Holyvigil

BDO news piece perfectly describes why I like BDO

67 posts in this topic

 

27 minutes ago, XpCjU said:

No offence or anything, but why would you want crowfall to be like BDO if BDO already exists? 

No offense taken. Why would anyone want Crowfall to be like any other MMO or video game? Why would you want it to be like SB, SWG, UO, SC, or any other game? Because you liked certain aspects of it. I liked these parts of BDO and no video game doesn't use things previous games have used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holyvigil said:

This article: http://www.pcgamer.com/black-desert-online-isnt-a-great-mmo-but-it-is-a-great-sandbox-rpg/

perfectly describes why I enjoyed BDO as a solo player and I hope that ACE could learn from it. I'm sure that Pearl Abyss did not intend for this part of the game to be the best part of their game but that's how it turned out.

I hope ACE never learn from bdo.

BDO = solo, crazy donate, jerky combat, million animation game without economy (and without meaning)

all they did ok is Illusion of the living world, which are reached by hundreds of mechanic like fishing and such.

coolwaters, mythx, DravoiX and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like the solo aspect of BDO, that's good for you, but if you come for this experience to Crowfall, you probably will be disappointed in that aspect because you are not the player type ACE is targeting with their game.

Doesn't mean you can't do anything as a solo player though. I'm sure up to a certain degree you can play Crowfall without having to rely on and help other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are BDOs next gen controls in question because of their publishers business practices?, or are unparalleled control schemes bad because they designed a frantic fighting system.

BDO has cutting edge gameplay mechanisms, whether you appreciate it's total game experience or not. 

Aguise likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, makkon said:

I hope ACE never learn from bdo.

BDO = solo, crazy donate, jerky combat, million animation game without economy (and without meaning)

all they did ok is Illusion of the living world, which are reached by hundreds of mechanic like fishing and such.

And I hope ACE disagrees with you and that instead of never learning from BDO they learn from their mistakes.

Edited by Holyvigil
baerin likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 0:45 PM, Holyvigil said:

This article: http://www.pcgamer.com/black-desert-online-isnt-a-great-mmo-but-it-is-a-great-sandbox-rpg/

perfectly describes why I enjoyed BDO as a solo player and I hope that ACE could learn from it. I'm sure that Pearl Abyss did not intend for this part of the game to be the best part of their game but that's how it turned out.

BDO was horrible, and the whole point of MMOs is to play with other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Pixelmancer said:

BDO was horrible, and the whole point of MMOs is to play with other people.

BDO was fun and the whole point of MMOs is to have fun.

bahamutkaiser likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holyvigil said:

BDO was fun and the whole point of MMOs is to have fun.

The whole point of MMOs is to have fun *with other players*, I think most would argue.

Point was you found BDO fun because of its solo content, thats great, but CF will be its own game and like others said going solo in CF will likely be a very different experience than you had in BDO. Thats by design and making CF more solo friendly kind of goes against that design.

Edited by pang
BarriaKarl and XpCjU like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Holyvigil said:

BDO was fun and the whole point of MMOs is to have fun.

If you want a solo sandbox fantasy game why not just play Elder Scrolls, the new Zelda, the new Final Fantasy, Horizon: Zero Dawn or one of the dozens of others instead of trying to put a square peg in a round hole and ruin things for people who actually like MMOs? It's a really entitled attitude. It's like walking into a bakery and demanding they figure out how to sell you a steak instead of putting the new batch of muffins in the oven when there's a steakhouse right next door.

Me and a lot of other people have been waiting years for a game that knows who its audience is and doesn't do everything half way in a doomed attempt to please everyone. I haven't had an MMO I could stay with long term since Shadowbane. If you want players to be the AI for NPCs in your solo game just go play SWTOR. That's basically what it is already. Plus it has a story. You'll be happier there. Crowfall's whole thing so far has been that it's not like that. That it's an MMO for those of us who liked the way things were before WoW ruined the genre.

Edited by Pixelmancer
ThaddisSabbah and ArthanM like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BDO, WoW, GW2, Aion, DCUO, SWTOR, and many others..

