Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:13 AM

lol if yer arms dont have arms fam

#22 VIKINGNAIL

VIKINGNAIL

Hooded Crow

• ACE Development Partners
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:23 AM

Gear only impacts out going damage currently.  None of the mitigations appear to work or update correctly in the paper doll.  I would hold off on judging what "gear" looks like until the vessel system is implemented.

This is important context to add, we are still in early testing with a lot of systems not up and operational.

#23 Jezvin

Jezvin

Nestling

• Testers
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:24 AM

"designed very carefully" I am having this same sentiment of many of the game system related to crafting and gear in the game. 

Currently there is a lot of exponential development of stats through crafting and I somewhat expect vessels to fall into the same system. A system like this can go a miss if there is just an extra step that allows more growth of certain stats and propels them to OP status. Once in the OP status then your vessel access concerns would be significantly emphasizes if you need special materials to make them.

So the gear system they have is very diverse but also volatile, a small tweak could make 1 thing OP and kill the diversity the system should be bringing. To keep gear impactful and diverse without messing up PvP is going to take a delicate hand in balance. 

This balance point of gear brings up the other issue I have, that vessels and archetypes should have more focus on specific goals and be generally available while the disciplines add the extra layer. In this case you would be able to pull the archetype for the situation you need instead of requiring a discipline that you might not have access to because of the gearing situation. I would prefer to see the skill tree reflect Disciplines instead of archetypes Train three+ disciplines and archetypes are open ended.

#24 Handies

Handies

Raven

• Testers
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

Too many people are worrying over things now without considering what isn't implemented yet.

#25 Arkade

Arkade

Raven

• Testers
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Gear only impacts out going damage currently.  None of the mitigations appear to work or update correctly in the paper doll.  I would hold off on judging what "gear" looks like until the vessel system is implemented.

Mitigation works. I have tested it and seen the damage numbers change when wearing/not wearing armor. You won't see the mitigation amounts on your gear reflected in the paper doll because there is a hit location system. Most attacks will hit your chest unless they target a specific area of the body, like ground targeted effects hitting boots. The single number on the paper doll can't show you varying mitigation numbers based on different armor slots. Hopefully in the future we will have tooltips on the paper doll stats, and the tooltip for the mitigation numbers will have a breakdown by armor slot. I'd also like to have a much better indication of where stats are coming from than what the vessel enhancement window currently provides. Show in the mitigation stat tooltip a breakdown of where the stats are coming from (X amount from skill 1, Y amount from skill 2, Z amount from armor class, etc.).

#26 Dominate

Dominate

Nestling

• 31 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:42 PM

As mentioned, durability should handle quite a bit of the problem, Vessels included.   The devs have so many factors they can tweak to make Durability paramount, incl. gear availability, death frequency and penalties, maximum durability, gear store rules, dedicated crafter viability, etc.  It's going to be interesting to see how fast the crunch for replacement gear and node control slows down entire CWs.   Maybe we'll end up fighting with sticks.

The great side of the Vessel "gear" system, other than just making crafting more colorful, is that it partially compensates for the weak Training system.  Some would argue that Training has to be somewhat capped, to encourage new player participation.  With Vessels, you can swap whole classes, customize with Disciplines on the fly, and force strategic decisions on training for multiple Vessels.  I think this should be expanded as much as development resources allow.  We may not see the best stuff until after the initial release, because variable Archetype powers are hard to balance.

Re the "1/3 passives, 1/3 gear, 1/3 skill"...  I agree that could be hard to accomplish if Vessels are considered just more gear.  Also, 1/3 of your power should not be determined by the current Passive tree -- stats obtained from length of play and minor customizations.  The "passive" power of vessels can be increased (stats & promotions), and the devs can even punch some Vessel power into "skill" by making them hard to obtain.  In fact, those ratios are probably just oversimplifications; the first 1/3 could have meant all passives and Archetype customizations from any source, the second 1/3 random drops & whole crafting economies, and the last all "skillful" work, incl. out of battle prep.  Who knows.

My 2 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users