Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Helix

What's your biggest fear(s) for the game?

You're very likely to need a good computer to get good performance out of CF. I certainly will need a new one.

My old computer can run mumble and any other programs I'll need while I'm playing, but the client will need to churn data fast and you'll need high speed data transmission.

Currently using:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)

ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

8GB RAM

So yeah will probably need to save up some

I've got lots of things that make me worry, but two of them are the most worrisome right now.

1) The mechanics of combat need to be vastly improved.  In my opinion, character movement and combat need to be as smooth as WOW or GW2.  Hopefully, we'll see a huge upgrade once the client controller goes live and hopefully that smoothness will continue even in large scale combat.

2) The next worry is more complicated.  In conventional MMO's, there is clear accountability and that is a large part of what makes them fun.  For example, I cast a heal which rescues someone from death.  I feel good, the person I healed feels good, we win the fight and go home!  That makes up the story and its fun.  Moba's thrive on this kind of visual storytelling, but that is, in part, because they are small group oriented.  As the groups get bigger, personal accountability becomes less obvious and we are left with the sort of thing we saw in GW2 or WAR.  The group that pours more AOE's into the smaller group wins.  That can be fun for a while, but there needs to be more to the game.

To really be a breakout game, Crowfall needs to make larger fights meaningful, while at the same time offering smaller group opportunities.  Thus far, we've only played, seen and heard about small group combat.  We need to hear and see more from the developers about large scale combat.  

Edited by teer

Combat.  I'm hoping it's at least as good, fluid, and entertaining by launch as Tera's was.  We're obviously in pre-alpha stages so they've time to improve things, I just hope they improve it right.  Looking forward to beta...

Yes it will surely have performance issues during massive fights. I doubt they will be able to replicate DF success on that regard.

But right now I fear about their combat system the most.

I'm not a huge fan of Camelot Unchained but take a look at the number of people at around 28:30 in this video.  The dev summoned all 600 players currently playing into one area plus a bunch of bots and it barely causes him any lag. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h0f_PVDT4I

Apparently they built their engine from the ground up to support massive battles, which is pretty smart. 

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

One of them?  That CF will be EVE painted fantasy. 

Dont you mean that Crowfall will be a fantasy painted EVE Online?!

Or other way said, that Crowfall will be EVE online in a fantasy setting.

And well, if they mix in enough ideas of their own, that might be able to become a very good game in its own.

But of course its always better, to make this one single game, only existing in your own mind, without any kind of intervention... .

Thats why we have dozens of similar games of MMOs with a fantasy setting, trying to become that one single big game, everyone is waiting for since already several years, but everyone is failing if they even try to attempt this, because they either are lacking the skill or the resources, or both.

If some of them would combine their skills and resources, and share their inidividual visions of their game and adapt/adjust them, maybe a real noticeable and worthy game could be able to emerge out of that, instead of (maybe) a dozen of only good attempts to achieve this goal on their own and failing more or less to do so.

There are just too many single MMO projects out there to be able to make it all where they are aiming at maybe. If they would be able to cooperate somehow to some degree I think the independent gaming industry would benefit incredible magnificent from this.

Think about if there would be a dozen of Star Citizen projects out there and everyone having a small share of the resources and skills of this one single major project. Not anyone could ever hope to achieve the great vision of Star Citizen on their own, they couldnt even dream of that.

I'm not a huge fan of Camelot Unchained but take a look at the number of people at around 28:30 in this video.  The dev summoned all 600 players currently playing into one area plus a bunch of bots and it barely causes him any lag. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h0f_PVDT4I

Apparently they built their engine from the ground up to support massive battles, which is pretty smart. 

Camelot Unchained is very good craftmanship indeed, from the base/beginning. Very solid foundation.

They wanted to make sure that their game can deliver what they expect, so they made sure of that by making their own game engine. Thats very solid, but takes time of course. I really like that I have to say.

I was very surprised that Star Citizen, with their great and ambitious vision didnt do so as well. But well I think they have the skills and resources to modify any common game engine, that suits their conditions, to their individual needs.

Yes they did but at what cost? They're very behind on the schedule and the combat is bad..

When I first read that I thought you were talking about Crowfall.   :D

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Dont you mean that Crowfall will be a fantasy painted EVE Online?!

I mean that a fear is that CF will be very similar to EVE save for the fantasy look and setting.  Therefore, "EVE painted fantasy." 

Instead of spreadsheests, we'll have spreadscrolls...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Combat is my number one concern.

