Godma

Make it pay to play

59 posts in this topic

Anyone who ever has played a good mmorpg would be totally willing to pay $10/mo. Then you don't go down that slippery slope of P2W, you have less juveniles in game, and I honestly doubt it would affect your subscription count much if any and you'd make the money back considering they're all paying. But what do I know, I'm just a player!

Edited by Pann
Reset thread title from all caps
JamesGoblin likes this

16 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

I find that in PvP games I would prefer to play vs skilled players so I'd rather as many people play as possible. 

Good point, but there are so many factors to consider here. Server population can be unaffected by total subscriptions, etc.. just seems to me like F2P is becoming the way to go and I'm ignorant on this but my feeling is the playerbase all pumping money into the project every month is a huge weight off the devs shoulders. Huge weight off devs shoulders = better game.

JamesGoblin likes this

7 minutes ago, Godma said:

Good point, but there are so many factors to consider here. Server population can be unaffected by total subscriptions, etc.. just seems to me like F2P is becoming the way to go and I'm ignorant on this but my feeling is the playerbase all pumping money into the project every month is a huge weight off the devs shoulders. Huge weight off devs shoulders = better game.

The number they've aimed for to thrive and flourish is pretty modest so I don't think that's going to be a big deal. 

JamesGoblin likes this

It's best to allow players to always have access to most of the game's services. Accessing chat, forums, your in game resources, these things should always be available.

If a game looks dead you're less likely to subscribe. No one is logging online during your play time, you're less likely to stay subscribed. Suddenly no one is logging online because they can't justify $10 to hunt down content because.. no one is subscribing. This is the real slippery slope.

Buy the game once, check and see if others are active in a new campaign. If goes poorly at least you didn't waste cash. Hopefully there will be a steady increase in players as we move from CW to CW, season to season.

JamesGoblin and BarriaKarl like this

In a niche game like this pay to play wouldn't work and the game would certainly die a quick death (less than 2yrs).

Market research shows that the majority of people are adverse to pay to play. I don't remember the exact number the amount of months a player spends playing a game but it was pretty low. The system set up here will essentially allow people to come and go as they please (which is a good thing).  

Dondagora and JamesGoblin like this

A monthly sub would be awesome, but get real, in 2017 it isn't going to happen. The vast majority of the target audience for these games is going to be unemployed/underemployed/poor people or children - folks who can't or won't pay a sub.

JamesGoblin likes this

I don't mind if they swap to a sub game. But really hope they polish the game to the state that the in shop items can actually be seen and used in game. I mean I bet a ton of people bought mounts + dragon statues and all that flashy flashy bling bling ponies.  But they can't really show those things off. 

ChosenofCastle and JamesGoblin like this

Business model of Crowfall was described on Kickstarter campaign.
I suppose I'm not the only one who decided to invest in a large measure basing over the kind of expense I should have expected later.

No subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative DirectorNo subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director

I reckon ACE is aware a change on this regard should upset the best part of bakers.
This is the worst suggestion in CF story so far. 

Edited by RikForFun
Tinnis and JamesGoblin like this

8 minutes ago, RikForFun said:

Business model of Crowfall was described on Kickstarter campaign.
I suppose I'm not the only one who decided to invest in a large measure basing over the kind of expense I should have expected later.

No subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative DirectorNo subscription required! Buy once and play forever."It's like the unholy love child of Game of Thrones, EVE Online and The Walking Dead." - J. Todd Coleman, Creative Director

I reckon ACE is aware a change on this regard should upset the best part of bakers.
This is the worst suggestion in CF story so far. 

yea, their hands are tied in this capacity, changing it would be PR/backer suicide. (and not even good business sense in this day and age)

gamers and the game industry has really moved away from sub model, at least we aren't free to play thank god....

(ofc i would of preferred sub personally, as i'm old fashioned, but that ship has sailed both generally and for crowfall)

Edited by Tinnis
KDSProm and JamesGoblin like this

Looking at Guild Wars 2, WoW, EvE Onlie, F2P is great for the game, because it helps to build a population with the "sunday players"(as well as let them learn the game first instead of spending money on a subscription only to realize you dont like your ship being blown up over and over again) for the more "engaged" players allowing for a better economy within the game. bigger battles and faster resource gathering for building the EK's. On the other hand, people that might not spend 20$/month on a sub might spend a 5-er from time to time to buy a cosmetic item or something to donate for the Guild (for example in GW2 the transfer between servers was such an item, where although nobody spent money on the game, the guild would jump between servers after they depopulate for better WvWvW).

For Crowfall's usecase, it'll be a great chance for people used to other games to learn the game first before engaging their wallet regularly while providing cannon fodder for the campaigns. I also treat it as an incentive for the devs to be more creative about introducing new cosmetic/core updates to the game, since you want the customer to buy a certain item instead of prolonging their sub just to grind through another "new" zone with same mobs you already killed millions of times... but with new models this time!

JamesGoblin likes this

1 hour ago, bahamutkaiser said:

Has switching from fee to pay, to subscription ever worked? Ever. 

They don't even have to do it that way.

They only need to make the VIP subscription extremely desirable.

JamesGoblin and mourne like this

On 7/24/2017 at 3:42 AM, Tinnis said:

gamers and the game industry has really moved away from sub model, at least we aren't free to play thank god....

And look at the poorly made socks games it has produced.

edit: I'm with you on the sub preference.

Edited by coolwaters
Bramble and JamesGoblin like this

4 minutes ago, bahamutkaiser said:

That's always made healthy successful games...

That's an extremely vague comment. Care to give some examples of games that were wonderful, ruined by a healthy subscription? Great games ruined by tying content consumption to investment in the game?

It's a ridiculous concept. The free to play model ruins gaming. This is especially true in a game with this level of asset destruction and PVP. I'll give you the opposite specific example of your vague comment: Shadowbane was a game many of us loved when it had a subscription. They went free-to-play and everyone had a dozen alt accounts. It custard ruined it.