presharrison

Horrible!!

97 posts in this topic

Just tried the game yesterday and the level of disappointment was huge.  So you cut back so that different classes can't be different races, its like predetermined...horrible!!! What were you thinking!!!!  also you can't select male or female.... horrible!!!  Cartoony graphics= terrible!!!  Looks like if you pick a specific class you get a specific type of weapon, so only certain classes can use and axe and other can only use a sword..... WOW way to customize guys!!!  So F'ing Horrible!!!

I can't believe I backed this game!  When I saw its developers were the ones that made Shadowbane, I was like...damn!  this game is going to be huge....unfortunately, it seems to be huge..huge fail.

So I posted this in the suggestion box so you see the major points where you fail.

I know it is alpha but unless you a fixing those major points, this game is looking like a candyland WOW but WOW has like 10X the customization that this game lacks...bad, oh and WOW has crap for customization. 

Just such a big disappointment...

JamesGoblin and Teufel like this

RENAMING THIS THREAD TO: "PLEASE EDUCATE ME ON CROWFALL'S FUTURE CUSTOMIZATION SYSTEMS"

On 15/04/2017 at 3:57 PM, presharrison said:

The customization of looks, genders or character powers, weapons and builds has yet to arrive to the testing.

Have a read of some of the older news pieces to get up to speed with a taste of what will come later.

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/gender-variants-male-assassin-and-druid/

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/on-the-horizon-combat-disciplines/

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/how-it-works-powers-selection/

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/crows-of-many-colors/

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/gender-variations-part-2-we-are-the-champions/

https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/necromancy-the-art-of-crafting-bodies/

https://crowfall.com/en/news/experiments-with-armor/

With regards race here is my standard answer to that from my 'what is crowfall' summary

• Archetypes are race locked, but for sensible reasons.

Race actually matters in this game for once. It is not just a reskin with minor stat differences or pointless racial powers.

Class power design and balance elements are tied to their race themes. For example:

The small Guineceans Duelist powers revolve around burrowing underground and agility
(they also has a smaller size and hitbox) and even sprints crouching on all fours - making him even harder to hit!

The large
centuar Legionnaire powers are about speed and charging into targets with his bulk
(has a larger size and hitbox and a faster base run speed and also requires more food) 

Neither of these themes would work if you switch them around to have burrowing centuars and speedy bulky Guineceans...

Another example will be the Assassin archetype: a winged half-Fae (elf) that will have swooping and gliding on their powers...

Do you want flying centuars? (yes but its silly and makes the classes far too generic in order for this to work)

Edited by Tinnis
chodie, baerin, Eaden and 8 others like this

19 minutes ago, presharrison said:

Just tried the game yesterday and the level of disappointment was huge.  So you cut back so that different classes can't be different races, its like predetermined...horrible!!! What were you thinking!!!!  also you can't select male or female.... horrible!!!  Cartoony graphics= terrible!!!  Looks like if you pick a specific class you get a specific type of weapon, so only certain classes can use and axe and other can only use a sword..... WOW way to customize guys!!!  So F'ing Horrible!!!

Man, most of your feedback is kind of hard to respond to because it's just not very specific. I'll respond to the ones that are clear enough and I don't disagree with all of your initial impressions.

• So you cut back so that different classes can't be different races, its like predetermined...horrible!!! What were you thinking!!!! 
  • also you can't select male or female.... horrible!!! 
  • Cartoony graphics= terrible!!! 
  • Looks like if you pick a specific class you get a specific type of weapon, so only certain classes can use and axe and other can only use a sword....

Locked AT and race

I'd prefer it were more open as well, just like you. However, we haven't seen disciplines yet and every time I bring something like this up they tell me how great disciplines are going to be. I'm willing to wait and see and pray it's not just a re-hashing of existing abilities slapped onto the locked ATs. Some of this is based on funding as well. I'm sure if you hand these guys a seven figure investment they will make a change or two as you seem to want (and I do too), but that level of customization has to cost a lot of money because of all of the animations required.

That's coming Padawan. Sit tight.

Cartoony Gfx

I agree, personally. I prefer a darker and grittier look, more like Conan Exiles or at least ESO. Bit these things aren't as important to the gameplay. It's not even a close issue. Just not all that important to me. And there are reasons for this decision related to dating of stylized Gfx vs non-stylized Gfx.

Weapons locked

I agree with you and this has been discussed a lot. It sounds like more weapons are being opened to some of the ATs, but yes, like you, I wish there were far more customization in this area. If I want to play a throwing dagger Druid, let me do that poorly made socks, whether it's a failure as a toon or not. We need candy toons, basically, or the ability to make them.

You have some fair points, but this is a bad weekend for you to judge the game man. Give it a week or 2 and see what It's like in better conditions (like a test that goes more than a few hours). The group combat is OK and the sieging should be excellent. Those are 2 powerful draws.

I'll leave you with the probability that you will be even more disappointed when you realize that your skill training doesn't differentiate your character. Everyone will be the same aside from gear and disciplines (gear). That's kind of my biggest beef: the character building.

Edited by coolwaters
Teufel, chodie, IHeartFargo and 4 others like this

3 minutes ago, Tinnis said:

Another example will be the Assassin archetype: a winged half-Fae (elf) that will have swooping and gliding on their powers...

Do you want flying centuars? (yes but its silly and makes the classes far too generic in order for this to work)

So my reply here is simple not all races can be all classes, only certain races can be certain classes.  Its a mix and match but by doing it they way they are doing it here it limits the customization so hard.  I just expected more from the developers of Shadowbane. 

