Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

ACE Q&A for December - Official discussion thread

Think no minimap is a good thing, ull find your way araund after a time anyway if u look at the environment: mountains, lakes , trees.

I wouldnt like the idea of returning as a zombie just wouldnt feel wright.

Maybe ull return to your Ethernal kingdom and wake up in a hospital and have some kind off debuff for couple off days, if the debuff disappears you can get back to the fight and start to collect supplys, cause you lost them when you died.

Think no minimap is a good thing, ull find your way araund after a time anyway if u look at the environment: mountains, lakes , trees.

I wouldnt like the idea of returning as a zombie just wouldnt feel wright.

Maybe ull return to your Ethernal kingdom and wake up in a hospital and have some kind off debuff for couple off days, if the debuff disappears you can get back to the fight and start to collect supplys, cause you lost them when you died.

I've played around with SOTA and it has no mini map. Hard at first, but it forces you to go back to your gaming roots and it's ultimately great. They use lootable / tradable "maps" that players can find for certain areas / cities. They have value that way. They are hard to use as well and they do not give great detail. I kind of like that.

I've played ARK, which drops players in a world with no maps. When you die you land someplace else. It's extremely hard to find your stuff / friends that way at first. Something in between would be a nice balance of immersion building mechanics and hand-holding for new players.

I'm still pondering the minimap.  I suspect someone will mod a minimap at some point (it can't really be prevented) and it will become a huge tactical advantage.  It's a fun idea to go without, but I don't see it lasting.

well ppl can do macros and scripts so ... its up to us/them to make a map / minimap / macro for stuff if we really want it.

there is always a 3rd party way for something

i used to play mortal online and that game got no map nor minimap and it took players quite some time until some guild mapped the world and published it, still no minimap tho. also not all players like to share ;)

Just had a flash of inspiration. What if in the EK we can gain divine favor in shrines to our god by sacrificing something to them (money, resources ect.) after you get above a threshold level of favor lets say 100 you gain a minor divine bonus however as you die you loose favor and after you dip below 0 you start to incur penalties (increased training time, negative skill points, loss of skill points, ect.) this incorporates the EK to the world gives the god bonus they tossed around a bit deals with death and a system like this is similar to others in existence. Hope I'm somewhere close just had a designer moment there.

I'm thinking the same way as Khoth.  JTC said the answer is in the lore. The lore is all about the Gods.  Thus, taking spoils from the CWs and tithing them to one's chosen God will have a positive effect on the players characters, skills, disciplines, etc.  One major concept of CF is that we are "harvesting the dying worlds for our Gods."  It's the Gods that give us purpose and if we satisfy them with the items, materials, resources, they are seeking, us players benefit.

LW_sig_concept3_zps7zqmgbno.jpg

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/  The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home.

I'm not sure how I feel on the lack of a mini-map. I understand their reasoning in the video though. Having some sort of cartography skill and letting us explore the world to generate our own map might be neat... It would be an item in your inventory (stealable) and ideally should obstruct your view / abilities if you have it open... But no clue on the practicality of that (and having any system just makes it easier for modders)...

I'm wondering if the reveal they are talking about is thrall related actually. They have said you can capture thralls and shove them into gear. Perhaps they can steal part of the PCs souls and use them like thralls... This would likely siphon a bit of XP away and could have all sorts of interesting effects... What happens when you encounter someone who stole your soul and shoved it into their weapon? ;) 

I'm just thinking out loud. That idea is probably way out there (but really, who knows?)

(My main hope is whatever the reveal is, it somehow ties into the concept of warmth)

I think maybe there is some element in Crowfall that is similar to Albion Online. 

• When you die in Albion Online all your Inventory item become loot able. I think in Crowfall it is certain amount of stuff that is loot able base on Campaign rule sets.  I mean since the archetype are Immortal in a senses.  Therefore I think it is okay for the archetypes to lose their physical form and re-acquire it at another location. Therefore it is possible that your character to die and be revive in the campaign. Or you could lose that character in that Campaign, hence you kinda perm-death in the campaign while not losing your character so to speak.
  • Everything is crafted by players. There is a question in my head how does one get the initial starting tools? When certain campaign start with nothing. And equipment have something along the lines of tier system? Which has its own recipe and its own resources.  
  • Also item have different size and weight, increase in weight mean slower etc.

Just what I though could be in the game.

Edited by Cocopaps

I'm still betting the reveal is survival related. Warmth conversion is important enough to be on the character creation screen. But hasn't really been talked about so far. So if logistics is a big deal it would be something that hasn't really been important in previous MMOs, hasn't been talked a lot about and something that a lot will hate.

And hate they would, lots of people would rather the actual fight was a pure isolated test of skill. Logistics would bugger that up and cause so very many complaints.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

I've played around with SOTA and it has no mini map. Hard at first, but it forces you to go back to your gaming roots and it's ultimately great. They use lootable / tradable "maps" that players can find for certain areas / cities. They have value that way. They are hard to use as well and they do not give great detail. I kind of like that.

I've played ARK, which drops players in a world with no maps. When you die you land someplace else. It's extremely hard to find your stuff / friends that way at first. Something in between would be a nice balance of immersion building mechanics and hand-holding for new players.

RE: no mini-map, works for me, adds another layer to tactics. I hope there can be good landmarks on the maps for orienting oneself - especially after death.

Also, I like the idea of lootable maps.

I'm still betting the reveal is survival related. Warmth conversion is important enough to be on the character creation screen. But hasn't really been talked about so far. So if logistics is a big deal it would be something that hasn't really been important in previous MMOs, hasn't been talked a lot about and something that a lot will hate.

And hate they would, lots of people would rather the actual fight was a pure isolated test of skill. Logistics would bugger that up and cause so very many complaints.

I'm probably one of the most vocal about high skill ceilings on this board and I think logistics as a deterrent for zergs sounds like a possibly great idea. Proper planning and coordination are skills too and if a game mechanic favors the smaller, more well coordinated and individually skilled groups then all the better.

Member of The BlackHand Order

On the subject of the mini-map / "M"-button map.

Todd mentioned in the Q&A video he wouldn't want users to upload a picture of the map for all to see two days into the campaign.

I wish I had a little more insight on their ideas in terms of the map.

I'm a bit of a hobbyist cartographer. Member of the cartographersguild.com etc.

How awesome would it be to enter these campaign worlds and have no map at all? At least for the first one or two seasons.

Exploration would actually be a thing.

People like me would be sharing the map with guild mates on a piece of paper or something photoshopped.

"You know those twin peak mountains in the distance there?

"Yeah?"

"South-East of that is a lumber mill but I saw a lot of antler banners there."

What do you guys think? Would it be cool?

Edited by whiplash174