29 replies to this topic

#21 LordBinz

LordBinz

Magpie

• Testers
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

I think its a little bit to much to keep punching on this guy.

I think everyone just wants to say their bit at this point :D

Weve already solved the original question.

#22 KrakkenSmacken

KrakkenSmacken

Rook

• Testers
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

I think its a little bit to much to keep punching on this guy.

Duh,  I mean he even thanked us for setting him straight.

Nothing like kicking a guy when he's already down and stopped swinging.

Now if he shows up in a graveyard naked while I'm walking by, that might be a different story.

#23 th3gatekeeper

th3gatekeeper

Treepie

• Testers
  • 339 posts
  • LocationPacific NW - USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Along this line of discussion... I AM worried about the business model for ACE based on what we currently know.

They have significant pre-sales. They continue fund raising, which is basically getting sales early. Means less revenue later.

They are going to have a very hard time making VIP more appealing than ALT accounts

They are going to have a hard time getting people to do VIP without it being considered by many "P2W"

These are major issues that I have concerns with for release. If their goal is 20-25% having VIP, once you remove all the current backers - most of which have 3+ accounts and likely years of VIP. You realize the only major NEW revenue ACE will have will come from NEW players to the game. 

A handful will purchase "existing" accounts from re-sellers (which doesnt generate new sales for ACE).

I think if ACE wants a sustainable business model, the alt account vs VIP thing needs to be fleshed out in major detail. Deterring alt accounts is something IMO should be high priority and making VIP meaningful as well.

They already have OUR money, so the best thing they can do is focus on what will bring more players in, and THEN what will make them bust our a CC to pay for VIP.

#24 KrakkenSmacken

KrakkenSmacken

Rook

• Testers
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Along this line of discussion... I AM worried about the business model for ACE based on what we currently know.

They have significant pre-sales. They continue fund raising, which is basically getting sales early. Means less revenue later.

They are going to have a very hard time making VIP more appealing than ALT accounts

They are going to have a hard time getting people to do VIP without it being considered by many "P2W"

These are major issues that I have concerns with for release. If their goal is 20-25% having VIP, once you remove all the current backers - most of which have 3+ accounts and likely years of VIP. You realize the only major NEW revenue ACE will have will come from NEW players to the game. 

A handful will purchase "existing" accounts from re-sellers (which doesnt generate new sales for ACE).

I think if ACE wants a sustainable business model, the alt account vs VIP thing needs to be fleshed out in major detail. Deterring alt accounts is something IMO should be high priority and making VIP meaningful as well.

They already have OUR money, so the best thing they can do is focus on what will bring more players in, and THEN what will make them bust our a CC to pay for VIP.

Well considering they have only word of mouth and the occasional article by third parties for marketing, and many many people are not at all interested in kick starting a game, and WoW, the big player in the genre counts subscribers in the 10's of millions, I would say the barest of the bare numbers are actually here now.

#25 Bramble

Bramble

Rook

• Testers
  • 519 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:00 PM

What you should be arguing is that the developers are old farts in the MMO industry and their level of motivation and drive to work has greatly diminished since their time starting out! That is the argument i would be making. They are old and dilly fart around the office working at a snail's pace. As opposite to 15-20 years ago when they had drive, motivation, and higher levels of testosterone, except for Dogget! He rocks!

Videos from "The Machine" in their offices that prove all this, or it didn't happen.

Honestly, what happens to kids these days when they don't get their bowl of Cheerios and Flintstone vitamins in the morning!   :P

Heh-heh-heh.

#26 KrakkenSmacken

KrakkenSmacken

Rook

• Testers
  • 558 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

Videos from "The Machine" in their offices that prove all this, or it didn't happen.

Honestly, what happens to kids these days when they don't get their bowl of Cheerios and Flintstone vitamins in the morning!   :P

Heh-heh-heh.

What's a "Flintstone"?  

[what kids these days would ask to the above statement]

Edited by KrakkenSmacken, 12 January 2017 - 05:05 PM.

#27 Thegatekeeper

Thegatekeeper

Hatchling

• 10 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Well considering they have only word of mouth and the occasional article by third parties for marketing, and many many people are not at all interested in kick starting a game, and WoW, the big player in the genre counts subscribers in the 10's of millions, I would say the barest of the bare numbers are actually here now.

I hope you are right my friend.

#28 VIKINGNAIL

VIKINGNAIL

Hooded Crow

• ACE Development Partners
  • 4,478 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:25 AM

Crowfall has very modest funding compared to most MMORPGs.  It's also smart for them to stay ahead of the curve because the last thing they want is to wait until they are in financial trouble to start looking for more money. 

GW seems to have done a great job trying to keep a nice buffer to keep development chugging.

#29 Dirkoff

Dirkoff

Rook

• Testers
  • 659 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have faith in Gordon and Todd delivering a game. It just depends whether its a game that stands upto the original vision.

#30 catberry

catberry

Hatchling

• 13 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

These are people. People need salaries. They're like what, 30-40 people? Who have been doing this as their full time job for 2+ years. Put an average low US salary to all of them and it's already more than 10mil. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users