Pann

Armor for All: From rule to choice - Official discussion thread

223 posts in this topic

Awesome. I remember us speculating whether the knight could wear any of the other armor types than the one in their pics. How it would go a long way when it comes to customization and a desire to make people more unique. Bring on the wizards in plate! :)

Ooh and hit location. Hello arm, leg, head damage :)

Edited by oberon
Vuris, courant101 and mythx like this

Great move and I fully support this!

This was one of my favorite pieces from UO, not being limited in what you wore. There were advantages and disadvantages to each weapon and armor piece. Bring back that model!

Now we just need robes over armor...

Edited by Adall
courant101, Nakawe, Nazdar and 1 other like this

In general, I like the change to armor types being resistant/weak to certain damage types.  It brings back the Dark Age of Camelot style of combat that I really enjoyed.

The part at the end about the hit location system, though... I'll have to wait until I see it implemented before I say whether it's a good idea or not.

bahamutkaiser and courant101 like this

I like the general theme. Very reminiscent of DAoC's similar system.

I'm hoping that this table is just a "for example" and not "these are the actual resists":

Type         Plate Chain Leather Cloth

Slashing strong neutral neutral neutral

Crushing weak strong    weak   neutral

Piercing neutral weak   strong  neutral

Because that table is jacked up in several ways: it's neither logical/realistic, nor balanced. It should be more like this:

Type         Plate Chain Leather Cloth

Slashing  weak   strong neutral  neutral

Crushing strong neutral weak   neutral

Piercing neutral  weak  strong  neutral

(Further edit: if "strong" means "strong resistance to this attack" and not "strong attack vs this armor type" then your chart is closer to logical, but still not balanced)

Edited by Jihan

I'm assuming we can, but it wasn't explicitly stated, so I'll ask. Can we mix and match armor types? For example, can I wear 3 pieces of plate and 2 leather, or something like that?

Actually, it was explicitly stated.

Fifth, remember that ‘picking armor’ isn’t actually a single decision; it’s a decision tree. We have numerous slots (GLOVES, BOOTS, TORSO, HELM, etc.) with numerous enchantment effects – so when you add damage types (per slot) and resistances/weaknesses (per slot), that really opens up the combinatory decision tree to allow you to mix and match (aka ‘min/max’) your avatar to an amazing degree.

Silkhe, Lephys, courant101 and 4 others like this

For example, the current list of damage types includes: SLASHING, CRUSHING, PIERCING, FIRE, ELECTRIC, NATURE, POISON, DISEASE, BLEED.

My Frostweaver strongly suggests you add COLD to the list.

SLACK UPDATE:

tully 12:15 PM there is cold damage

tully 12:15 PM for some reason it was omitted from that list

Edited by Jihan

I posted this earlier, but it feels like a good time to mention this again:

<The TLD read version:  Heavy armor should protect you better by decreasing the damage you take when hit and decreasing your chances of taking a crit.  The trade off should be restricting your movement and your set of moves>

Back before there was dirt, my favorite role playing rule set was Arms Law by Iron Crown Enterprises.

I think that the rules system did a great job with the core combat modules, particularly the way that weapon, armor, and critical hits interacted.

The core idea of the system is the following:  The more armor you wear, the more often you get hit, but the less damage that you'll take from an attack.

Equally significant, the more armor that you wear, the less likely it is that you take a critical, and the less severe those crits tend to be.

Players had lots of hitpoints, so you could take a lot of damage during a long fight.  Normally, you'd get killed by either a big crit or the culmination of a lot of bleed effects.

Choice of weapons also mattered a lot.  If you were fighting against a knight, wearing full plate armor you wanted to be using a war hammer, a two handed mattock, or some such.  If you were to wield a nice quick dagger you'd score all sorts of hits, but unless you got really lucky with a crit, you'd never land a killing blow. 

Conversely, If you were fighting an elf who was wearing light leather, that same two handed mattock would be too slow and clumsy to land a hit.  If you ever DID get lucky and landed a hit, that elf would go splat but you'ddo better with a dagger or a rapier or some such.

I'd love to see these same sorts of dynamics work their way into Crowfall.

The more armor that you wear, the slower you move and (potentially) the more limited your set of actions.

In a similar vein, choice of weapon should effect the speed of your various attacks.

Race might also impact these dynamics, where larger races are inherently slower but take less of a penalty from wearing heavy armor and have less penalty wielding heavy weapons.  There "should" be some kind of interplay between the choice of race and the set of "moves" that are available to a given class where choice of an extreme (be it a race, a type of armor, or a weapon) should impose constraints.

(This also provides some interesting options for weapons and armor enchants.  Imagine plate armor with less of an encumbrance penalty that could be worn by fae without gimping their move set or a perfectly balanced maul that would permit the use of an otherwise inplausible attack)

Edited by narsille

I have two concerns:

1 - Sets and their bonuses.  Having sets of armor is somewhat cool in games but the issue is that as soon as there are bonuses to wearing these sets it makes different armor types irrelevant.  The only fix to this that I can see is if players get to decide what goes into a set when crafting.  So Player X can craft a set of plate and leather and give it a small bonus.

2 - Passive bonuses for all of one kind of armor.  When they added this in WoW the occasional pocket pally disappeared forever.  

Makishima, emralled and courant101 like this

Great decision.  Really looking forward to figuring out different mixes of armor for different situations.

Can we change out armor and gear midfight? 

Will there be cosmetic alterations to armor that can help "hide" what resists they have or will it be clear from everyone's armor what they're susceptible to?

Fun stuff!

courant101 and emralled like this

Oke I very much like this system a lot more than the old one, gives choices! i love interesting choices!

However how will magic interact with this system? you've explained how the 3 types of physical dmg, crushing,slashing and piercing will work with the 4 types of armor, but what about magic? will that be based on an entirely diffrent system?  example enchanting armor to choose for diffrent types of resistances? or perhaps something more easily interchangeable during combat like some sort of magic resistance casting or potions?

either way, very much agreed with this decisions, very nice!

courant101, emralled and Makishima like this

Something that is sort of lacking in the update is the idea of a quantifiable characteristic to those damage types and their partnered resist.  Are the terms "strong" etc just a generalization of the system itself?  Or will this be tuned into something more specific and less general in terms of caps and desire to best way to diversify your survivability?

Also, I assume you didn't list all the damage types in your example, but NATURE, POISON, DISEASE all seem extremely redudant.

Edited by facerip
bahamutkaiser likes this