Crowfall has the potential, the ground work is in place to be an extremely skill dependent game. But the execution so far has been extremely far off. I'm not sure how, but they have turned a high skill sub-genre (action combat) into nothing but a button zerg. Its only Combat Alpha so its not so far into development that changes cant be made. 

I just hope the Crowfall team makes the changes it needs to be a real contender for being a skill based game. I am optimistic they will make the necessary changes.  

Edited by vunak

Yes they did but at what cost? They're very behind on the schedule and the combat is bad..

I'm not trying to say I like CU at all.  I just thought it was pretty incredible to see a game that supports that many people without any indication of a performance degradation.

Maj, Keeper of Da Plank - The Shipwrecked Pirates

I'm not trying to say I like CU at all.  I just thought it was pretty incredible to see a game that supports that many people without any indication of a performance degradation.

Publicly they have stated they use lots of bots and they are using very high end rigs to show this stuff off.  One of the most important distinctions is that CU has not released any info on sieges or building destruction other than there will be islands that move closer together.  lol what?

Crowfall learned from Shadowbane and designed a game where you take all the destruction out into a campaign and bring your spoils back to your Kingdom.  Thus the lesson learned in Shadowbane - you can't sustain a game when guilds lose all their stuff in a day or two after building it up over 2-3 months. 

From the fans to the devs at CU I don't think they have a good feel for what its going to take for sieges and destruction to work in a wide open world because most of them come from the world of DAoC and flag capture.  The seasoned Shadowbane vets who have been through all this before seem to understand the importance of CF's mechanics   Its like 2001 all over again.  lol. 

FpOqn82.jpg

Crowfall has the potential, the ground work is in place to be an extremely skill dependent game. But the execution so far has been extremely far off. I'm not sure how, but they have turned a high skill sub-genre (action combat) into nothing but a button zerg. Its only Combat Alpha so its not so far into development that changes cant be made. 

I just hope the Crowfall team makes the changes it needs to be a real contender for being a skill based game. I am optimistic they will make the necessary changes.  

After playing the current alpha I feel like they are moving in the right direction in terms of how the combat feels. It is definitely getting better.  

My biggest fear is that the combat system will fail, in a general sense. I've been keeping my eye on the combat tests and, sadly, I firmly believe the current iteration of the combat system will fail to keep me engaged for more than a few months (if that).

Pretty much this. Something about games that if I log into the game and the combat is crap, then it immediately turns me off and I can't play it. You want your character to move fluidly and easily and not look like it's stuck on a stick that is rotating or doing unnatural movements in combat.

So far alot of the animation videos show off impressive looks but it's the final push that I'm looking for.

After playing the current alpha I feel like they are moving in the right direction in terms of how the combat feels. It is definitely getting better.  

I agree. Animations have been sped up and the client controller did absolute wonders.

I still have my misgivings about the limited action set and combo system tied into that to create more actions with less button binding. But we shall see as it improves. 

I agree. Animations have been sped up and the client controller did absolute wonders.

I still have my misgivings about the limited action set and combo system tied into that to create more actions with less button binding. But we shall see as it improves. 

Been busy have not had a chance to watch new videos. But were animations really sped up? That's gooood! :D Is there an official/unofficial list of changes somewhere?

That they'll do what other games do because it's "expected by the players."  Examples include:

Gutting their dynamic character control by artificially adding in kinematics so your character stops, turns, and starts instantly without any momentum.

"Stealth" being long term, binary invisibility without regard to the environment, players looking at the stealther, or any other factors that should influence if someone can see them or not.  It's just "click button, totally invisible, lawl"

Drizzt-clone rangers whose only weapon choices are bows and dual wielding swords.

Inclusion of stuns, the form of CC that ranks highest on the Un-fun Scale by a large margin.

Or that they'll do things with only one agenda: money.  Examples include:

Half-assed approach to water.  There will be no under water combat.  I doubt rivers will have a current.  "Swimming" will almost certainly be on the surface only.  Because it's "too expensive just so you can fight a fish."  (I personally was planning on fighting other players under water.)

When the game has passed its prime the devs will cash out by transitioning to P2W just like EVE has.

The developers don't want the game to be extremely skill dependent (ala they don't want the game to be super twitchy), they've said this on numerous occasions. Will there most like be some skill required? Sure. However those that are expecting something like DFO are going to be disappointed.

Half-assed approach to water.  There will be no under water combat.

The only game I've seen tried to do under water combat was archeage and guild wars 2, and both were terrible in that regard.

Edited by helix