Pann

Skill mechanics - Official discussion thread

465 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Yoink said:

I know there will be more added to VIP but this isn't enticing me to buy VIP. It's annoying me into buying VIP.

OK, i appologize for the misunderstanding.  on your altered statement i conpletely agree with you which is why i am proposing that non-VIP login requirements for not falling behind on skills should be no more than once every 24 hours.  Meaning a non-VIP can queue what ever they want and it will queue for at least 24 hours worth of stuff.  if they hop back in within 24 hours then they can refresh their skill queue which will reset how long their queue will run for by another 24 hours.  i think the time for the queue would be better at 30 or 36 hours, but a lot of folks are concerned about Tark's 20 plus alt army.  Some players want ACE to take more agressive steps to try to keep folks from doing that as a norm.  in fact some would like to see trying to operate alts essentially be painful to do and thus not wanted.  Unfortunately alot of steps that are good at discouraging mass quantities of alts hurts the single account Non-VIP.  Oh and to make VIP appealing... Multi month queue time.  If i did not already have over 14 years of VIP stashed up its multi month queue time that would seal the deal on paying for it.  :)

Edit: when i said alts i meant accounts and not character slots.

Edited by XiousDs

12 hours ago, Yoink said:

I know there will be more added to VIP but this isn't enticing me to buy VIP. It's annoying me into buying VIP.

Very true, but only from the perspective of what we have now. If they started with this, it would be seen as gaining a convenience with VIP instead of giving non-VIP the shaft. 

And to be fair, they did say VIP will probably get skill querying, and non-VIP wont. And they do, now its just at the Node level. 

However, i do argue that they also need to adjust the non-linear skill gain. 

Blair even makes a mistake and trys to divide the 72 hours in to 5 parts and say that between pips its 14 hours. Which is incorrect. In the same post it says what 20/100 in the old system use to take is what the first pip will take, which is alot less then 14h.

You are talking about possibly waking up in the middle of the night twice if you started a new node, thats just ridiculously bothersome. 

They need to relook at it and make sure that on a Tier1 node, it doesn't force you to login more than once in a 12h period and no more than twice in a 24h period. 

To keep up with VIP should require effort, but not a divorce from a sleepy spouse. 

10 minutes ago, Vectious said:

Very true, but only from the perspective of what we have now. If they started with this, it would be seen as gaining a convenience with VIP instead of giving non-VIP the shaft. 

And to be fair, they did say VIP will probably get skill querying, and non-VIP wont. And they do, now its just at the Node level. 

However, i do argue that they also need to adjust the non-linear skill gain. 

Blair even makes a mistake and trys to divide the 72 hours in to 5 parts and say that between pips its 14 hours. Which is incorrect. In the same post it says what 20/100 in the old system use to take is what the first pip will take, which is alot less then 14h.

You are talking about possibly waking up in the middle of the night twice if you started a new node, thats just ridiculously bothersome. 

They need to relook at it and make sure that on a Tier1 node, it doesn't force you to login more than once in a 12h period and no more than twice in a 24h period. 

To keep up with VIP should require effort, but not a divorce from a sleepy spouse. 

From the skill thread.

On 7/6/2017 at 11:53 AM, thomasblair said:

No we didn't make a linear curve, here's the math on a Tier 1 skill-

Pip1 - 2.39hr  Pip2 - 4.67hr Pip3 - 9.14hr Pip4 - 17.94hr Pip5 - 35.2hr

Tier * Hour is how long a Pip will take in this model.

I really think they should consider moving to a simple fibonacci series of even hours.

Tier one 3-6-9-15-24.

Every other Tier, multiplied by the tier number.

It would shorten the duration a bit from 69.34 hours to 57, but they can make that up, if they even need to, by bumping some tier 1's to tier 2's.

One option, one I don't like but is a compromise, would be to require non-VIP to make the choice at the point they are allowed to move up or onto the next training node.

So (3-6-9  [Login] 15 [Login] 24). That would be breaks of 18 hrs, 15 hrs, and 24 hrs.   Much more reasonable than 2.39,4,67, 9.14.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
XiousDs likes this

TBH they could also just make all the skills be train once, why have pips when it makes all the problems... it seems off. The pips are the core of the problem due to how you need to manage them and how they affect the players that needs to change them every 3 hours. If they removed them and had WHOLE skills instead then you would get one every 72 hours and that is manageable even if you fall behind some hours, because you wont loose that much. 

I just dont get the design behind the now current iteration that is coming in to play in a month or so.

Again, even the most money laundering "Free to Play" games understand that VIP should never give you more than double, most give mere 50% exp buffs and so on.

VIP being able to queue what is effectively 5 pips a login while standard players only get 1 is crazy. Not in a good way but "crazy" as in "this insane idea will drive away players with self respect".

A much better standard:vip ratio would be say... 3:5. (bonus points if you can queue pips from different nodes, that seems a lot better).

Gummiel, why_me, deiphoboz and 1 other like this