icedern

Camelot Unchained

164 posts in this topic

I was recently trying to explain to an inexperienced mmorpg player that betas are not always feature complete at the start.  He tried to argue, but I tried to get him to listen to reason about MMORPG development.  It doesn't seem like CU will be all the way feature complete at start of beta either but we will see.

I really feel like CU is taking a very intelligent path through their development.  Yes they had delays, but they did it for the right reasons and the game will prosper for it.  CF had a similar situation with their combat before.

I get this eerie feeling that history may repeat itself.  DAoC launched and was a huge success.  SB was rushed out and was a buggy nearly unplayable if not unplayable mess.  CF won't release as bad as SB, but with the soft launch concept things are bound to be in a fairly rough state at launch.  I also feel like CF might have a time element now and things are starting to feel a little rushed, hopefully I am wrong on this. 

I hope both games launch well, but honestly if things go the way they are currently heading CU may prove to be the more successful game.  It's built for big battles and good performance for those battles, and the things that made CF different, specifically the more hardcore campaign elements, are slowly getting softened by people complaining about things being too hard during testing. 

43 minutes ago, VIKINGNAIL said:

I was recently trying to explain to an inexperienced mmorpg player that betas are not always feature complete at the start.  He tried to argue, but I tried to get him to listen to reason about MMORPG development.  It doesn't seem like CU will be all the way feature complete at start of beta either but we will see.

I really feel like CU is taking a very intelligent path through their development.  Yes they had delays, but they did it for the right reasons and the game will prosper for it.  CF had a similar situation with their combat before.

I get this eerie feeling that history may repeat itself.  DAoC launched and was a huge success.  SB was rushed out and was a buggy nearly unplayable if not unplayable mess.  CF won't release as bad as SB, but with the soft launch concept things are bound to be in a fairly rough state at launch.  I also feel like CF might have a time element now and things are starting to feel a little rushed, hopefully I am wrong on this. 

I hope both games launch well, but honestly if things go the way they are currently heading CU may prove to be the more successful game.  It's built for big battles and good performance for those battles, and the things that made CF different, specifically the more hardcore campaign elements, are slowly getting softened by people complaining about things being too hard during testing. 

I feel like you are arguing opposite points in different (and sometimes the same) threads. Do you understand that 'soft launch' and 'MVP' don't necessarily mean buggy or poor quality?

Sometimes I really struggle with knowing whether this is trolling, or you are actually trying to contribute. If you're trolling, you're doing a good job. If you aren't.. please try harder? You literally make some of the same points here that you refuted in the other thread. 

Edited by Orleans

1 hour ago, Orleans said:

I feel like you are arguing opposite points in different (and sometimes the same) threads. Do you understand that 'soft launch' and 'MVP' don't necessarily mean buggy or poor quality?

Sometimes I really struggle with knowing whether this is trolling, or you are actually trying to contribute. If you're trolling, you're doing a good job. If you aren't.. please try harder? You literally make some of the same points here that you refuted in the other thread. 

I don't really think you know what you are talking about, nor do I think you understand what I am saying. 

Do you understand that games that release prematurely no matter what you label it as can often be buggy and unpolished and fail?  I hope CF succeeds and we can put faith in ACE, but those of us with a lot of experience testing mmorpgs can pretty much tell what issues a game will struggle with.  ACE and CSE both have relatively small teams compared to big budget studios.  CSE seems to be building a game that is ready for MMORPGs from the ground up.  CF is unproven in the MMO area, it struggles with large groups of players and performance has never been a selling point so far. 

Anyway if I was a betting man, right now I would say CU looks to have a much safer future than CF.  That would be history repeating itself similar to how DAoC turned out compared to SB. 

16 hours ago, Tinnis said:

The wheels are turning....first staggered release of beta 1 guiding principal document....(released in chapter stages over next weeks)

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/beta-1/

I wonder if CU will beat CF to beta phase? :P

backers can log into the forum to see most of the names of upcoming sections.

Initially I thought their beta 1 would just be a slightly more advanced version of Big World, but looking at these documents it seems like it might be much further along than that. It's exciting. I hope both CU and CF can deliver and be a big success. CU seems to have insane solid performance at this stage though, very impressive. Wish they had gone with action combat but ah well..