Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAQ: Skills and skill trees - Official discussion thread

Pann

Nice. This is one of the areas I've been waiting to test.

From my initial perusal of the article, I'm happier and more comfortable now than I was yesterday. Character building is the primary reason I play these games. Group coordinated combat being the other large reason.

We have to be allowed to make mistakes and even permanent mistakes or this just isn't going to be all that fun for guys like me.

Now add a system that includes either no respeccing or very slow and expensive respeccing and I'll be even happier.

One question. Will there be a soft or hard skill cap? Or a diminishing return? I would not think you would be wise to allow players to train to 100 in every available skill. I think that would be the case even within the base class without respect to promotion classes. Forced choice is required else there's really no choice. See SOTA as an example of this done wrong and Ultima Online as an example of this done right.

Edited by coolwaters

Looking good. One of the things I'm looking forward to in Crowfall is people running wacky builds. It should lead to a pretty high replayability factor, especially since this is a PvP action based game where cookie cutter builds are going to be much less obvious. 

I have a feeling a lot of Crowfall's talents/disciplines/skills will have intangible value that's really hard to put a hard value on. Since this is a PvP sandbox it's going to be very hard to say increased crit chance > increased Guinecean dig speed, extra Assassin glide hangtime, or slight run speed increase etc.

Edited by Zybak

Tomes are an interesting facet for crafting/collecting beyond the Discipline Runes.  I'm curious to hear how that will feed into/from the economy or PvP loot rewards. 

Maybe this is a lead-in mechanic of the "big announcement"?!

My thought was the tomes were also related to the "December Mystery", given what was mentioned about runes.

Really hope you can go back to the base skill tree and continue to level up after promoting. Would suck big time to have to wait forever to promote just because of a progression system... it'd be more like an anti-progression system.

Really hope you can go back to the base skill tree and continue to level up after promoting. Would suck big time to have to wait forever to promote just because of a progression system... it'd be more like an anti-progression system.

My understanding is that promotion just adds to your list of available skills to train - you can always go back and try to 100% earlier skills.  Or add a Discipline Rune which raised the cap on a skill that you could go back yet again and train even further.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Why are tomes and scrolls consumable? I never appreciated this mechanism, why not just pass it around? Trade it? Maybe it needs to be repaired occasionally.

I'd doesn't actually matter, just silly.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

From what is mentioned in the post, it looks like you can - would be silly if you couldn't.

From the post:

Note that when you are playing a promotion class, you also get all of the statistic benefits from the base archetype, as well. The results are cumulative, so you will likely want to eventually max out all the skills on the base archetype tree!
Edited by yamix

Sounds like a reasonable / straight forward approach. 

I will second those who say "hard respecs".

Honestly, unless the underlying mechanics are changed (IE - bug fixing / dev interaction), I vote for no respecs. 

I'm not sure where I stand on the topic of reusable tomes... I can see both positives and negatives to it...