Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What's your biggest fear(s) for the game?

Which is why I suspect the developers of Crowfall as well as many other developers who use Unity opt for a stylistic approach to their game, so that because the game is using simple textures, they can do a lot more and allow the game to run on lower end systems.  But this is just a theory ...  my programming experience with unity is limited, as in I've never had a chance to look at it's source code or framework.

I think its the other way around. ACE decided they were using stylized graphics because its the only way to make a game this expansive with a small budget. Then they went looking for engines that could work well for that.

David Sirlin's Balancing Multiplayer Games should be mandatory reading for all gamers.

My biggest fear is that I will come back to land... that I will return from the sea... only to find a game that is just as disappointing as Shadowbane.

Elves deserve better after a hiatus.

My biggest fear is that the game itself will be a steaming pile of poorly made socks.

The community that rose and fell around Shadowbane was amazing. Social networks can jump off a cliff for all I care. The friendships you made around that game are more meaningful by far than reconnecting with some random person you went to school with 20 years ago. The friendships outlasted the game itself. The community carried over into so many other poorly made socks-farm, boring-as-custard MMO's like WOW, EQ2, et cetera...

If Shadowbane hadn't sucked long, green, donkey hooligan... we'd still be playing it. Look at Eve. Eve is custard amazing. A ridiculous number of people are still playing it. It isn't what we want in a fantasy MMO, but it has so many of the mechanics that we want in a good solid PVP MMO. Resources that matter. Guilds that matter. Crafting that matters. Fights that matter.

I think they are on the right track with what I'm reading on this game.

What I don't want... What I really don't want... is to wait for years and have that same old pile of poorly made socks delivered.

Please don't custard this up.

I think its the other way around. ACE decided they were using stylized graphics because its the only way to make a game this expansive with a small budget. Then they went looking for engines that could work well for that.

I actually like that idea better than what I initially proposed.  More in line with how the design process works in the industry, there are exceptions; but then again usually those exceptions have lead to the games suffering because of it.  Not going to mention the game, but we all know which game it is.

My biggest fear is that I will come back to land... that I will return from the sea... only to find a game that is just as disappointing as Shadowbane.

Elves deserve better after a hiatus.

My biggest fear is that the game itself will be a steaming pile of poorly made socks.

The community that rose and fell around Shadowbane was amazing. Social networks can jump off a cliff for all I care. The friendships you made around that game are more meaningful by far than reconnecting with some random person you went to school with 20 years ago. The friendships outlasted the game itself. The community carried over into so many other poorly made socks-farm, boring-as-custard MMO's like WOW, EQ2, et cetera...

If Shadowbane hadn't sucked long, green, donkey hooligan... we'd still be playing it. Look at Eve. Eve is custard amazing. A ridiculous number of people are still playing it. It isn't what we want in a fantasy MMO, but it has so many of the mechanics that we want in a good solid PVP MMO. Resources that matter. Guilds that matter. Crafting that matters. Fights that matter.

I think they are on the right track with what I'm reading on this game.

What I don't want... What I really don't want... is to wait for years and have that same old pile of poorly made socks delivered.

Please don't custard this up.

Something about hardcore player driven economy focused games brings out both the best and worst in people and there are usually more great people than there are of bad people. Regardless if you role-play a bad guy or a good guy, least from my experience in EVE (which really is economy driven, only 1% of the PvP in that game is done for th fun of it apparently).

Funny that everyone is so nice and awesome to each other at player meetups and to each other in their own guilds, but in game can be entirely anti-social to anyone they don't 100% trust. Or maybe the fact meeting people in real life makes them behave themselves knowing that what would happen if they dared to act like an ass. *shrug*

Most PvP in EVE is done for resources, as opposed to for the fun of it I've discovered. In Null, everyone has plenty of ISK, but because Null Sec pilots are always getting wardec'ed. It means these days at least in Null most warfare is conducted to secure resources, deny resources and to maintain sustainable defences to prevent rivals taking their space. Everyone in Null is rich as hell, but you can have plenty of isk, but so long as you can't buy anything with it, what is the point of it?

That's the major difference between Low/High and Null.

People in Null can't just rock up to Jita and buy a Battleship when they lose one whenever they want, they can only do it when their not wardec'ed, or do it on an alt account, then have to navigate though dangerous space to their owned space; Simply put, there are times when isk doesn't help them. And that is what drives PvP in Null currently. The only thing keeping it going this way is the mercs getting paid to effectually stop them being able to go into Empire.

Faction Warfare is self driving, people make isk from PvPing, which they then spend on PvPing. It's pretty self explanatory really.

All other forms of PvP usually has no reason to it other than to have fun at others expense really, or one's own.

And that is PvP in EVE, which only makes up 10% of the total time spent by all players apparently. For a supposed PvP focused game, you'd be surprised how little PvP there is in EVE.

