Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dolmar

Taming

16 posts in this topic

With the current state of the AI do you think taming and mounts will still be a thing? At this point adding mounts will change the dynamic up vastly.

And since the games AI is quite possibly the worst i have ever seen even in alpha its got me wondering.

coolwaters likes this

13 minutes ago, Unfolded said:

Worst you have seen in an alpha because this is "pre-alpha".

Oh excuse me then worst I have seen in a PRE-ALPHA especially a 3 year long PRE-Alpha.

I have been in a multitude of pre-alpha ,alpha ,beta quite possibly before you were even born. :)

I know Crowfall is not contingent on the AI abilities as it is a more pvp centrist game. But, with that said, my question remains.

coolwaters likes this

4 hours ago, dolmar said:

With the current state of the AI do you think taming and mounts will still be a thing? At this point adding mounts will change the dynamic up vastly.

And since the games AI is quite possibly the worst i have ever seen even in alpha its got me wondering.

If you watch one of the recent Q&A the devs both mention they haven't started working on  mounts/caravans yet or taming and will be coming later. So yes, you'll see it just not for a while.

coolwaters likes this

Mounts don't require AI, at least in their standard functional use - they're just a movement speed buff with an animation.

I'm not entirely sure taming should be a feature they should focus on, seems a bit too fluff at this stage.

The mount system in Darkfall was one of the better ones I've seen in MMOs, and they was very basic.

Mounts would change the pace of combat a lot, and mounts mean the size of the worlds could increase in scale - which is better IMO.

Anthrage likes this

I hope taming makes the cut as well for launch. I always loved it in UO. Really loved it in SWag. I feel like SB missed an opportunity there having only temporary NPC control abilities. 

Edited by coolwaters
dolmar likes this

Mounts (yea) and pets (boo) were promised during Kickstarter, so I don't see ACE abandoning them.

They're just a complication the devs can do without until later in the testing process.

Edited by chancellor
added an opinion.
Anthrage and coolwaters like this

Ya. If they had the models and animations they could easily add in mounts. And with existing models and animations they could easily add in taming too.

Pretty much they would need an ability that swaps out the friendly list from other animals to yourself and teammates. I mean we know a friendly list already exist otherwise animals would kill each other. Then when its friendly with you just have it always move towards you or a position next to you. And finally when a button is pushed it then moves toward your enemy and attacks.

That said both systems and the current AI state... The system would be clunky, buggy, just overall a trainwreck of a mess.  So it'll probably sit on the backburner until they can dedicate some time into making it look and feel nice. 

dolmar likes this

There are simply a lot more important things to do. I really like someone's comment on a live stream I saw a few months ago, "a lot of game companies don't even allow (normal players) to see their game at this point". I'm sure AI tweaking is heavily on the backburner with all of the updates that are coming out soon. I hope mounts will be in before launch, but as much as I would love to see taming before launch.. I can't see that happening.

coolwaters likes this

36 minutes ago, scipio said:

OH, I'm sorry. Are you all upset about not getting a digital kitty to pet and feed? 

Does anyone look upset?

In other words, hell yes we're pissy. Me and @Protonix want our smooshy cat faces. :P

Edited by coolwaters
dolmar likes this

We need caravan animals as the minimum for launch for transporting building materials.  All the other types like ridables, and combat pets could be pushed until after launch and there is time to get them done right.

Pet AI for combat is really hard to do well - I remember it being in a weak state for both WoW launch (hunter pets) and Warhammer Online launch (white lion pets) and in both games it took alot of time to refine it. Taming and mounts are popular and fun so I definitely want it in Crowfall, I just don't consider it to be core pvp/siege gameplay.

Anthrage, Kiro and coolwaters like this

9 hours ago, dolmar said:

Seems like you answered your own question.

If you think the current state of AI is so bad then obviously it makes no sense to introduce taming and pets. Furthermore as you claim the "current" state is the worst you've ever seen and as this is Alpha its very likely the AI will improve hence making it more viable to add such a feature then.

2 hours ago, scipio said:

OH, I'm sorry. Are you all upset about not getting a digital kitty to pet and feed? 

Well of course we want kitties to feed, that's what the chicken ticker is for, cats love chicken legs!

coolwaters likes this