Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anthrage

What will be CF's SoJ?

18 posts in this topic

As we move into the era where skilled harvesters and crafters begin to have a significant advantage over those with no investiment this area, I find myself considering availing myself of the service of others for my advanced crafting needs. This leads me to wonder, what will be the common currency used by most players, and accepted by most crafters? Will it be high quality raw materials of the type used by a partcular craftsperson, the most likely scenario once Campaign Worlds are online and the sole source of higher quality materials? For now, or for lower level stuff, will be a resource, or maybe potion, apples or purple paper? For you crafters out there, what would you accept as payment?

Probably Ethereal Dust, for a more common currency. I'd like to see some sort of banknote type system - a cheap item that guild officers can create, that forces that guild to give away goods in an EK, if they have them available.

If you look at the later skill trees ethereal dust is needed to run factories, or at least that was the description in one of them a few months back. So I'd say that would be the "standard". I also heard someone say they'd be used to mint coinage but I can't recall the source.

chodie likes this

At the beginning the were all barking about they are not going to have currency in the game, and no auction house and stuff.
They were stepping back on that a year after or so.
They apparently got no idea about economics. There is a very good reason for currency to exist, like you were already explaining yourself.
So there will very likely be some kind of currency.

Maybe there will be even 2 currencys.
1 normal ingame currency and 1 premium cash shop currency.
Like in Guildwars 2.

Edited by Urahara

2 hours ago, Urahara said:

At the beginning the were all barking about they are not going to have currency in the game, and no auction house and stuff.
They were stepping back on that a year after or so.
They apparently got no idea about economics. There is a very good reason for currency to exist, like you were already explaining yourself.
So there will very likely be some kind of currency.

Maybe there will be even 2 currencys.
1 normal ingame currency and 1 premium cash shop currency.
Like in Guildwars 2.

Never seen a game with less of a currency than GW2.   Currency basket, maybe.  

We'll probably end up with something like this:  http://www.poeex.info/

Svenn likes this

18 hours ago, Dominate said:

Never seen a game with less of a currency than GW2.   Currency basket, maybe.  

We'll probably end up with something like this:  http://www.poeex.info/

Why? Gems are a stable, long-term currency that maintains its value even as inflation hits the more day to day currency of gold. I've never seen anything in guild wars 2 valued by anything other than gold, which is more than you can say for a lot of other games. GW1, for instance, had many items valued in ectos.

6 hours ago, ringhloth said:

Why? Gems are a stable, long-term currency that maintains its value even as inflation hits the more day to day currency of gold. I've never seen anything in guild wars 2 valued by anything other than gold, which is more than you can say for a lot of other games. GW1, for instance, had many items valued in ectos.

Game developers could save a lot of time if they all just had access to GW2's bank and inventory code.  It wasn't perfect, but it was far better than most games.  And you're right, gold was the go-to standard.  

Re Currency basket:  GW2 just had tons of things serving (medium of exchange) and looking (tiny bits vs blocks of stone) as currency, and since gold wasn't accepted by vendors for the most important items (unusual for a solid currency), you had different opinions on the value of gold and gems.... which leads to the holding and temporary weighting of multiple currencies despite a standard...  which mimics a currency basket.  

Re POE:  Crowfall at this point seems to share the factors leading to player run exchanges:  no fixed conversions to gold, week-to-week valuations as Campaign Worlds progress, and little developer interest in controlling the economy.

Edited by Dominate

4 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

VIP tokens makes the most sense. 

And castle walls.  Or maybe farm parcels.  Wait, there's Titles!

22 minutes ago, Dominate said:

And castle walls.  Or maybe farm parcels.  Wait, there's Titles!

Well you can bring tokens into campaigns, you can't bring premade castle walls and stuff like that into campaigns. 

Over the weekend I spend a bunch of time working on Monte Carlo models to determine what the typical tool that I craft looks like for various material qualities.

The primary reason for all this was to try to determine what type of prices that I would charge when I open "Narsille's House of Tools".

1.  I wanted to determine what the difference in quality is between the tools that I craft and the tools that someone who is untrained would make.

2.  I wanted to be able to understand the distribution in crafting quality.

My plan is to demand "Payment in kind", by which I mean that you pay for a tool with the same set of raw materials that I use to make said tool.

In order to craft a tool, I need to spend 4 ore, three stone, and one parchment.

I plan to offer the following payment schemes

1. You can give me double the raw materials of a give quality level.  I will craft two tools.  You will get the better of the two.
  2. You can specify a quality level.  The better the quality level, the higher the cost.
    1. High quality tools will cost more than 2X mats cost
    2. Low quality tools will cost less than 2X mats cost

3 hours ago, narsille said:

Over the weekend I spend a bunch of time working on Monte Carlo models to determine what the typical tool that I craft looks like for various material qualities.

The primary reason for all this was to try to determine what type of prices that I would charge when I open "Narsille's House of Tools".

1.  I wanted to determine what the difference in quality is between the tools that I craft and the tools that someone who is untrained would make.

2.  I wanted to be able to understand the distribution in crafting quality.

My plan is to demand "Payment in kind", by which I mean that you pay for a tool with the same set of raw materials that I use to make said tool.

In order to craft a tool, I need to spend 4 ore, three stone, and one parchment.

I plan to offer the following payment schemes

1. You can give me double the raw materials of a give quality level.  I will craft two tools.  You will get the better of the two.
  2. You can specify a quality level.  The better the quality level, the higher the cost.
    1. High quality tools will cost more than 2X mats cost
    2. Low quality tools will cost less than 2X mats cost

That requires a lot of micro-managing each transaction.  Unless ACE gives us the ability to set up shot with specific purchase requirements.  Drop-down menu with required transation item(restored minotaur head), and a second drop-menu with quantity(10).  The purchaser drops in 10 restored minotaur heads and gets narsille's epic pick.

You could require any item for any purchase, including vip tokens, dust, or specific mats, and log off while transactions are made.  

Edited by Interbane

1 hour ago, srathor said:

Srathorbucks of course!

It is the only way to pay!

Nah, Coolsterducks have way more value ;)

But yeah, the most commonly accepted currency will either be 1) the most commonly used mat (i.e. iron ore, limestone blocks), 2) food (Apples, briskets, etc.), or 3) upkeep mats (more than likely ethereal dust)

chodie likes this

22 hours ago, ringhloth said:

Ectos and plats. That took me back!