Pann

First Look: UI Updates

65 posts in this topic

my feedbacks

1) bring back old style (december 2016-jan 2017) of float combat numbers and enemy nameplates (also fix bug where fraction maps make visible all nameplates throught walls)

current is terrible (uninformative, overlapped, not visible and merge with the background)

2) (long perspective/low priority) make floating numbers customization (current style and possibility to change style like here http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info281-CombatCloud.html)

3) make all hud elements movable

4) make resource bars settings (width, height, info elements)

5) filter/fast search for campaigns

6) enhanced stat page (currently tabs not working)

and make auto scaling with your stats damage on skills/spells tooltips

7) explain equip stats icons somethere

CF_News_Apr18_06_NewItemToolTips.png

Edited by makkon

I was hoping for mechanics (disciplines, AT powers, guild support, CW win conditions) news.

But - on the UI front - the enemy nameplate is effectively unreadable for me and many others.  Small red text on what is generally a green background = horrible.   Billy, are we going to be able to change that?  I'd like to be able to set a background for the nameplate, and use a color combo that lets me actually read the name on the nameplate.

I would also really like to see heraldry for groups in the FFA campaigns.  Even if it's just a randomly assigned crest, it would really help in telling friend from foe in group battles.

Edited by durenthal

2 minutes ago, durenthal said:

I was hoping for design news.

But - on the UI front - the enemy nameplate is effectively unreadable for me and many others.  Small red text on what is generally a green background = horrible.   Billy, are we going to be able to change that?  I'd like to be able to set a background for the nameplate, and use a color combo that lets me actually read the name on the nameplate.

I would also really like to see heraldry for groups in the FFA campaigns.  Even if it's just a randomly assigned crest, it would really help in telling friend from foe in group battles.

+1 to this!  Being partially red/green colour blind does not help with those name plate colour choices at all.

I'm disappointed that you guys are going with the flat style windows for the in-game UI. I really hate that style. :( Flat windows just look unfinished and boring.

JamesGoblin likes this

I hope putting the quality color back into the 'title' line on mouse-over of items/materials is high on the list for making a reappearance!

As well as the ability to move UI pieces fully (*cough* mouse-over target window *cough*) instead of just a handful in the " HUD customization " as it is now.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this develops, as I know aesthetics and "feel" are vital components of any game!

IHeartFargo and JamesGoblin like this

6 minutes ago, mivius said:

As well as the ability to move UI pieces fully (*cough* mouse-over target window *cough*) instead of just a handful in the " HUD customization " as it is now.

Yes please...... I would LOVE to move the mouse over target window to somewhere that is NOT the top left hand side of the screen...

Also, hoping to see a fix for the text wrapping that is occurring on the current equipment tool tips. I am unable to tell what the stats are for most equipment.

That said, can't wait to see the new stuff that is coming.  I am really digging the new window UI, though the text could use some love.

Edited by destrin

Well visually the new menu is good.

See video here!

Was the loss of current / max players for worlds intentional? (and loss of information on location or type)

Will you fix the long standing issue where text is next to unreadable at anything other than 1080p? (e.g. 720p blurry and missing letters odd scaling)

As others have said - the new presentation of both hp bars, nameplates, status effects and healing/damage numbers is a step back from previous iteration, as is the rendering/LoD distance and general clutter in a busy fight above peoples names (e.g. the faction shields as well)

also fast hitting damage or healing powers, such as flamethrower or healing rain are impossible to read

The UI also needs to allow us to hover over stats, attributes or see other relevant details explained such as the damage resistance icons or whether a power is flagged as a projectile or something that would inherit other skill training or bonuses etc

Also the really unclear and inconsistent stat numbers we see all other tooltips for gear, crafting or skill training e.g. 0.1 or 1 x

Edited by Tinnis

36 minutes ago, makkon said:

my feedbacks

1) bring back old style (december 2016-jan 2017) of float combat numbers and enemy nameplates (also fix bug where fraction maps make visible all nameplates throught walls)

current is terrible (uninformative, overlapped, not visible and merge with the background)

2) (long perspective/low priority) make floating numbers customization (current style and possibility to change style like here http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info281-CombatCloud.html)

3) make all hud elements movable

4) make resource bars settings (width, height, info elements)

5) filter/fast search for campaigns

6) enhanced stat page (currently tabs not working)

and make auto scaling with your stats damage on skills/spells tooltips

7) explain equip stats icons somethere

CF_News_Apr18_06_NewItemToolTips.png

Thats a great list. You should see most of those items addressed in the next month or two. The UI Roadmap in the post is pretty vague/general, but there are lots of connected features that are all being touched. 

Also remember that the UI will continue to change and improve even beyond launch. Much of our work has been refactoring the existing framework for faster turnaround times. 

It is a lot of white and (too) bright. I personally prefer a darker UI, but the design is good. I'll get used to the white I guess.

In-game the UI looks great though. Although the font you are using becomes unreadable if you scale it down smaller than default (100%) on a 1080p screen. And please make sure the UI looks great on UHD as well. To be future ready, although for the more fortunate the future is already here.

JamesGoblin and IHeartFargo like this

Just now, Caenth said:

It is a lot of white and (too) bright. I personally prefer a darker UI, but the design is good. I'll get used to the white I guess.

In-game the UI looks great though. Although the font you are using becomes unreadable if you scale it down smaller than default (100%) on a 1080p screen. And please make sure the UI looks great on UHD as well. To be future ready, although for the more fortunate the future is already here.

We are balancing the white UIs still. Its a relatively new concept we are trying to put through the game: basically, any account or "crow" level activity would be presented in our light scheme, while any avatar level activity would be presented in a dark scheme. If you look at our media from Kickstarter, we actually began with an all light scheme for much of our media and layouts. As far as the actual balance of the lightness, give us a little time and faith, and we will find the best balance for what the players want and what we are trying to do creatively.

5 minutes ago, Jah said:

+1 to wanting a better way to identify targets in combat. Trying to read nameplates in a big fight is pretty awful right now.

I know :(  It will be a grand day when this is addressed. Let me champion it and see if it can be moved up.

I think having nameplates and health bars over everyone's head causes lots of clutter, performance issues and makes hiding in the environment harder. I'd like to see a targeting hud that pops up when you put your crosshairs on someone and do away with hp bars and nameplates as they are now.

Take a look at Darkfall Unholy Wars for example.