thenebrosity

Will This Be The Theif? Stealing Please.

35 posts in this topic

Stealing was a major pass time and very entertaining part of Shadowbane that many of us have enjoyed.. will the Assassin have the ability to steal directly from a player's inventory as in SB? :)

As the spiritual successor of SB I'd hate to see stealing not be implemented in LIVE.  :)

That's sound great, and not only the inventory  :)

Furthermore, I'm pretty sure there is a Thief on the Caravan banner, ready to steal Ressources and Materials... We can't see him beacause he is stealthy :P

965142CrowfallCaravanBanner.jpg

Edited by shmilbick
Maxima likes this

Stealing was a major pass time and very entertaining part of Shadowbane that many of us have enjoyed.. will the Assassin have the ability to steal directly from a player's inventory as in SB? :)

As the spiritual successor of SB I'd hate to see stealing not be implemented in LIVE.  :)

There seem to be several stealthy/sneaky classes including Guineceans, Stalkers, and Rangers.

Looks like stealing and/or pickpocketing is not going to make it into the core rules release. Hopefully this will become an archetype later on. I'd pay for it.

UO implemented a basic, but awesome thief system. You could only steal from players if you joined the thieves guild. If you murdered the innocent you would be booted from the thieves guild. When somebody snoops into your bag you got a message, unless they had very high skill. If they stole from you in town you could call the guards and get them killed, but if you weren't paying attention they could run away with it. I would like to see this same system again someday.

z_from_tx, redbeard and Buckly like this

Stealing is an action. I think it should be based on weight of the armor you are wearing, the blending of the crowds and, how often you do it(skill). Another thing is the target storage location. example a small pouch of coins hanging from a belt or a grabbing bag from a caravan. Less you carry, Harder you are to steal from. It makes sense. Stealing a dagger from a assassin would be harder based on where is located. if it is in his boot, I wish you luck. Stealing a pouch of coins from a tank wondering in town would be much easier.

No, if I steal and get away with it then I am a good thief.

Justice should be served by the playerbase not an in-game mechanic.

I think it depends. Are there safe zones? Will you be able to steal in them (I hope so). If you go into some neutral faction's city where combat is outlawed and are caught stealing- yes there should be a mechanic. I love how the guards in UO worked, except lets not make them kill you in one hit and invincible. =P 

I do agree if you get away, you're a good thief and that's the end of that. At the same time I definitely think that if you are noticed stealing from a player by the players around them or them they should be able to attack you even if it's a safe zone without consequence (Akin to becoming grey in town in UO).

<3 Risk vs Reward.

At the end of the day I hope stealing is part of the game at launch, even if it's not completely sorted out. It was great in UO (I never played Shadowbane).

Maxima likes this

I personally think stealing could be implemented, but definitely with a player run justice system. This could mean that if a pickpocket fails, the thief is revealed and has to either flee or fight, or perhaps the one who has been stolen from gains a slight boost for a few moments due to rage. If a thief is successful, then they would have until the player opens their inventory or notices the buff/stat change, if those are shown on the UI. Not only that, but a thief shouldn't be able to steal anything too large, such as an equipped weapon, or anything shown on the player model.

chancellor likes this

Shadowbane's Thief system was the best. if you failed to steal you stayed stealth but the person you tried to steal from got a message saying something like you feel someones hands in your pockets. If you successfully stole something you became visible to everyone and had to rely on your skill to escape with your stolen goods.  The players that got the steal messages then had to use aoe's or some kind of reveal skill to find the thief. The anti thief class was the scout who could track down a stealth thief reveal them and if played well was a solid one on one match to any thief, especially if the thief over spent in their peak, steal, and stealth abilities thus gimping their combat ability.

Playing a Shadowbane thief was the most fun I ever had in a game to be honest. Miss it so much. My thieves guild I ran was hated server wide instant banes on any tree with mass turn out to ensure we never got one establish even when I would set the bane to go off at 4 am on a Tuesday night lol...

Lacey

League of Thieves  

I know they want to make this role, I'm hoping it's just a discipline rune they can tack on for Stealth enabled classes. It would be highly entertaining and something a solo-player could tackle without needing a huge guild or expending a lot of effort.