Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Falmore

Post Launch Hunger Dome

so for some reason this posted twice as seperate threads and this one didn't post with everthing i said.

this is missing from OP:

What if in my EK I built an arena and people could pay to enter and teams would fight for a prize pool while spectators can bet on which team they wont to win meanwhile the EK can tax the whole thing.

If its in as a mini-game type thing with no rewards and they are fine with barely anyone playing it then ok.

If they add rewards to get people to play it will end up like most games with Instanced Arena + Open World pvp where people just play the instances because it is much faster and easier to PvP.

Why bother with wandering around and looking for fights when they are handed right to you and are more balanced?

Considering that approach is the complete opposite of what was described in the KS I doubt they will go there. I like arena games, but I didn't back this project for that purpose.

Edited by jacobin

so for some reason this posted twice as seperate threads and this one didn't post with everthing i said.

this is missing from OP:

What if in my EK I built an arena and people could pay to enter and teams would fight for a prize pool while spectators can bet on which team they wont to win meanwhile the EK can tax the whole thing.

I don't think you'll see the option to build an arena. That would require an additional commitment of time and resources and, since they aren't adding any more stretch goals in the immediate future, I don't think they'll add anything else that will impact their timeline or budget. Post launch, possibly, but I think it would be simpler for them to create the arena themselves, as they have already done with the Hunger Dome, than to give players the ability to create their own. I also don't think it would be practical to have these arenas on EKs, since it would divide up the player base. Again, it would be simpler and IMO better to have everyone who wants to play it queuing into the same arena so that there is never a wait for a match.

As to whether I think they will add the Hunger Dome as a playable module, it's hard to say. If they feel like they can bring in more people by adding it, I could see them offering it as a part of the base game, and also as a stand-alone option for those who don't want to buy the full game (with the hopes that those people will then buy the full game at some point). However, if they feel like having the Hunger Dome will negatively impact participation in the CWs, then I don't see them adding it. The CWs are the heart of the game. They aren't going to add game systems which will hurt that, though having the Hunger Dome or other MOBA style games could be a nice feature for those people who don't have a lot of time to play. Committing to a 1 to 3 month campaign may keep some people from playing. Committing to a 15 minute Hunger Dome match is far less daunting.

I hope not, for exactly the reasons spelled out by Jacobin.  

For months we had to inform people who wanted arena PvP by telling them about the core vision of the game.  Implementing Hunger Dome with a reward would be catastrophic.  

Implementing Hunger Dome as a fun add-on in an EK to practice and fight against guild members every once in a while?  Could work, but requires extreme care to make sure it is not replacing action in the CWs in too serious of a way.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

This was asked a while back in the suggestion forum (or somewhere of the like). I recall the devs said no. That it would split the population (and take away from dev resources). Speaking of which, this seems like something more suited to the suggestion forum.

Edited by TragicNumberOne

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

Someone suggested a while back to initiate a hunger dome event at the end of each campaign, which I think is a great idea. It would be a great way to close out a campaign with a final battle royale and it fits in perfectly with the lore, the hunger ultimately devours the campaign world. Plus, it wouldn't split up the community at all because they would be an infrequent occurrence that you need to be a part of the campaign to be in anyway.

nYgae2w.png

If its in as a mini-game type thing with no rewards and they are fine with barely anyone playing it then ok.

If they add rewards to get people to play it will end up like most games with Instanced Arena + Open World pvp where people just play the instances because it is much faster and easier to PvP.

Why bother with wandering around and looking for fights when they are handed right to you and are more balanced?

Considering that approach is the complete opposite of what was described in the KS I doubt they will go there. I like arena games, but I didn't back this project for that purpose.

That's a fair concern.

I posted about this during 1.0

I think the dome and stuff like it would be a great addition to EK.

Agree that you shouldn't get a "reward" for winning.

I do think the winners should be able to keep what they looted off the other players.

And maybe allow wagers before the matches.

Okay with an incentive for winning as long as it is a net zero on the economy (or even negative due to items lost) it shouldn't affect participation in the campaigns.