Edited by Psyctooth

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

And that is PvP in EVE, which only makes up 10% of the total time spent by all players apparently. For a supposed PvP focused game, you'd be surprised how little PvP there is in EVE.

I would say EVE is economy focused more than PvP focused ^^ and it's combat is not the most engaging really...

Member of The BlackHand Order

Ok, new fear and one that seems to be a slowly growing reality: This game's community becoming a cease pool of people being dicks to other another in an effort to make their e-peen seem the biggest and best. Makes enjoying a game hard when people take it so seriously it ties in with their ego.

But that's just my 2 cents.

Ok, new fear and one that seems to be a slowly growing reality: This game's community becoming a cease pool of people being dicks to other another in an effort to make their e-peen seem the biggest and best. Makes enjoying a game hard when people take it so seriously it ties in with their ego.

what did you expect in a purely PvP game? The majority (and mostly nice people) arent around until launch. the trolls hide under the bridge

MOkvLlm.png

Just stay away from Forums and you'll be fine.. my experience tells me that any good PvP-games like CF is bound to attract big egos that poorly made socks-talk each other on the forums.

Member of The BlackHand Order

my biggest fear is this will turn into a pay to win game. the fact you will be able to buy things from the store with real money (like vip tokens) then sell them means people WILL spend poorly made socks tons of money on the game and sell them to people so they can have the best stuff. even if this dose not give them a huge advantage it will screw up the economy of the game. i have seen a number of good games ruined by this and i don't think you should be able to sell items purchased with real money for gold, there is no reason for it except to make money. and then those skins items whatever will actual be something special rather then everyone having them because someone got 1000 of them to sell for gold. (i saw a lot of this in ArcheAge)

If this is what worries you, just play in no-import campaigns. The economy within a single campaign isn't likely to suffer major distortions from VIP sales since anyone selling in-campaign resources to enemies is hurting his own chances of winning and exporting

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

Yes it will surely have performance issues during massive fights. I doubt they will be able to replicate DF success on that regard.

But right now I fear about their combat system the most.

I am not a fan of the combat....It is slow and laggy....I was hoping for faster combat.  I was hoping for echo of souls pace....something more fluid.  I am trying to be patient but, right now, combat is my biggest fear...

The campaign and band system could help to alleviate this concern. People can avoid specific campaigns if they know that a lot of toxic players are participating.

One concern there would be that a group of toxic players could hop into an ongoing campaign to grief people.

mael4.jpg

I have this re-occurring Crowfall dream where I'm like floating on this battlefield and all around chaos and war rages. I want to help my friends but I can't! Its like I'm just a ghost! Like I'm stuck in some kind of WOW style corpse run! Then I find my body and like, possess it! I'm excited because now I can go help my friends only it's deceptive because the body I'm in isn't mine, it's not ME. I'm trapped as a stranger! I feel like I'm wearing someone else's clothing and its not my size, worse yet its ragged and damaged and awkward, like the first time you sit at a friends computer, things just aren't where I want them but even when I find them they are different! I stumble into battle only to die and find myself a helpless ghost once again, a spectator who is forced to watch his friends die time after time, and the dream never stops, it's a hellish sequence and it's eternal... 

That is what I fear. But I also have a happy dream where I haul tons of loot in my sweet wagon to my safe house heaven where no one can ever hurt me, it's a land of shiny castles and cute little brightly colored bears and rainbows. That's a nice dream. 

I role play a wordsmith.

my biggest fear is this will turn into a pay to win game. the fact you will be able to buy things from the store with real money (like vip tokens) then sell them means people WILL spend poorly made socks tons of money on the game and sell them to people so they can have the best stuff.

Remember too though that the store is more a function a la Star Citizen, things to buy that will overall fund the game. I'm not too worried that the items bought now will make a huge impact down the road. I wouldn't be opposed, however, once the game is live to see a store more akin to Path of Exile where it becomes more and cosmetic purchase than a game breaking one.

"Through the travail of ages, midst the pomp and toils of war, have I fought and strove and perished, countless times among the stars.
As if through a glass and darkly, the age old strife I see, when I fought in many guises and many names, but always me."

- That my computer will need an upgrade to perform well in larger fights ( i don't want to go back to my old EQ days of turning off everything to play larger fights)

- That game performance blows

- That I log into the game only to log out in disgust

Other than that pretty optimistic...

- That my computer will need an upgrade to perform well in larger fights ( i don't want to go back to my old EQ days of turning off everything to play larger fights)

- That game performance blows

- That I log into the game only to log out in disgust

Other than that pretty optimistic...

You're very likely to need a good computer to get good performance out of CF. I certainly will need a new one.

My old computer can run mumble and any other programs I'll need while I'm playing, but the client will need to churn data fast and you'll need high speed data transmission.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka