Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Founders' Update: Defining "pre-alpha" - Official discussion thread

People are having fun together.

Now take the combat. Turn it into a two hour siege of a castle.

Are you still having fun?

Now take that slow combat animations and try to successfully gank a caravan. Me and my brother have a lot of high hopes for this game. But we find it worrisome that people are content with this. I can't even grasp it. And he has no patience for turn based games and he's rather inelegantly exclaimed how frustrating that they're so slow that it's almost turn based.

Am I still having fun? Probably. I'll know for sure once I play it. I'm not sure what is hard to grasp about other people enjoying something that doesn't appeal to you. To each his own.

Animation locking can work. It works in other games. Animations can be sped up and other tweaks can be made to improve it. Let's see how it is once the client-controller goes in.

Let's see how it is once the client-controller goes in.

Agreed -- and, just to set expectations, the first version with client-prediction that comes out will probably be bumpy.  When you overhaul a major system, there is always fallout.  So expect a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" ... but once it settles out, it should be feel significantly better.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Agreed -- and, just to set expectations, the first version with client-prediction that comes out will probably be bumpy.  When you overhaul a major system, there is always fallout.  So expect a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" ... but once it settles out, it should be feel significantly better.

Todd

Any estimate on when we'll be able to begin testing it? I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

The server performance has been so much smoother I thought it was already in, or I'm just kind of used to it now.

Edited by yamix

play another game to check how it should feel and then come back

I do play other games, including WoW (oh look, I just lost all credibility).  Perhaps I adjust more quickly than some.    I'm not saying it's perfect (occasional rubber banding... well more like abrupt changes in direction, client side would really be rubber banding...), but it's leaps and bounds better than it was.

Edited by yamix

Any estimate on when we'll be able to begin testing it? I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

I asked Tyrant earlier today in chat and he hopes it will get patched in on Monday, but no promises. Apparently they had some devs being sick this week. 

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

Todd

Sadly, this warning won't help much. People will whine complain about it anyway, like they're doing now with the server side movement as well. You can explain it over and over, but some people don't invest the time to inform themselves properly.

Just watched (part of a) Crowfall gameplay video from mmorpg.com and the first thing he says is that the responsiveness of the movement is not great. He could have known that, because we had and still have lots of talk and discussion about this. And this is a reporter from a site that is focused on mmo's!

ZCcquVD.png

Sadly, this warning won't help much. People will whine complain about it anyway, like they're doing now with the server side movement as well. You can explain it over and over, but some people don't invest the time to inform themselves properly.

Just watched (part of a) Crowfall gameplay video from mmorpg.com and the first thing he says is that the responsiveness of the movement is not great. He could have known that, because we had and still have lots of talk and discussion about this. And this is a reporter from a site that is focused on mmo's!

Well, it's a reviewer/reporters job to mention these things.  It should be hedged with the fact that we're still in early testing, though.

Edited by yamix

I don't see the problem with this.  Are you saying they should only report good things about the game, or that our feedback here has caused negative press?  I hope you're not that naive.  

[@--(o.O)@]

I don't see the problem with this.  Are you saying they should only report good things about the game, or that our feedback here has caused negative press?  I hope you're not that naive.  

No, I agree they should point out the bad stuff. My gripe was more that he didn't realize/knew it was because of the server side movement and that this will change in the future. As a reporter he should have done more to inform himself. But, that is how I see it. Some might not agree of course.

ZCcquVD.png

As long as ppl put things into perspective, take into account everything the devs have said they'll do & haven't done yet & stop saying everything in plural, i'm more than ok with any criticism. However, some love to paint everything black & keep hammering & hammering on the same point no matter how many answers & clarifications they get. It only meets 99% of their criteria. it's doesn't fulfill everything they want, so they're gonna tear it down.

Edited by imortalis

94d3694d-21cd-461f-afe1-69b22f882477.jpg

Very well put.  Just last night Tyrant was being so pleasant to players who seemed to be upset at the state of the game.  From a players point of view who is also very technical, I get it and understand, so it frustrates me when they get that way.  He, on the other hand, was very nice and understanding about which seemed odd to me at first, but I get it now.  Thank you and your team for all your hard work, it is paying off!

He and Todd are both great at keeping their cool from what I've seen.

No, I agree they should point out the bad stuff. My gripe was more that he didn't realize/knew it was because of the server side movement and that this will change in the future. As a reporter he should have done more to inform himself. But, that is how I see it. Some might not agree of course.

That onus is more on you as the reader to know, and not necessarily the author.  Biased/uninformed reporting is going to happen.  It's just the way it is.

[@--(o.O)@]

Sure I am having fun as well in game, a lot of fun with you guys.

The combat works, its doing its job, what its intended for.

But I wouldnt say that the combat, at this state, is enjoyable and fun for me, or as good as in Guildwars 2 or another MMO where I enjoyed solely the combat.

And I dont see this changing too much, if the "unnecessary" animation locks stay.

Guildwars 2 got animation locks as well, but in a good way, when they are necessary and/or meaningful.

I think you're failing to see how much current combat mechanics are affected by server-side movement..

Member of The BlackHand Order

I think you're failing to see how much current combat mechanics are affected by server-side movement..

Yeah seems to be a lot of that going around.

Not going to say the server/client side fix will be the cure all but its clear the technical issues are really holding back the ability to properly play and test this combat system.