wrecked the place. Don't get me wrong, we had some awesome members that we recruited, but having that core group of members to help with heavy lifting is crucial.

Doomshadow likes this

I ran a UO shard once upon a time and had a fairly substantial leadership role in a larger SWG group. Can only echo what most people said here - when it works, it's great, but once it doesn't, you have to be extremely careful not to trigger a runaway domino effect that has the whole thing crumbling down in tears and personal drama. 

In the end, the main thing one manages is how seriously people take the project. If the lead (by whatever description/title) doesn't manage to compel others to see the city/project/guild as an actual commitment to actual people, it's bound to fail. In a purely virtual environment, that's really bloody hard and something experience has taught me is not necessarily my forte.

Edited by monsterfurby
Ironmike likes this

I have ran sections, not a whole "kingdom". In EVE online I ran the mining and production part of a medium sized 0.0 alliance. During my WoW period some, included me, started a Dutch guild (later to be one of the largest Dutch guild in WoW).

I've done it in Shadowbane.  Founded a 4 person guild and grew it into a large unwieldy nation.  On one hand I know I could manage things much better than when I was 23 year old suicidally depressed kid who worked 70+ hours a week.  On the other hand I like balance in my life these days.  Guilds grow passed a certain point and they become a huge time investment if you want to do it right.  Especially in a game where there's a lot of politics like Shadowbane, Eve, and hopefully CF.  Of course if I'm too busy with CF politics perhaps I can stop posting about real world politics on Facebook.  I'm sure my family would very much appreciate that.

Doomshadow and [KDS]Prom like this

Since I am currently the Division Caption for Crowfall in The Older Gamers <TOG>, whether I want to or enjoy leading a City/Kingdom in an MMO I will have to at some level.  It is one of the reasons that I am always siding on the requests that make information easier to access and manage.  The vast majority of those that want to make everything hard or hidden just show us the players that are either not in charge of actually organizing a group of gamers or want to be the Bad Apples that we don't want in our in game organizations to begin with.

My experience was a small city subbed to a larger guild that I came from. It was on the SB War server. Our guild and nation were not huge factors, but the capital did get baned once. It may be a different story with a very big guild and/or nation, but my experience was very positive. I made some great friendships from that time, and it is because of SB that I even invested in CF. I am hoping my experience is similar to my last situation.