 

All have good and bad points.  Lets just hope the ACE guys can cherry pick the best of out all of them as suits Crowfall.  No need to reinvent a wheel if the wheel is as good as possible.  However, if you CAN in fact upgrade that wheel, then please do so.

 

But just to be on the safe side, lets not have the constant pot spamming and I-frame/superarmor-or-die kinda combat that BDO has please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, daegog said:

BDO, WoW, GW2, Aion, DCUO, SWTOR, and many others..

 

All have good and bad points.  Lets just hope the ACE guys can cherry pick the best of out all of them as suits Crowfall.  No need to reinvent a wheel if the wheel is as good as possible.  However, if you CAN in fact upgrade that wheel, then please do so.

 

But just to be on the safe side, lets not have the constant pot spamming and I-frame/superarmor-or-die kinda combat that BDO has please.

Those are absolutely the worst possible games for Crowfall to use anything from. They're at the exact opposite end of the MMO spectrum. Reinventing the wheel? More like putting the wheel on a boat. The kinds of games that should be on the list are Eve Online, pre-Trammel UO, Shadowbane, Fallen Earth, etcetera. Though why you're so enthusiastic about them copying other games is beyond me.

Edited by Pixelmancer
arbiter and ThaddisSabbah like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pixelmancer said:

Those are absolutely the worst possible games for Crowfall to use anything from. They're at the exact opposite end of the MMO spectrum. Reinventing the wheel? More like putting the wheel on a boat. The kinds of games that should be on the list are Eve Online, pre-Trammel UO, Shadowbane, Fallen Earth, etcetera. Though why you're so enthusiastic about them copying other games is beyond me.

And what exactly is so horrible about WoWs willingness to see a great idea from its playerbase and incorporate it into the game (ala mods)?

What is so terrible about the polish of GW2?

What is so horrible about the simple accessibility of DCUO?

Is the creativity shown in SWTORs story telling just the worst thing imaginable?

I am not advocating taking every aspect of any mmo (the ones you or I listed), but practically large game has something it does well, you simply have to look for it.  You see big name games and you freak out without thinking outside the box.  Lets hope the ACE guys are a bit more open minded.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daegog said:

And what exactly is so horrible about WoWs willingness to see a great idea from its playerbase and incorporate it into the game (ala mods)?

What is so terrible about the polish of GW2?

What is so horrible about the simple accessibility of DCUO?

Is the creativity shown in SWTORs story telling just the worst thing imaginable?

I am not advocating taking every aspect of any mmo (the ones you or I listed), but practically large game has something it does well, you simply have to look for it.  You see big name games and you freak out without thinking outside the box.  Lets hope the ACE guys are a bit more open minded.

 

Those are all PvE focused themepark games. This is a PvP only sandbox game. Surely you can see the conflict there. 

Just now, daegog said:

You see big name games and you freak out without thinking outside the box.

I see the game that single handedly destroyed the genre and ensured there hasn't been a decent MMO since 2003 and freak out because I'm terrified Artcraft will start thinking inside the box. I'd also just like to point out that the guy with a list of mainstream casual games he wants Crowfall to rip off is lecturing me about thinking inside the box. Mind. Blown.

arbiter likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pixelmancer said:

Those are all PvE focused themepark games. This is a PvP only sandbox game. Surely you can see the conflict there. 

I see the game that single handedly destroyed the genre and ensured there hasn't been a decent MMO since 2003 and freak out because I'm terrified Artcraft will start thinking inside the box. I'd also just like to point out that the guy with a list of mainstream casual games he wants Crowfall to rip off is lecturing me about thinking inside the box. Mind. Blown.

Still, your overly hung up on terms that do not mean a great deal.  There are terrible sandbox/themepark games, there are great sandbox/themepark games.

I do not care how they label crowfall (a thronewar simulator?) I just want the game to be good.  Consider the VAST majority of things in this game are not original, and that is fine.  It's about improving on what has come before it.

If you feel that those games I listed are 100% without any merit whatsoever, that nothing can be gained by examining those games and figuring out what parts would work with crowfall, then you are delusional.

bahamutkaiser likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.