skytea

Albion Online

83 posts in this topic

First off im very excited about Crowfall because it doesn't look like another casual trash themepark MMO which a lot of people here absolutely despise.  But I'm suprised a lot of people here do not know about Albion Online.

For those of you who don't know, Albion Online is a full-loot hardcore sandbox MMORPG planning on a free to play release later this year. It is currently in alpha testing, with an alpha test starting January 26th. I am planning to play Crowfall beta during the downtime of Albion Online but I just want to expose this game here because a lot of people here share the same gaming taste and will love this game.

Here are some of the game's features that I copy pasta'd from their website: (website link is here  https://albiononline.com/

Full Player-Driven Economy – All items and buildings in Albion Online are crafted by and bartered between players. Craft the best items and decide which price to sell them to other players at. No global marketplace means savvy players can make an industry of transporting goods to different markets around the world.

Expanded PvP System – Take part in massive open PvP battles and fight for the fame and honor of your guild. Don’t want to tie yourself down to anyone? Then why not become a feared, volatile mercenary, riding out into battle for others – for the right price.

Classless Character Customization – Be exactly who you want to be. With no class-restricted abilities or items, you are what you wear in Albion Online. Craft any number of combinations of spells onto your gear, then mix and match to create your perfect character with hundreds of different combinations possible. Want to be a healing wizard with tank-like armor and a mace in your main hand? It makes sense! Every combination will have its strengths and weaknesses, so experiment and find your true self!

Territory-based Guild Warfare – Find a loyal band of brothers and sisters and claim your patch of Albion – build your cities and camps out of over 50 different kinds of buildings and customizable skins, then wage war on your neighbors to oust them from their homes and expand your very own empire.

Cross Platform & One Massive World – The first true cross-platform MMO experience. Had enough of being glued to your PC when you game? Grab your iOS or Android tablet and pick up right where you left off, experiencing all the action from your sofa. In Albion Online, all players on every device play on one master server, in one massive world. The only question is – how will you play?

Edited by Eldreth
JamesGoblin likes this

Moneygrubbing kickstarteresque garbage, just like Pathfinder et al. Ridiculous cost to play alpha, ridiculous cost, nullifies the point of a sandbox

Edited by bio
JamesGoblin likes this

The PvP is awful. Players can simply roam in groups of 30, to kill one person. I'd prefer a game that revolved around skill to win, not some tab target numbers game. Even the players who are in the large clans say it is boring, obviously; no one has fun 30v1ing, not even the "victors".

JamesGoblin likes this

Pay to win how? Also this so called 30v1 happens in every single RvR game, its the nature of having a game that focuses on large scale combat . Matter of fact this game being a mmorpg focused on RvR will do the same thing. Not saying you gotta love Albion Online but saying its pay to win is inaccurate and acting like zerging isnt part of every single RvR type game doesnt make any sense. Not to mention on the next patch far as i know they plan discouraging zerging by making large groups of people get hit harder by aoe among other things. If the combat mechanics isnt something you enjoy then fine but argue about why you dont like it rather then point to zerging.

Edited by krevra

F2P and sandboxes, expecially the FFA pvp ones with full loot, don't match well.

Albion is good on paper, it has full loot, deep crafting and territorial conquering, but the f2p will kill it, alts and rampant hacking will prevail (since if you get banned you can make another account anytime).
Prefer a 9€ monthly sub or a B2P model like GW2 with cosmetic only item shop.

Another bad thing is the hardware limitation, the game run under andrioid and ios too, for this reason the sieges are limited to 5 vs 5 people and all the maps are instanced with gates (so is not a open world), this mean you can escape through these portals.

Is still interesting and probably i will try it but i don't have high hopes because these features are a huge turn off.

Edited by kdchan

Pay to win how?

As I understand it, there are two types of currency in the game.  Silver, which can be earned through standard gameplay mechanics.  And Gold, which is purchased with real money transactions.  And that is how a F2P game becomes pay to win.

JamesGoblin and EvilCheshire like this

GW2 you can spend real money to get ingame gold but by no standards is gw2 considered pay to win. Gold doesn't let you win anything at all in gw2. Far as i understand the Albion online system its the same also anything you can get in cashshop you can basically get ingame.

JamesGoblin and shadow2015 like this

GW2 you can spend real money to get ingame gold but by no standards is gw2 considered pay to win. Gold doesn't let you win anything at all in gw2. Far as i understand the Albion online system its the same also anything you can get in cashshop you can basically get ingame.

that's p2w btw. You are gaining in game currency with real money to purchase phat loot from market. You are paying to win with that phat loot.
JamesGoblin likes this

Phat loot? Hardly What competitive advantage does that give cause i promise you it does not give any in either game i mentioned. Anything you can get you already can get in a reasonable time frame playing the game normally. But this is going off topic yea :) This thread is about Albion Online not a debate of What is or isnt Pay to Win, though im sure thar could be a thread on here somewhere if not one could be started.

