Mox

Ashes of Creation - Kickstarter starts 1st of may!

53 posts in this topic

Q: How does PvP work in Ashes of Creation?

A: PvP in Ashes of Creation is intended to be both organized and organic. We want to create an atmosphere where PvP is meaningful by utilizing different systems that create fluid PvP events including: Castle Sieges, City defense/assaults, Caravans, and a scenario-based Arena combat. For our open world, we have designed a flagging system that severely deters people from griefing other players. 

I'll keep an eye on it, this probably isn't my ideal game (not a fan of flagging and reputation systems).

15 hours ago, miraluna said:

I'll keep an eye on it, this probably isn't my ideal game (not a fan of flagging and reputation systems).

Yeah I'm not sure how this "anti-griefing" system they've proposed will actually play out, but it seems like a great way to deter ANY open-world PvP at all...

@Regulus Yeah AoC definitely seems to lean more towards the "WoW" side of the spectrum, compared to CF leaning towards the SB end, but I'm hoping it won't be quite as generic - they do have some great ideas, after all... But, just as VikingNail says, we'll have to wait and see how they deliver!

2 hours ago, Xarrayne said:

Yeah I'm not sure how this "anti-griefing" system they've proposed will actually play out, but it seems like a great way to deter ANY open-world PvP at all...

@Regulus Yeah AoC definitely seems to lean more towards the "WoW" side of the spectrum, compared to CF leaning towards the SB end, but I'm hoping it won't be quite as generic - they do have some great ideas, after all... But, just as VikingNail says, we'll have to wait and see how they deliver!

Flagging and reputation systems is definitely not my preference either, however it depends on how they implement it. BDO actually had a pretty decent pvp system. Despite the reputation/flag system there was still a lot of open world pvp in the form of guilds declaring wars on each other, so open world GvGs were quite common. The system protected "randos" but encouraged guild vs guild. On top of that add weekly siege wars, arenas and other instanced modes for when you have some downtime and you have a pretty robust pvp scene. 

I have my eye on AoC, the node system sounds very interesting. If they can come up with a pvp system as robust as BDO's it should be fun. A few things concern me about this game though, like tab target combat (hardly any information on that anywhere to be found). Also the mandatory monthly sub on top of a cash shop kinda turn me off atm. The game does look gorgeous though.

Xarrayne likes this

looks very good, waiting to see the combat and the healing

hope it's not another 30min 1v1 combat

Edited by mazh
mythx likes this

- Can we camp and siege other player cities that`s the question? I`ve a notion that 75% game content and KS founding will be suffocated into questing and raid bosses - mainly PvE content for artifacts and Node bosses. The graphics looks neat with soft bunny adventures in a high fantasy setting. And AoC will use flag system to avoid griefing - how can u avoid PvP in an open world with a flag system?

- I believe that is the whole point with open world sandbox pvp. I listen to him earlier this evening before the ice-cream truck since the studio is in LA, and he said between the sentences that pvp will have a flag system like old Ultima Online and pets, lots of combat pets! :) 

oh boy, it was like christmas eve to be flaged red and named criminal or a murder similar like in old Ultima Online - the game kind of started and got interesting at that point.

- And someone wrote a summary about world PvP - I don`t know if it`s speculation or FAQ on the Ashes of Creation forum. 

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/33075/information-world-pvp#latest

P

Player flagging

There are three levels of flagging for world PvP.

• Non-combatant (green) - Everyone in the world starts as a non-combatant. If a Non-Combatant enters a PvP zone (which includes things like castles, city sieges, and caravans) they are automatically flagged as combatant while in the zone and for a period of time after leaving that zone.

• Combatant (purple) - Players are flagged as combatants if they if they enter a PvP zone or if they attack another player. If the attacked players fight back, they are also flagged as combatants, otherwise the attacked player will remain flagged as a non-combatant. Players can kill combatants without repercussions, and are encouraged to do so, since dying while a Combatant means you suffer reduced death penalties (See Player death below).
  • Corrupt (red) - If a combatant player kills a non-combatant player, they will be flagged as corrupt. If a non-combatant attacks a corrupt player, the non-combatant will not flag as a combatant.  

Party members, raid members, guild members and alliance members do not flag each other.

• Player corruption

A player’s corruption score increases with each non-combatant player killed.

The wider the level disparity between the players the more corruption will be gained.

The higher the corruption score, the higher drop percentage when the corrupted player is killed (see Player death below).

The higher the corruption score, the more skill and stat dampening applies, until the corrupt player ultimately becomes ineffective at combat.

Corruption is removed through death. Multiple deaths may be necessary to remove all corruption. There may be other mechanics to reduce corruption.

Corruption has a visible effect on a player’s appearance.

A corrupt player’s location is revealed to bounty hunters.

• Player death

A non-combatant who dies suffers normal penalties, which include experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a percentage of carried raw materials.

A combatant who dies suffers these same penalties, but at half the rate of a non-combatant.

A corrupt player suffers penalties at three times the rate of a non-combatant, and has a chance to drop any carried/equipped items based on their current corruption score. This includes weapons, gear, and inventory items.

After death, players respawn at random spawn locations.

• Bounty hunters

Players can acquire the bounty hunter title through a quest available only to citizens of Military Stage 4 (Town) nodes.

Bounty hunters will be able to see corrupted players on their map.

Corrupted players may kill bounty hunters without acquiring additional corruption score.

Xarrayne likes this

So with other words u basically kill some crafters and miners, and u don`t need to look for pvp - bounty hunters will be able to see corrupted players, lol. That`s a powerful bounty hunter rune @jtoddcoleman with tracking! A bounty hunter can track the whole map after corrupted players. :D

Edited by mythx

This game seems like what GW2 should have been.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some people from the original GW were working on this project, the aesthetic is very similar to GW1.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

I started noticing this. In short, is this just another tab targeting, quest following, theme park grind, for endless repetitive play and no fun?

If so, I don't want to research any further.

Edited by ClockworkOrange