Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

2015 survey results, pt. 2 - Official discussion thread

In my mind, the fact that players not affiliated with large guilds contribute less, has a lot to do with what the game is.  Crowfall is very guild centric, so if players don't have the assurance of, being in or finding a good guild, they can't be guaranteed that they will have a positive in-game experience.  You can hop into many MMOs and play them guild-less or even solo and do quite a bit, but I don't think anyone expects that of CF; and just because players know that'll they will need a guild to maximize their game experience, doesn't mean they won't have their doubts about finding the perfect guild fit.  This apprehension can lead people to hedge their bets and not over commit to a game whose ultimate enjoyment hinges on their compatibility with a group of strangers.

That said, I don't think ACE should do anything to change the vision of CF; PvP is best experienced in a group, especially when the archetypes are not being built around individual balance.  

Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Average of 31hours a week playing games... Got some serious gamers here.... (that's a good thing)

Yea that's pretty awesome. I definitely don't play anywhere close to as much as I used to since I decided to stop doing it as my "job". 

31 hours a week is a pretty decent chunk of time if you're working 40+ hours a week and have even slight irl obligations. I'm curious if people will no-life this game as hard as they would a traditional MMO during the launch rush. I'm no stranger to pulling 110+ hour weeks but I don't see myself doing that for this game (I'm sure I'll still play a lot, but I really doubt I'll be pulling 16-18 hour days).

Edited by Zybak

Yea that's pretty awesome. I definitely don't play anywhere close to as much as I used to since I decided to stop doing it as my "job". 

31 hours a week is a pretty decent chunk of time if you're working 40+ hours a week and have even slight irl obligations. I'm curious if people will no-life this game as hard as they would a traditional MMO during the launch rush. I'm no stranger to pulling 110+ hour weeks but I don't see myself doing that for this game (I'm sure I'll still play a lot, but I really doubt I'll be pulling 16-18 hour days).

I think it all depends... if the game has great combat and really gives a lot of wiggle room for in-game politics people may get super hooked and immersed... i mean eve's combat isn't great but the politics are enjoyable and some people get so hooked into that game. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I understand why you wouldn't want to focus on the financials with this group, but I'm personally glad to see the emphasis.  A healthy game has a healthy financial base.  Having the money figured out mitigates myriad other problems.

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

My small guild will definitely "no-life" it at launch! I will, of course, take that week off from work too! It's a tradition with any new game we play and definitely with Crowfall. :)

Interesting to me that half of the respondents are in player groups/guilds with less than 15 people.

That's a challenge for the CW map designers - we need a wide variety of pvp hotspots (territory objectives and resource poi's) for different size groups. 

tiPrpwh.png

That said, I don't think ACE should do anything to change the vision of CF; PvP is best experienced in a group, especially when the archetypes are not being built around individual balance.  

Survey data can be interesting to read, but I don't believe in using statistics to drive game design.  Nor do I believe in design-by-committee.

Game designers should drive the vision.  In this case, that vision has been smoldering in the back of my mind since at least 1999. It isn't going to change. 

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Survey data can be interesting to read, but I don't believe in using statistics to drive game design.  Nor do I believe in design-by-committee.

Game designers should drive the vision.  In this case, that vision has been smoldering in the back of my mind since at least 1999. It isn't going to change. 

Todd

ACE

tumblr_mu8rfaLf7g1rioo2yo1_250.gif

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

A decade of gamers have not had an opportunity to experience a truly guild-centric game.  Part of the burden to make CF a success lies with ACE developers who understand design decisions that support tight-knit guilds.  Part of the burden, I think, will also lie with those of us who have long-term guild experiences being willing to recruit and actively counter recent gaming trends.

These data are interesting, not too surprising, and validate the idea of designing a game with proven ideas that have fallen out of vogue for a fairly large, very dedicated, and often ostracized group of folks who can be a core population.  Further, I believe there are a lot of gamers who have never played within these systems that, given a chance, will enjoy the game immensely.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

A decade of gamers have not had an opportunity to experience a truly guild-centric game.  Part of the burden to make CF a success lies with ACE developers who understand design decisions that support tight-knit guilds.  Part of the burden, I think, will also lie with those of us who have long-term guild experiences being willing to recruit and actively counter recent gaming trends.

These data are interesting, not too surprising, and validate the idea of designing a game with proven ideas that have fallen out of vogue for a fairly large, very dedicated, and often ostracized group of folks who can be a core population.  Further, I believe there are a lot of gamers who have never played within these systems that, given a chance, will enjoy the game immensely.

