1. Blob PVP isn't fun. Two masses of players moving into each other and clicking buttons hoping to hit the right targets because everything is moving at 10 FPS is not compelling game play. Maybe the few people calling out orders into the mic trying to get the blob to move in the right direction get some enjoyment out of it although I often hear and have experienced the opposite, but for most players in the blob it is basically brain dead pvp with no real chance to make a personal impact.
My suggestions for fixing this:
- Performance is being worked on but honestly I don't believe that we well ever get to a point where the performance of the game will allow for all of the players that can show up to a fight to actually be in a big blob and the performance not tank. Can it be improved from where it is no sure but I think additional measures ought to be taken. Enable friendly fire outside of group this will force the blobs to spread out meaning that all players will not be standing in the exact same spot which means less players on screen for other players at any given time. This will also mean that larger groups will need to coordinate better that smaller groups so as not to kill each other and help lower the advantage of just bringing more. Along with this I think group sizes should be increased to 10 which will allow the friendly fire not to be completely onerous.
2. Forts give way to much compared to the level of effort for harvesting individual nodes. And end up being a game of watching timers while logged out and just logging in to collect.
My suggestions for fixing this:
- Combine forts and caravans. Instead of making forts a free resource spawner once an hour for the group that was able to bring their blob to that fort in the last 5 minuets of the hour that is was up for siege. Make it so caravans spawn at the forts either on a timer if you have to or allow the owning guild to spawn a set number of them. When the Caravan spawns put out the event message and let people know and then the owning guild will need to transport that caravan to their keep or a caravansary allowing them to be attacked and the caravan raided. This creates opportunity for pvp more often than just the one hour siege of the fort which is really just 15ish minuets maybe. It also gives value to holding keeps that are in proximity to forts that you want to run from thus creating a sort territory control system. Caravans could still spawn in the world if you wanted to give unlanded groups a chance to use them but wouldn't have to in my opinion which would mean more groups would potentially be out harvesting but also out looking for the events to pop of the land owners running their caravans.
3. New players make it to level 30 and then get lost on what to do.
My suggestion for fixing this:
- Right now the only real end game content for players at level 30 is the Dregs which is by design for guilds/alliances. New players make it to max level very fast and the are basically dropped into the deep end where they need to be in a guild but there is no option for them to even join a guild in the game...they have to go to the forum or a community run discord to find out what guilds exist and are recruiting, then they have to go to a different place on the website to apply and get accepted. This is ridiculously clunky for a game designed around guilds. Add guild functionality IN GAME.
- Additionally running a faction based campaign would surely be much easier for new players to hop into particularly during beta when they are just checking out the game and seeing what it is about. I know Dregs needs to be tested but beta testers are not the best source for that until they understand the game and have had a chance to integrate into guilds.
Those are the top three issues I see and my suggestions for improving on them. There is certainly more that could improve but I will save it for later.