Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What's your biggest fear(s) for the game?

There's definitely a need to contextualize where the game is at in development and not be overly critical of things that it wouldn't be realistic to address in the present. 

That being said, many crowfall fans are gaming veterans that have been waiting for a good pvp mmorpg for many many years... we've seen mmorpgs in development many times and while it's not fair to assume ACE will make the same mistakes other companies have, you do learn a thing or two by following different games on their developmental path.

I think especially when people criticize combat it is valid because ACE themselves have said that combat is priority #1 and they must get it right, it's really the first thing they started testing, and it is something they will never stop working on.

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Don't know what you've been watching, but pay2post and many of the most vocal critics were chased off a while ago.

Everyone here is interested in the concept of the game, hence why we paid to be here. People are critical because they want their financial and time commitment to be worth it in the end.

A toxic community (which this is not by a long shot) doesn't matter at all of the game is good.

Oh I won't lie, I've been rather quiet on the community until recently because of family passing and other stress that only now are starting to ease away.  And this wasn't to say that I feel our community is such, but that I fear that it has the potential to be such, and what that may mean.

There's definitely a need to contextualize where the game is at in development and not be overly critical of things that it wouldn't be realistic to address in the present. 

That being said, many crowfall fans are gaming veterans that have been waiting for a good pvp mmorpg for many many years... we've seen mmorpgs in development many times and while it's not fair to assume ACE will make the same mistakes other companies have, you do learn a thing or two by following different games on their developmental path.

I think especially when people criticize combat it is valid because ACE themselves have said that combat is priority #1 and they must get it right, it's really the first thing they started testing, and it is something they will never stop working on.

And I entirely agree with that statement.  This isn't to say that people shouldn't criticize; little would get done, and it would only be the expectations of ACE that be met if we do not voice our own.  We've backed this, our voices should be heard, even if they're only to be ignored.  It's more the manner of which things are voiced, and the intentions of comments, that can sort of lead things astray.

Edited by NoblesseOblige

Ok it's tuff talk time from your good buddy krip. To be plainly stated the fact is this: Some of us will find that this game is not for us and in fact we do not "belong here". ACE has stated as much themselves. We are a cross of many different gaming cultures, locations, and ages! As the vision FOR the game turns into a vision OF the game some of every one of those 3 categories will look and go "ewwwwwww I'm not playing that". The ugly truth to business is that the longer those details remain vague the longer they have the entire conglomerate population.

Criticism is essential in this process as that is the yardstick by which they will measure their success/failure on a micro-development level! "The sqweeky wheel gets the grease" as the saying goes. Also and more importantly the development process is a giant spider web. Going back later after everyone is throughly displeased with the result is nearly impossible.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

How stealth and friendly fire will be implemented. To me, I've seen everything else implemented in some way or another to some degrees of success, but stealth and friendly fire continue to be the 2 mechanics I've never seen implemented in a way that is balanced, contributes to immersion, and is fun for all involved (the stealther AND the defender) without overwhelmingly favoring the stealther in the "fun" factor (and don't talk to me about SB...played it, thought it was interesting, but still missed the mark imo as again, the game started to wrap itself around the stealth meta-game). And friendly fire is a big draw for me, as it has huge potential to curb the zerg mentality plaguing games today. They've mentioned it being a big part of the game, buuuuuuuut...haven't seen any sign of it's implementation so far. It would also help CF in carving a niche for itself.

Edited by RKNM

My biggest fear is that I will never accumulate enough likes on the forum for me to be relevant in server politica and circle jerkery.

Otherwise my greatest fear is that I'll see a picture of JTodd and GWalton on a private yacht wearing suits made of money with the caption "We told them we'd make a game, thanks for the money nerds"

My biggest fear is that I will never accumulate enough likes on the forum for me to be relevant in server politica and circle jerkery.

That's one haunts my nights too.  I'm not entirely sure how I'll cope,

Pray that JamesGoblin will come and like all your content. JG is your savior!

7111d4fea662ddcedc732a7b7c3ebe1e.png

I don't fear about performance things, those can always be fixed. What I fear is that game developers greed too much these new game mechanics. No one hasn't done succesfully anything which this game tries to do. This game can only end up as complete disaster or really brilliant game. They are trying to make too many new game mechanics for this going only for category good.

My fear for this game is losing focus on what the original intend of the game while trying to bring more crowd in. Like Albion online, the game advertises and attracts hardcore players in the beginning but later switch the game's vision to more streamline style to please more crowd. 

Edited by Cozzy

My fear for this game is losing focus on what the original intend of the game while trying to bring more crowd in. Like Albion online, the game advertises and attracts hardcore players in the beginning but later switch the game's vision to more streamline style to please more crowd. 

I don't think we have to worry about that as much, hopefully... 

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/102-gordon-walton-are-you-the-one-who-brought-us-trammel/?p=1610

The thread title is: 

What's your biggest fear for the game?

Not what's your biggest cheer.

