mandalore

Box to win

14 posts in this topic

I hear rumors of people owning sometimes 10 accounts and more than a few players owning 2-4 accounts to circumvent the training systems.  Is the money sold from those accounts worth getting the reputation of pay to win?  What is the artcraft plan to handle boxing and undermining the entire specialized crafting system?

@jtoddcoleman @Tyrant @thomasblair

SiriusOCC, LockkOn and JamesGoblin like this

Based on your logic any mmorpg ever with any sort of buy2play fee is p2w, because people have been using multiple accounts since the beginning of mmorpgs and it is ALWAYS going to have some form of advantage. 

ACE didn't design their systems because they want people to buy extra accounts.  They may not have done the best job designing to avoid the appeal of doing that, but they aren't sitting there specifically pushing decisions hoping it will goad people into buying extra accounts.

JamesGoblin, Orleans and elvo like this

4 hours ago, mandalore said:

I hear rumors of people owning sometimes 10 accounts and more than a few players owning 2-4 accounts to circumvent the training systems.  Is the money sold from those accounts worth getting the reputation of pay to win?  What is the artcraft plan to handle boxing and undermining the entire specialized crafting system?

@jtoddcoleman @Tyrant @thomasblair

Managing and gearing up 6 accounts is in no way shape or form Pay2Win because you actually have to PLAY on those accounts to make them effective.   Passive training of crafting skills doesn't automatically create a fire and forget machine that pumps out effortless gear, in fact an alt crafter will need specific gear to enhance their crafting skill and a workbench slotted with a high quality thrall and access to a factory, that will take WORK by the owning player, in addition to taking away time that player could be working on gear for their main toon.

What is preventing you from running multiple accounts?   Money? or the actual added time commitment it will take to flesh out all of those accounts.

There are currently 56 separate crafting and gathering skill lines, more are coming...   only one player has expressed a desire to expend the effort to use them all.   Most multi account users will only cover a tiny slice of the gear pipeline and will still be required to interact extensively with other players  in the economy.

Edited by Frykka

If you don't think it won't give a crafting advantage then I'd like to sell you a healing elixir that will cure cancer, aids and replace missing chromosomes.  I'm not a crafting fanatic, it doesn't impact me directly but it will chase away those poor bastards that want to and when I'm doing taking away your assets I will need another victim.  

JamesGoblin likes this

1 hour ago, Frykka said:

Managing and gearing up 6 accounts is in no way shape or form Pay2Win because you actually have to PLAY on those accounts to make them effective.  

Well, no more P2W than VIP with Crafting + Combat general skill lines would be anyway.

KrakkenSmacken and JamesGoblin like this

Alt accounts for crafting and training arent the same as Premium Ammo in World of Tanks or Premium Gear that is hidden behind a paywall.    Alt accounts arent Pay to Win, at best it is Pay for Convenience.  Do Free to Play people cry about Subscription Players being Pay to Win in other games?  Do a lot of people believe that if you give someone money and you receive a good or service that you have Paid to Win something?

JamesGoblin and GRiPSViGiL like this

There are a few things that could slow that alt train down. Limits on how many players can join a guild, if this limits them from uses forges or other tools then it would be better to have another active player than an alt. In game activity besides plugging in resources into recipes.

Thralls could be soulbound, and if the import rule only allow you to bring in so much stuff, then a multi account user would have to find, kill, and safely bring back a thrall for each alt. A task better suited for a one account active player.

Nothing is going to stop someone who is determined. But at least we could push the benefit of having more than one account to the outer bands and the eternal kingdom.

It would be much cooler if crafters were more like junglers, they go out and farm some monsters, thralls, etc. Some possible 5man player vs environment  type stuff as well as some solo gameplay. Everyone should be involved in surviving the environment, harvesters, crafters, PvPers, etc. Getting all the players thinking about how the world could affect their gameplay will make a much sticker gameplay. You help a crafter acquire thralls, they get you armed faster.

Also resource monsters, its more fun to kill stuff. A golem made of gold that you can mine afterwards? Genius.

If the path of least resistance is one player to many accounts, it will dominate the gameplay.

JamesGoblin likes this

People should have invested less in higher tier packages and bought accounts with the money instead. It's not like the packages give much of value anyway. I've since realized the hundreds of dollars I put into acquiring EK parcels and castle parts was essentially a waste of money since those things will basically have no functional use in a solo EK. I have like 4 accounts still, but instead I could have had like 6 or 7 accounts and get more value from them in the long term.

On 7/27/2017 at 10:31 AM, DocHollidaze said:

People should have invested less in higher tier packages and bought accounts with the money instead. It's not like the packages give much of value anyway. I've since realized the hundreds of dollars I put into acquiring EK parcels and castle parts was essentially a waste of money since those things will basically have no functional use in a solo EK. I have like 4 accounts still, but instead I could have had like 6 or 7 accounts and get more value from them in the long term.

I agree.  I missed that window when they were allowing selling off pieces of your KS bundle for "currency" which could be used to purchase additional accounts.  I would have definitely gotten at least 2 more accounts.  Now I'm stuck with 1 and a bunch of EK fluff.

additional accounts here not pay to win, but pay to comfort and independently(selfish) playing

this mean the guy who have alot of accounts can at start be very flexible and provide for themselves anything he want (mostly crafting and even gathering with some stealth classes)

for regular players this effect is negative for sure

http://originalbook.ru/dead-souls-n-v-gogol-english/

2 hours ago, mandalore said:

It is if you can cover every spectrum of crafting as a single person. 

Crafting? sure one person could cover all the crafting. Good luck getting the manpower in harvesting the material needed to supply your crafters, or the protection to even transport said material to the crafting stations.

Speaking of crafting stations, you still need manpower to defend them from enemy players/guilds. 

Hilgodestroyer likes this