If you wanted the large number of un-guilded contributors to invest more into a guild-centric game, what are the options; aside from encouraging them to join a guild pre-launch if possible? 

In all honesty, I am apprehensive, because I've had mixed luck with guilds in the past, and I am currently not affiliated with any guilds, nor have I been able to convince any RL friends to look further into CF.... yet.  I want to enjoy the game, but I know a big part of experiencing all that CF will offer will depend on finding a friendly guild.  Normally guild recruitment is something you can approach leisurely in most MMOs (except perhaps trying to join a world-first raiding guild) but I feel that there is so much emphasis on guilds in CF, that guilds and players will both be pickier than usual, and this in addition to the huge sense of urgency to get in a guild quickly, will add a lot of undue stress to players stepping into a game that already does so many things differently.  A gaming culture-shock if you will.

The outer-band rulesets (God's Reach, The Infected), seem to de-emphasize guild necessity a little because the victory condition is faction based, but it's unclear to me what the day to day play would look like for an un-guilded player within the faction based rulesets.  What if anything will they be able to contribute?

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Todd

ACE

That made me kind of tingly.

In all honesty, I am apprehensive, because I've had mixed luck with guilds in the past, and I am currently not affiliated with any guilds, nor have I been able to convince any RL friends to look further into CF.... yet.  I want to enjoy the game, but I know a big part of experiencing all that CF will offer will depend on finding a friendly guild.  Normally guild recruitment is something you can approach leisurely in most MMOs (except perhaps trying to join a world-first raiding guild) but I feel that there is so much emphasis on guilds in CF, that guilds and players will both be pickier than usual, and this in addition to the huge sense of urgency to get in a guild quickly, will add a lot of undue stress to players stepping into a game that already does so many things differently.  A gaming culture-shock if you will.

Yeah, I'm not big on guilds myself anymore. Before I had a wife and kids, I didn't mind devoting some of my time to forging strong relationships with other players in the games that I played. But now, I might have to go change a diaper in the middle of a play session - or feed a baby a bottle. That's not conducive to grouping (guild or no guild). Playing solo allows me to take care of my family while still being able to enjoy gaming.

For my own selfish sake, I hope the game has a play path for the solo player like me. Otherwise, I won't be able to play - just like I can't play any game of the MOBA genre unless I want to ensure that my wife files for divorce.

But now, I might have to go change a diaper in the middle of a play session - or feed a baby a bottle.

To be clear, I'm not judging here. Your child is obviously more important than a game! But, as a guild leader, I expect people to be available during times when it matters. Like sieges. If you can't manage to be available for a few hours at a time and you need to take several unexpected breaks all the time because of your child I would be very annoyed.

When it matters I would want you to be there. People going AFK could cause defeat. I need players that I can depend on. You seem to understand that just fine and don't participate in these events when you don't have the time. It's a good attitude to have imo.

Besides not all fights being multi hour events, there are always other activities to do. Like crafting or scouting that won't take an continuous period of time to participate in. Activities where you can go AFK for 10 because you need to change a diaper.

As a guild leader I would want to know this in advance, like when you apply to our guild. I would try to find a way to make it work for the both of us. You just have to find a guild that suits your life and playstyle. You can still have a big influence and have fun in other ways.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

If you spend more than 80 hours a week playing games it's time to get outta the house. 

But I'm old and feeble, and the bright thing in the sky burns....  or maybe I just don't like people.. either way

I am hopeful that I can find a good guild to make CF playable.  I was in the very first beta for Shadowbane back in the day, and really enjoyed the beta playstyle (even with 3am sieges and international phone trees to respond to said sieges).  I always felt the technology wasn't able to support the game style at the time, and stopped playing soon after retail, once things became stagnant. The new engine looks good so far.  3 month campaign worlds sound like a fantastic way of dealing with SB's downfall - total victory by one faction.  Once combat and movement becomes more responsive, I'm expecting the game to become quite compelling.  

CF will need to have really good guild management tools, because it will live or die with the state of its guilds.  You cannot hope to solo effectively in a game like this, and running a guild is a high-stress job at the best of times.

Todd

ACE

When I took the survey I remember answering questions about similar mmo games, is there any way we can get that info too?

Although more than likely irrelevant, i'd like to see how many people chose Shadowbane.

Qk6jfUu.png