My biggest fear is the community, to be completely honest.  Unlike the common theme of these thread, I've faith in Artcraft yet that they'll deliver a superb game, and feel it's far too early (Re: Pre-Alpha?) to be condemning its aesthetics, combat system, when they're still getting the basics of the game online.  In fact I'm not the slightest bit worried about anything to do with the game yet.  In time I may be, sure, but this hardly feels the appropriate time for that.  Yet I'm disappointed to see how little faith people have already, despite how young this game/the studio is.  I understand the role of criticism in developing a game, but, I wonder if the expectations of the community being too much too soon, unrealistic, or just simply unfair at the current stage may cause some unintended side-effects, be they sooner or later.  And if these expectations are already such, if they'll ever be brought to a reasonable level, or if they'll continue to be such until people go too far with the complaints, the comments and the negativity.  And what becomes of the community at this point?  What of new members who come into the forums to see rampant bashing of the game, only to reconsider their investment?  I suppose the TL;DR is that I fear the community growing too negative, rather than constructive.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it.  But people are always my greatest concern.  I wouldn't have given them my money upfront on little more than an idea if I didn't have the utmost faith in the intention and product.  It's the factors they can't control that may yet hinder the game, in my eyes.

No one here is jumping ship just yet.

Couldn't agree more,  sometimes i check random post about suggestions/discussions and mostly people are like "fudge you casual, this is a hardcore PvP and i don't give a damn about you", this is one example, maybe i read the older posts too much or something but i feel that the first place to someone to check on a game after the news is the forums, and when i saw the kind of posts it makes me feel like 'maybe i don't belong here'.

I know, there is always someone or something about the game that will make you unhappy, name it toxic players or some random feature from the game, but it doesn't give privilege to people being hateful about every little thing,  maybe i'm overreacting about this...

But the thing is that i have faith on them, they are updating this every week, giving their concerns, showing progress and showing their ideias evolving.

There's room for casual, crafting only, and many other players in our guild. Just find some friends to play with.

And those Toxic antisocial players have a place in CF too. They're the clever monsters we must contend with to collect our shinies!

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Definitely performance is my #1 fear for the game - sb.exe is what eventually griefed me out of Shadowbane. Can't have fun sieges or GvG PVP if everyone crashes or lags.

I would be worried about the hardcore ruleset surviving the development process, but in this game I think the Campaign World concept with bands of risk solves that issue.

tiPrpwh.png

My biggest fear is that they pander too much to their audience instead of keeping to their vision. From what I've seen of that vision, it's the perfect MMO for me and I don't want that to change because of other people's complaints or excessive suggestions. A selfish motive for a valid concern.

7111d4fea662ddcedc732a7b7c3ebe1e.png

My biggest fear is that they pander too much to their audience instead of keeping to their vision. From what I've seen of that vision, it's the perfect MMO for me and I don't want that to change because of other people's complaints or excessive suggestions. A selfish motive for a valid concern.

their vision should've attracted the appropriate audience...

when the audience and the vision somehow contradict each other, then someone custarded up along the way

My biggest fear is that the transient nature of the campaign worlds won't have the desired effect.

Possible problems:

Deja Vu, could set in after fewer campaigns than one might think.  Procedural worlds or not, things will pretty quickly look and perhaps happen similarly enough.  In and of itself, this isn't a huge problem, but when people feel like they've previously been in a very similar scenario, they begin to draw conclusions and if that previous situation ended badly for them, they may decide to cut their losses and bail out of the campaign.  If this becomes a trend, which could be possible with large dominate guilds; they may quit for good.

The short time-frame might also hurt the value of raising and defending strongholds; easy come, easy go so to speak.  This largely depends on how tied strongholds are to the victory conditions.  If you can't win w/o them they'll be highly contested.

With many simultaneous CWs spread across multiple bands, it could fracture the community (in the same way cross-server dungeon finders do) so that it's likely you'll go months or years without bumping into someone again that you meet in your first campaign.  I am sure they'll make ways to intentionally meet up, but if you're playing with a seemingly random group of individuals for each campaign, most of whom you'll never see again after that campaign, it creates a certain level of anonymity that divorces players from their actions which is generally bad for communities and hurts other things like rivalries (friendly or otherwise).

A skewed sense of objective and competing incentives to win.  A winnable MMO right?  Each CW has a victory condition, but what happens when people don't care about winning and they only care about making others miserable.  If one party doesn't care about the Embargo, so whether they win or lose is not relevant to them, they are free to simply grief/harass or be obstructionist.  If their "winning" is your "losing" regardless of who the game declares the winner or loser; how can you win at such a disadvantage?  Your disadvantage is that you're trying to make it out of the campaign with stuff actually in your Embargo, but they aren't playing by the same rules so they have no such concern.  When the incentive to win is easily ignorable, some people will define their own "winning" and the people after the incentive will suffer. 

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Besides the usually poorly made socks I've been talking about, my REAL biggest fear is that the games performance will be complete ahole. This has been an issue plaguing many large scale pvp games, since the times of DAoC and shadowbane. AoC sieges were a disaster, Warhammer choked and crashed, GW2 has ridiculous server-side ability lag which renders you powerless, and a ton of culling. ESO had similar issues of GW2. Even DFO had issues, but far less (abilities didn't have crazy sfx like they did in those other games).

Oh man, the culling on GW2 release.

My only fear is the game tanking to hard I can't offload my Kickstarter package.

If I don't like the game I don't like it. ACE seems to have a vision and the guts to stick with it. If they do that well they'll make a game that a bunch of people like. If I'm one of them great, if not I'll sell my pledge. If it tanks, well bye bye pretty monies.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

That Serrated and PAX will  stop playing with their guild tags on (PAX already is)-- thus removing video content of their ineptitude at structured PvP on the even scale.  This would inevitably lead to the stagnation of my thread causing it to fall out of the front page.

TIVp2h.jpg