2 minutes ago, coolwaters said:

I'll leave you with the probability that you will be even more disappointed when you realize that your skill training doesn't differentiate your character. Everyone will be the same aside from gear and disciplines (gear). That's kind of my biggest beef: the character building.

Wow.... even worse.  I dont know about you but for me customizing my character is one of the biggest things for me.  You play around with different builds (full defense build, super speed build, meat toon build) until you find something that works for you.  This seems like it is headed in the direction that everyone is the same for that archtype..... not the way I was hoping it would go at all.  Very sad.

30 minutes ago, presharrison said:

I can't believe I backed this game!  When I saw its developers were the ones that made Shadowbane, I was like...damn!  this game is going to be huge....unfortunately, it seems to be huge..huge fail.

So I posted this in the suggestion box so you see the major points where you fail.

I know it is alpha but unless you a fixing those major points, this game is looking like a candyland WOW but WOW has like 10X the customization that this game lacks...bad, oh and WOW has crap for customization. 

Just such a big disappointment...

Bet this is going to be one of those posts where the poster will be eating his own words a year from now. :)

Unless a certain discipline rune is the best for a certain archetype, then I doubt everyone will be the same.

You choose disciplines in the future to match your prefered playstyle, you choose your promotion class to match your playstyle - in short, you will be able to find your prefered playstyle with an archetype.

NchDu and JamesGoblin like this

2 minutes ago, presharrison said:

Wow.... even worse.  I dont know about you but for me customizing my character is one of the biggest things for me.  You play around with different builds (full defense build, super speed build, meat toon build) until you find something that works for you.  This seems like it is headed in the direction that everyone is the same for that archtype..... not the way I was hoping it would go at all.  Very sad.

Not even close...   you are under-informed.   Shadowbane had the same restrictions on weapons allowed your base class with starting runes and disciplines unlocking the other weapon types.   Crowfall will have starting rune system somewhat like Shadowbane...  not yet in testing.  Crowfall  disciplines are due for test very soon...   with discs you will gain more powers than you have tray space to hold so custom builds that will be quite distinct.   You are certainly NOT sounding like an alpha testing type of player and why you are here is your own issue.   If you did just the minimal research, which you obviously didn't, you would know very well where the game is now and what is coming soon and what is planned.   Thank you for backing, come back for beta when the game is more polished as you have anger issues with being in the wrong place at the wrong time.   

Anhrez, Gummiel, NchDu and 6 others like this

Each Archetype will be given three "Promotion classes". For example:

Knight (tank) will be able to promote to Swordsman, Crusader or Sentinel 

Add (proposed at this point) 150 discipline runes.... Shadowbane had 47 (of which many were useless)

The proposed specialization in training here is way more in depth and complex than SB ever thought about being. 

And as Coolwaters mentioned, armor, weapons and vessels will matter as well.

It does kind of suck until you really think about it. In SB, you could make an Ireckei Warrior, or an Aracoix Priest, or a Elven Ranger... but why would you? They weren't optimal, so almost none ever did (After FC gear was wiped, candy toons were not really viable at all, lets be honest, and then it was only small scale.) Give it a chance, I think it will be a way better system. Armor isn't locked either. You want to wear plate on your mage? Go ahead. There will be the availability to use shields and other weapons as well via discipline. It's ALPHA.... give it time.

Not trying to "White Knight" here, as the animation style is not my preferred choice, but I understand it. I disliked the vessel system at first, but I think I'm coming around to it. I HATE the Guinecian AT choice. And there is a lot to be done with optimization.But.... character customization is the very least of my concerns. They aren't finished. 

This thread seems very unproductive and a waste of time. The OP original post was akin to a child having a temper tantrum and his replies there after just shows his mind is already made up, nothing anyone says here is going to change it. He's entitled to dislike the game but the format used to describe the "Why's" look like something my 13 year old step son would produce. I'm all for someone outlining their dislikes and the reasons for them but it really should be done with at least a shred of intelligence.

1 hour ago, presharrison said:

So my reply here is simple not all races can be all classes, only certain races can be certain classes.  Its a mix and match but by doing it they way they are doing it here it limits the customization so hard.  I just expected more from the developers of Shadowbane. 

You are stuck on an outdated model for base character...   a 1970s D&D mentality that simply doesn't fit what is happening here.  Nor is your understanding of how Crowfall vessels and character builds will have customization... look deeper before looking silly.

Edited by Frykka
NchDu, IHeartFargo, Bramble and 1 other like this

3 hours ago, presharrison said:

So is financial management and stuff a completely foreign subject in your part of the world or something?  Art takes time and costs money. It's perhaps the most labor intensive and costly aspect of game development. They're a small team and can only do so much. Limiting classes to races means way less artwork and keeps expenses in check. Same goes with limiting weapon type class. 

Should of done your research bruh.

Edited by Helix
JamesGoblin and IHeartFargo like this

I seen small teams make games with much better graphics and animations. You guys think the game will suddenly get a whole new look and animations be 100x better, i doubt that.

I think the issue here is that you have not managed your expectations properly and it is causing you to be frustrated and distort what is going on with crowfall.

If your standards for pvp games are heavily weighed by race and gender selection or graphics then crowfall may not be the game for you.

IHeartFargo, sluce, Mr.Kurtz and 1 other like this