daegog

Just say no to: "Hold F to Gather"

94 posts in this topic

There has to be a better system to gathering, than just HOLD F.

This game is entirely dependent on resource gathering.  Every aspect of the game requires resources. To get those resources,....

You stand in front of a rock/tree/ore and.. HOLD F?!?

We have gathered in mmos for years and arguably no game has ever put the emphasis on resources that crowfall plans. Here, we will spend countless hours and days gathering resources.  The notion that resource gathering doesn't deserve anything more interesting, than stand in front of tree and hold the F key is pretty blah.

Even if you have no intention of gathering yourself, you still plan on buying or stealing resources for your gear, that means if too many people get bored of just HOLDING F, then you will be outta luck and then YOU will have to go and HOLD F yourself!

We don't need the greatest mini-game ever devised, maybe something simple like Black Desert Online does with fishing (which is really just a simon-says kinda deal)  A person that ONLY wants to press and hold F could be allowed to do so, but if a person completes the mini game properly, perhaps they are given a boost to stamina, amount gained, rarity gained, etc..

Seems like the team that created Crowfall, can come up with something a little better than HOLD F, for such a crucial part of the game.

Thank you.

Edited by Pann
Please avoid using all caps for topic headlines
Syoris, Doradur, najorin and 4 others like this

We just had another thread on this... 

I mentioned a failed game that got no traction, but here I'll try it again because I'm 100% positive it will work and players will love it.

Harvesting should be activated for fixed periods of time and do two things:  create noise and attract a crap-ton of MOBs.   Mother lodes should... attract more MOBs.

It's good for everything - keeping you on your toes, perfecting your combat skills, attracting other players, encouraging group harvesting, etc.

Edited by Dominate

something like this? Hit the sweet spots get better results, don't get worse. There could be skills that make the sweet spot bigger or make the slider slower. skills that make hitting it give better rewards. I guess there are lots of things you could do. I do like the idea of some sort of "player skill" making a difference.

Edited by yoink

What about delaying this kind of discussion? We need to know how harvesting from point of interest works.

We are not going to spend time holding F for a few resource in our backpack, but trying to conquer mills and steal resources by caravans.

while i also did campain for mini game style harvesting, im now fully against it. Playing a mini game in the beginning is fine. But after the 100 time you would wish to just press f to toggle harvesting.

That beeing said giving people a choice in that would be even better. But i agree on the topic that holding F is not good.

I agree with no player interactive stuff, adding in something that requires player interaction is fine if it is done infrequently.  But if I'm trying to harvest all the wood on a parcel and have to cut down 50 trees I'm going to get really sick of a minigame if I have to do it for every single one of those trees.

KohrAh, Leiloni, Dominate and 2 others like this

3 hours ago, yoink said:

So what exactly do you want? Do you just mean something interactive? I'm imagining golfing games with the sliding bar that you need to stop in the sweet spot for the best swing. You mean something like that?

Personally I'd like a toggle; same goes for an auto run key. My fingers bruh.

Edited by Helix

Uh. No, please no. If you find harvesting boring, you can do something else. Plenty of people don't mind going around harvesting resources. If it turns out that harvesting is really offputting and the economy is broken because no one wants to do it, then maybe they should look at making it more interesting. Until then, just use what works. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

KohrAh and Leiloni like this

11 minutes ago, ringhloth said:

Uh. No, please no. If you find harvesting boring, you can do something else. Plenty of people don't mind going around harvesting resources. If it turns out that harvesting is really offputting and the economy is broken because no one wants to do it, then maybe they should look at making it more interesting. Until then, just use what works. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Except his point is that it doesn't work. Yours is clearly the opposite. Be okay with that, and please desist from telling people to bug off if they disagree.

My opinion, for fun, is the current harvesting system is not engaging- and I've put dozens of hours into testing it. Harvesting mini games aren't my flavor but I can see the appeal. Personally, I'm okay with the hold F staying IF they allow us to move our camera after we've initiated the harvest animation. The biggest thing for me is you must keep your reticle focused on the harvested item and I find that really confining. It makes a 10 second harvest that much more boring. Let us look around to scope out the next thing to harvest, look at the environment, or look out for players.

ledeir likes this

3 hours ago, RikForFun said:

What about delaying this kind of discussion? We need to know how harvesting from point of interest works.

We are not going to spend time holding F for a few resource in our backpack, but trying to conquer mills and steal resources by caravans.

Youre absolutely right, but undeniably a lot of time, groups and individuals, will be spent doing "manual" harvesting. There is only a finite amount of POIs, thus, the remaining harvesters not in control of them will have to rely on the good ole pick and hammer.

I think the thought process behind the button is that it prevents someone from looking around while they are harvesting, in effect being able to watch their own back.  As long as you still have to target the node to continue to harvest, a toggle versus holding down shouldn't really matter more than saving wear and tear on our fingers.  IMO something they could make an option without breaking balance.

Weskejak and IHeartFargo like this

I don't think this is that big of a deal to be honest. Maybe they could make it to where you just have to press F once to start the harvest channel or something (although I don't think this is necessary).

However I don't think any sort of mini game will make harvesting any more fun in the long run. If anything a silly mini game would get tedious over time with how much harvesting we're going to be doing in this game.

Dominate, Destrin, chodie and 2 others like this

I just want a toggle. Press F once and wait. Two reasons.

The obvious: my poor finger. I have to rotate fingers when I'm harvesting for hours. Please don't contribute to carpal tunnels. Won't anyone think of the Shadowbane vets, we aren't as young as we used to be.

Less obvious: socialization. Most game activities leave you free to chat about 90% of the time - when you're waiting for a craft to complete, or seeking pvp but there's no red in view. When you're stuck holding down a button most of the time, you can't chat.

That may seem minor, but socialization is kind of a core MMORPG feature. Shared downtime where you can chat is what builds community (and this is partly why community has disappeared from modern MMOs, they tend to eliminate downtime in the name of convenience). Waiting for the iron node to die is a perfect moment of downtime to be part of the community, and needing to hold down a stupid key is robbing us of it.

Edited by Avloren