Pann

Assassin powers & UI - Official discussion thread

133 posts in this topic

Not a fan of the wings concept.  I really enjoyed the concept of climbing though from DAoC which I thought fit in well with stealth based characters and would work great as a polar opposite to the Duelist borrowing ability.

JamesGoblin and Eaden like this

Sounds pretty cool, but this made me cringe a little:

This attack is primarily used as a setup for a five pip Kidney Shot follow up, creating a ‘stun lock’-style of gameplay. Use of this power breaks stealth.

Why are you designing for a "stun-lock" style of game play?... we have too much CC as it is, and with asset loss, who wants to be stun-locked to death?

5 minutes ago, destrin said:

Why are you designing for a "stun-lock" style of game play?... we have too much CC as it is, and with asset loss, who wants to be stun-locked to death?

Had the same feeling. Classic rogue as Durenthal pointed, nice to read, but i'm afraid too of the "stun lock" perspective when we already have a bunchload of CC who, i found, make the combat kinda "bleh" when you get overCCed.

I miss the CC immunity from Shadowbane.

Oh and one more thing : did it open up for the Ranger hide we are waiting since so long? :D 

Edited by Gorwald
JamesGoblin, Kiro and Tofyzer like this

8 minutes ago, durenthal said:

Vanilla WoW rogue.  Solid class concept.  I worry a little about the stunlock and the "very very big" opener from stealth.  Hope there's a discipline that cleanses poisons.

Mithridatism!

10 minutes ago, destrin said:

Sounds like you need to decide if you want to use retaliate if you get opened on or gamble and hold it. There is plenty of counter play coming with Discs.

4 minutes ago, Gorwald said:

Had the same feeling. Classic rogue as Durenthal pointed, nice to read, but i'm afraid too of the "stun lock" perspective when we allready have a bunchload of CC who, i found, make the combat kinda "bleh" when you get overCCed.

I miss the CC immunity from Shadowbane.

Oh and one more thing : did it open up for the Ranger hide we are waiting since so long? :D 

Still waiting on being able to detect "moving" and "standing still" within the power tool before we implement Hide.

Mayhem_, Kiro, Eaden and 2 others like this

Yeah like above said the whole "stunlock" thing brings back bad memories from past games where you basically had no recourse and just watch your toon get locked down and die. Not at all fun or compelling gameplay.

cencal, Kiro and JamesGoblin like this

8 minutes ago, pang said:

Yeah like above said the whole "stunlock" thing brings back bad memories from past games where you basically had no recourse and just watch your toon get locked down and die. Not at all fun or compelling gameplay.

If they balance the damages right it would be a good system.  Since the Assassin has to choose between a high damage burst style opener or a stun lock opener with low damage.  In group play stun locking will be needed to handle parties/groups with multiple healers or high threat targets.  I'm excited to see how this AT plays!

@thomasblair, Will we be able to start training the Assassin passive skills this weekend?

JamesGoblin likes this

Assassin!

Disappointed that there's no screen shot of the in-game render of the Assassin.

Also wary of Assassins being designed for stun-locking when almost every AT has a stun or knockdown. I would suggest removing some of the stuns or knockdowns on other non-Tank ATs (like the Fessor AoE knockdown :p) or increasing the cooldowns on such powers so they're used less regularly.

Edited by coolster50
Strikethrough
JamesGoblin, Tofyzer and chancellor like this

positional-based attacks - You lost my interest in that one sentence.  Give me more of a Shadowbane caster assassin and that would be a fun class to play.

I really hope you aren't comparing stealth to what we have now for the Duelist, which is just hiding the model underneath the ground.  Stealth should be an on screen invis!

Wings is one of the "revolutionary" ideas that was unique in Shadowbane.  I wish you would give levitation to more caster classes, like in SB, so we can actually use the full 3d space of the game.  For now gliding will be a pseudo-fun.

I've disliked the pip system with the Duelist and the Templar, I doubt I will like it here.  Why not go back to a basic mana for all approach; it's clean and simple, stop trying to always improve on things that don't need improvement.

Overall a really disappointing update for a class so many were looking forward to.  Long gone are the days of an Irekei UA Assassin.

Yay 2-3 player stealth teams, bait out the fighters to charge your lines while the stealthys swing around and gut the wigglefingers.

Otherwise known as a trap.

JamesGoblin likes this

Sounds fun, like it will be the new OP class. 

Sounds just like what I expected; a " dev pet" class that will get the best of everything with no negatives (you can try and argue the "light defense" as a negative, but I can argue circles around that).

This looks like an actual DPS class, now if you only could get the other ones to look like DPS classes...

JamesGoblin likes this

Very excited for this archetype, I like that you inherit some of the rogue style from other games.
Regarding the stun lock, when you play enough, you get a feeling of when to use your retaliate to counter the stun lock, also they already have a Diminishing returns on CC in the game, while it could use some work, it will also play a part in that you don't stay stunned till you're dead.
I'm surprised you didn't make a Shadowstep, as a teleport to a target - and then the C ability a smokebomb so the assassin can disengage in a cloud a smoke that blinds surrounding enemies :)

Good stuff ACE, looking forward to testing it!

Edited by Yumx
JamesGoblin likes this