I personally am looking forward to Albion Online cause i think atm thar isnt really much out in terms of RvR focused game. Sure thar is ESO and GW2 that have RvR elements but it isnt truly the focus of the game. Also Albion is a game you can play on many platforms so its nice to to have something to play basically anywhere with net. I think the combat is good for what it is and its still in Alpha they will add more skills and change the numbers on some as time goes by. I def think its worth checking out. But far as paying to get into the Alpha idk i did that with Archeage and i ended up regretting it. So ill wait a bit longer then see whats up for myself.

I've backed it, and I'll be playing in the Jan Alpha.

Respectfully, all you guys going 'LOL NAH MATE, IT'S F2P SO IT'S P2W LOL CYA' is pretty ignorant given you know absolutely nothing about how the game works. How anyone can pass judgement on something they know approximately nothing about, is beyond me.

Having said that, I've yet to play it too - but the difference is that I'm actually going to try it before I pick a side and start preaching ;)

5v5 sieges are fine, it means you can't have your territory zerged off you, and so makes it about skill, not numbers.

methios, shadow2015, Bremmen and 1 other like this

As soon as you said free to play.... I went down here to post and say... NAH. Only thing that works with F2P are MOBAs. Thank League of Legends for that.

That isn't true. Marvel Heroes is a F2P MMO and doing wonderful. Even those that are B2P with no subscription are doing well. Path of Exile is another great example.

Edited by Laughter
Caimie, JamesGoblin, zault and 3 others like this

I've backed it, and I'll be playing in the Jan Alpha.

Respectfully, all you guys going 'LOL NAH MATE, IT'S F2P SO IT'S P2W LOL CYA' is pretty ignorant given you know absolutely nothing about how the game works. How anyone can pass judgement on something they know approximately nothing about, is beyond me.

Having said that, I've yet to play it too - but the difference is that I'm actually going to try it before I pick a side and start preaching ;)

5v5 sieges are fine, it means you can't have your territory zerged off you, and so makes it about skill, not numbers.

I played a beta phase6 months ago so i know perfectly what i'm talking about. Tell me now, how you can ban someone that use hacks if you can make unlimited accounts? Give me a break pls.

Also remember that hackers and cheaters always don't use their main account, they use a vpn to hide the IP and 2-3 alts.

5 vs 5 sieges aren't fine, it remove the purpose to have a normal guild, or you can tell me that you have only 5 friends to play? 5 is always the number of a small party. A decent guild have a rooster of at least 20-30 active players at the peak.

This limitation is just made with the excuse that even small guild can compete, but the truth is that is an hardware limitation cause by android and ios devices, otherwise no one can limit a important feature like a siege.

Said that i don't say that Albion is bad, is an interesting project, but is far from being a true sandbox with an open world, and the f2p model along with hardware limits don't help at all.

Edited by kdchan
JamesGoblin likes this

I played a beta phase6 months ago so i know perfectly what i'm talking about. Tell me now, how you can ban someone that use hacks if you can make unlimited accounts? Give me a break pls.

Also remember that hackers and cheaters always don't use their main account, they use a vpn to hide the IP and 2-3 alts.

5 vs 5 sieges aren't fine, it remove the purpose to have a normal guild, or you can tell me that you have only 5 friends to play? 5 is always the number of a small party. A decent guild have a rooster of at least 20-30 active players at the peak.

This limitation is just made with the excuse that even small guild can compete, but the truth is that is an hardware limitation cause by android and ios devices, otherwise no one can limit a important feature like a siege.

Said that i don't say that Albion is bad, is an interesting project, but is far from being a true sandbox with an open world, and the f2p model along with hardware limits don't help at all.

The hacker problem is fairly rampant in every F2P game, it all depends on how the company handles it.

Given that you can have 50+ on the screen at once, I don't think the 5v5 sieges have much to do with Hardware limitations.

Yes, guilds are much larger than 5 people - but that means that with a guild of 50 people, you can have 10 battles going on in an evening, with 5 people in each. This means that larger guilds can hold more territory, but smaller guilds can still hold onto their land - and not get completely zerged down. It comes down to who has the best 5v5 team, not who spam recruits more idiots to pile into a battle.

It's an effective way to deal with zerging, but does detract from an open world - I agree.

You clearly didn't give the game much of a chance, because if you had played it or followed it at all - I wouldn't have just needed to explain that to you. :P

Moneygrubbing kickstarteresque garbage, just like Pathfinder et al. Ridiculous cost to play alpha, ridiculous cost, nullifies the point of a sandbox

This is why I lost interest.  I had signed up, but they wanted me to pay a ridiculous amount of money to get in first.  Forget that.

JamesGoblin likes this

This game has some things that appeal to me. But I honestly have never been a fan of classless MMO's. Especially since skills in Albion come from your equipped items. That whole system turns me off.

JamesGoblin likes this