srathor

Just how many ways is the Gatherer screwed.

61 posts in this topic

#1 Dizzy downed. Yep harvesting does not count as in combat. So you start off pretty darn screwed.
#2 Training. It takes forever, way longer than any other thing. So no training combat stuff for you. Yet even more screwed.
#3 Gear. The killers get to wear the nice combat gear. You you get to try and overcome gathering gear. With no useful combat stats. Wow you are truly Screwed!
#4 Potions. Yes you have to drink potions to get a decent amount of skill, and if you die they go away. Plus all of your gear takes a hit. 
#5 Loot. You are just a giant stupid pinata. You know what points of interest are in game right now. The gatherers.  Go kill them like baby seals and collect all their crap they just kindly harvested for you. 
#6 Food. You are burning through stamina at a massive rate. So you need to eat more. You certainly don't want to waste time while on potions to need to get apples. So you carry a few extra. So when you get ganked, then screwed, then looted, they get your apples too. 
#7 Tools. They break really really easy. Like 10 nodes easy, maybe 12 or 15 if trained. So wait 2 minutes while potions are ticking or carry two spares on you. (I normally go through 2 1/2 tools during a potion duration. The screwing is getting into epic range now. 
#8 Gathering "Noise" You get to announce where you are to all the slobbering wolves out there. We went to plaid level of screwing. (Thanks Tinnis)

If you want hard core, hard mode play a gatherer. The challenge awaits. 

Edited by srathor
Added stuff
maquefel, baska, Lil_Mayhem and 6 others like this

Your list had me chuckling; spot on, but still funny.

Not sure why, but #8 had me thinking of plaid kilts.

I don't use potions, because I want to experience what live is going to be like, and I'm really hoping they take away potions and increase the harvesting rates instead.  I completely agree with #1, any weapon out should put you into a combat stance.  While the game play doesn't work this way, picks or axes are certainly capable tools for defense in RL.

IHeartFargo and anhrezcf like this

I do realize Harvesting is meant to put me at risk, but it seems a little too much at the moment.

The forced zoom of the camera limits my field of vision, any attempt to move my characters view too much while targeting the node causes a miss and the dizzy down mechanic if harvesting seems a bit much. Seems like any of the 1 of these should be enough to create 'risk' compared to just playing 

@anhrezcf You bring up a great point about risk, and as I think about it, there is a different way that maybe we could persuade ACE to view risk.  Instead of risk to the individual player, maybe we need to think of risk in larger terms of not being able to have access to some nodes.

EvE had 0.0 space, which is where there were no in game penalties for PvPing, it was the wild west of the game.  However controlled 0.0 space was the safest place for miners to run operations.  Having comms in systems jumps away from the miners, the miners were easily able to hole up before any individual trouble came their way.  There was very little risk to the miner as a person; however there was great risk to the corps or alliance that controlled that space and mined the asteroids.  If a major war was fought over that space, then the miners were at a heavy risk for losing the economic backbone of their corps.

Why can't we in Crowfall have less individual risk and more guild based risk when it comes to harvesting?

Edited by Teufel
grammar/spelling

i think its kinda supposed to be like that. Not sure if will turn out to be a good game flow. 

3 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Sounds like you shouldn't be playing an mmorpg as a solo player.

that attitude has ruined so many MMOs.

Edited by drunk
IHeartFargo and Gromschlog like this

2 hours ago, drunk said:
6 hours ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

Sounds like you shouldn't be playing an mmorpg as a solo player.

2 hours ago, drunk said:

that attitude has ruined so many MMOs.

While I agree with Drunks response I feel as if VIKINGNAIL was making the statement with a different intent.  That being my belief - lol@VIKINGNAIL

24 minutes ago, Mr. Kurtz said:

My intent is that I think srathor has not been contextualizing his experience properly and also seems to have started complaining since the first day he tested.  Which is fine, he has a right to complain, but people who are quick to complain are like the boy who cried wolf.  If you go into something looking for reasons to complain, you are going to find reasons to complain, whether they are good reasons or not.  The nature of his complaints are a bit silly to me.

1.  Dizzy down:  This mechanic is debated at times but the reality of it is, if you are caught with your pants down that is your fault, not the game making you "screwed".

2.  Training is training, you make a choice to follow a role and the roles aren't supposed to be magically balanced in progression.  It's also silly to expect them to be balanced since harvesting is probably the activity you can do most around the clock.  You won't always find people to fight easily in offhours, a crafter is throttled by supply, but a harvester can pretty much run around finding stuff to whack at any time of the day. 

3.  Again this is an mmorpg, gear will play a role, and a harvester in harvesting gear should be disadvantaged, so either be aware of your surroundings or play with a group.

4.  Potions are a testing thing and are fairly easy to hoard in the current testing environment, so yea you aren't really screwed.  As for durability hits, everyone takes that in death, so no it isn't something specific to a gatherer being "screwed".

5.  Only bad gatherers are loot pinatas with the current implementation of spirit bank.  Some might say you are super unscrewed because of how the spirit bank works.

6.  Everyone uses apples and stamina when they play, play with other people, work as a group, apples are easy to get.

7. The tools could use some love but this is a balance issue and doesn't really "screw" a gatherer over, it's fairly easy right now to maintain a flow of tools, unless you are going for god tier stuff, which no, sorry, isn't supposed to just be gifted to you.  That being said they will probably balance this stuff a bit more, pre-alpha and all. 

