Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What's your biggest fear(s) for the game?

Besides the usually poorly made socks I've been talking about, my REAL biggest fear is that the games performance will be complete ahole. This has been an issue plaguing many large scale pvp games, since the times of DAoC and shadowbane. AoC sieges were a disaster, Warhammer choked and crashed, GW2 has ridiculous server-side ability lag which renders you powerless, and a ton of culling. ESO had similar issues of GW2. Even DFO had issues, but far less (abilities didn't have crazy sfx like they did in those other games).

Crowfall is being built on Unity 5, which has yet to see a successful mmo utilize it (the only game I remember in recent history being built on it was pathfinder online, lol). The Unity team has been trying to straighting it out specifically for MMO development, but I keep hearing from many different sources (mostly from UEngine nerds), that it still doesn't really fit the bill.

So my biggest fear is that the Unity Engine will be the achilles heel. If sieges suffer due to performance, it will be a real bummer.

Edited by helix

After launch I fear all the threads whining about FF. (Did I say after launch? Maybe now would be appropriate as well)

Biggest fear for launch is CF.exe though I'm sure the devs are equally afraid.

I think a lot of the talk about FF isn't necessarily that people don't want it, but more so how will it fit and work without being a clustercustard considering how combat is setup right now.

Yes it will surely have performance issues during massive fights. I doubt they will be able to replicate DF success on that regard.

no worries, we'll just disable our soundcards again...

most hilairous performance fix I've ever encountered tbh :D

but ya...

combat is my biggest worry... I'm just not seeing it.

My hope was an improved TERA... atm I'm not seeing them even reaching that kind of combat...

Combat as well. A lot of us stuck with shadowbane through the horrible launch because we loved the game. I'm reserving judgement for 2.0, but nothing right now excites me to log in for tests.

Ah to go back in time the first day I logged in to SB. I so young then,

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Unity: Really hope they have been testing some sort of bot simulator to see how performance goes. 

Combat: Glad they started with it, but has a ways to go.

Sustainability/Purpose: Hopefully some of the upcoming reveals/news shed some insight into other aspects of the games. Any "PVP" game will have a decent start, but keeping people coming back is the real struggle. What will people be doing when they aren't fighting and what will happen when winning is no longer a possibility for whatever reason during a CW.

Besides the usually poorly made socks I've been talking about, my REAL biggest fear is that the games performance will be complete ahole. This has been an issue plaguing many large scale pvp games, since the times of DAoC and shadowbane. AoC sieges were a disaster, Warhammer choked and crashed, GW2 has ridiculous server-side ability lag which renders you powerless, and a ton of culling. ESO had similar issues of GW2. Even DFO had issues, but far less (abilities didn't have crazy sfx like they did in those other games).

Crowfall is being built on Unity 5, which has yet to see a successful mmo utilize it (the only game I remember in recent history being built on it was pathfinder online, lol). The Unity team has been trying to straighting it out specifically for MMO development, but I keep hearing from many different sources (mostly from UEngine nerds), that it still doesn't really fit the bill.

So my biggest fear is that the Unity Engine will be the achilles heel. If sieges suffer due to performance, it will be a real bummer.

Pretty much this for the most part.

The latency issues are going to be really hard to overcome, and some of those games you mentioned didn't have the momentum and mass mechanics computing along with the large battles.

I can write it off right now when I aim and my mouse jerks to a different point because of lag, it wont fly at release.

Rage Quit

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

– Yoda

Have hope folks.

Edited by Canth

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

EA comes in and buys ACE.

ACE becoming an unhealthy capitalistic company.

Or Blizzard makes a Crowfall clone.

Or someone of the ACE team gets really ill.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Performance easily. Always a concern with larger fights of any sort. Shattering nodes in EVE was pretty common though they got better at dealing with it over time. I think planetside 2 did pretty well with it as well considering how ludicrous some of the battles got.