8.  The game has sound, oh my!

This is a social game, a harvester shouldn't expect to have things easy solo, just like a combatant shouldn't expect to destroy everything solo.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL
NchDu likes this

@VIKINGNAIL  I can only assume as I am not the speaker that you are referring to srathors use of adjectives.  I feel as if you are doing no different just from a different perspective with the exception of you antagonizing with malice aforethought.  At least that is my perception.

Everyone contributes in their own manner and I believe you are doing the same I just don't necessarily agree with how you are doing it.  Much like you with Srathor.

If you are just trash talking in the spirit of the game then I totally misinterpreted and "my bad".

I personally don't take the loss to heart as it is part of the game.  It is what makes it a challenge and fun.  It fosters drive and perseverance.  

Good luck and I hope to see you in game.

IHeartFargo and Vectious like this

20 minutes ago, Mr. Kurtz said:

@VIKINGNAIL  I can only assume as I am not the speaker that you are referring to srathors use of adjectives.  I feel as if you are doing no different just from a different perspective with the exception of you antagonizing with malice aforethought.  At least that is my perception.

Everyone contributes in their own manner and I believe you are doing the same I just don't necessarily agree with how you are doing it.  Much like you with Srathor.

If you are just trash talking in the spirit of the game then I totally misinterpreted and "my bad".

I personally don't take the loss to heart as it is part of the game.  It is what makes it a challenge and fun.  It fosters drive and perseverance.  

Good luck and I hope to see you in game.

I'm not trash-talking and there is no malice, I am just blunt.

If someone shares opinions that I think are bad for the game, I simply address those opinions and the reason I see flaws in them. 

That being said, good or bad, people should always share their opinions, but obviously less hyperbolic or dramatic opinions are always better.

Mr. Kurtz and IHeartFargo like this

OP is spot on. Harvesters are loud, bulging loot pinatas. And they do burn through resources trying to accumulate quality resources. And they have to dedicate training to harvesting to be good at it.

They do make excellent bait, though.

IHeartFargo likes this

1 minute ago, chancellor said:

OP is spot on. Harvesters are loud, bulging loot pinatas. And they do burn through resources trying to accumulate quality resources. And they have to dedicate training to harvesting to be good at it.

They do make excellent bait, though.

They aren't loot pinatas, because they can instantly bank stuff and avoid dropping anything.  These claims are ridiculous.

Instant access to spirit banks isn't planned for soft launch.

We will have to use local banks in the real campaigns and wait for CW end to transfer between worlds.

It's silly to care what happens in test, except to show how future CF will be. This point you've made yourself, repeatedly.

I am not sure if I agree with adjusting the levels of the sound but possibly the duration and distance.  I am also curious if the Dev's would be hindered by differentiating between night and day.

As Chancellor stated using what won't be doesn't provide any substance.  In any case I hope everyone keeps providing their opinions the Dev's can determine how they want things to be.

19 minutes ago, chancellor said:

Instant access to spirit banks isn't planned for soft launch.

We will have to use local banks in the real campaigns and wait for CW end to transfer between worlds.

It's silly to care what happens in test, except to show how future CF will be. This point you've made yourself, repeatedly.

Ok so you are assuming they are going to be loot pinatas, not that they actually are loot pinatas.  Of course you have no actual evidence of them being loot pinatas aside from the concept that a solo harvester is at a disadvantage in combat, which is to be expected, and they can solve that problem through social elements. 

I'm not quite sure what the problem is here, you want a game where solo harvesters aren't in danger?

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

7 minutes ago, Mr. Kurtz said:

I am not sure if I agree with adjusting the levels of the sound but possibly the duration and distance.  I am also curious if the Dev's would be hindered by differentiating between night and day.

As Chancellor stated using what won't be doesn't provide any substance.  In any case I hope everyone keeps providing their opinions the Dev's can determine how they want things to be.

The sound right now is rudimentary compared to other games.  I hope they put some serious work into good 3d sound with good volumes based on distance.  It's another way to add to the skill-ceiling as most players are awful at soundsourcing and reacting correctly/quickly.

Mr. Kurtz and IHeartFargo like this

I realize it's a tough time for solo harvesters at the moment, but you know what risk you put yourself at when you start gathering on a FFA server alone.

1: Dizzy down is awfully punishing, maybe a discipline in the future that prevents dizzy down when harvesting?

2: Training, we'll see what the remake of the skills will do for the harvesters, they did say it'll come soon.

3: Gear, those killers had to harvest, or protect their harvesting friends in order to get that gear, before they went out killing you.

4: Potions, will the harvesting potions still be a thing in the live game?

5: Loot, right now you can just spam put your stuff in the spirit bank, so maybe you should be a bit more aware of what you take out of your spirit bank, maybe dont take full stacks of potions out, instead take 1 of each potion out and like 3-4 apples? That'll last for your 10 minute duration or whatever it is, then you can take out new potions when there's like 1 min left on your current ones.

6: Food, as I said take a few apples out at a time, so when you've eaten your 3-4 apples, you can take 3-4 new apples out while you farm more, it takes 5 seconds top.

7: Tools, yeah I guess, I don't harvest my self.

8: Noise, that is the risk right now, but you know what the risk is if you harvest solo, maybe stop once in a while and look around, instead of just pounding away on the thing you want to harvest, I know you lose some time on your potions, but it is a PvP game after all, you shouldn't be able to do what you want all the time without the risk of being punished.

So maybe ask for people to harvest with, if you want to do it on the FFA servers, be a bit more aware of how you manage your items in and out of your spirit bank, and be a bit more aware of your surroundings, maybe play a Duelist and put the burrow on the 4 key, so you can burrow -> teleport instantly by just spamming the 4 key.

NchDu likes this