Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

FAQ: Skills and skill trees - Official discussion thread

Amoungst other things, the goal is to put many craftable items beyond wearable equipment that you seek out different types of crafters for.

Also I must appologise there are many details I had to censor out of this FaQ update because they would spoil what we plan to reveal later in the month. Game Systems in an MMO tend to be a big spiderweb of interconnected systems, touch one part and the whole thing jiggles.

you guys can quit being such huge teases, you already got our money.

You got my hopes up with this:

...the trend for the last decade has been akin to having “training wheels” so that players can’t make any mistakes...

But then I searched for a concrete example of how this system was going to offer choice/consequences.  All I found was this:

...you will likely want to eventually max out all the skills...

Where's the beef?

Edited by Nazdar

Nazdar

Proud member of The Hunger

Given 10 -15 years by the time we are done making skills and since we will keep adding new skills for new systems post launch.

I knew there was gonna be a hamster wheel in this game somewhere, and everyone was gonna be made to run it. You cruel man! 

Where's the beef?

At present, it is understood to be in the permanent Promotion choice, and in the Disciplines, which can be replaced, but at the cost of losing the (presumably valuable) Rune.

Also, if it takes months, or even years, to rank up the skills you neglected at first, that is certainly a bit of a "consequence" even if it is not permanent.

But yea, I do hear the concern about a system where eventually everyone will have maxed out all basic skills.

IhhQKY6.gif

At present, it is understood to be in the permanent Promotion choice, and in the Disciplines, which can be replaced, but at the cost of losing the (presumably valuable) Rune.

Also, if it takes months, or even years, to rank up the skills you neglected at first, that is certainly a bit of a "consequence" even if it is not permanent.

But yea, I do hear the concern about a system where eventually everyone will have maxed out all basic skills.

That would be a terrible idea. Hope there's some kind of cap. When everyone can be everything, they will. In time. No fun in that man.

That would be a terrible idea. Hope there's some kind of cap. When everyone can be everything, they will. In time. No fun in that man.

Everyone can be everything?  ONE promotion class.  THREE disciplines. And those choices change the skill ceilings for how far you can train.  That is how you select your "cap" to best suit your own play style.

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

I don't like the idea of having no cap for total skill points. With the information we have here, it seems like it would be very homogenizing over time. Part of the replayability of SB came in figuring out all the different ways you could allot those 682 points to make new, interesting characters.

Perhaps they'll be able to make it work, though.

Edited by kally

LJBXw4x.png

Everyone can be everything?  ONE promotion class.  THREE disciplines. And those choices change the skill ceilings for how far you can train.  That is how you select your "cap" to best suit your own play style.

Not to mention beginning with Archetype choice.  

There also seems to be no significant difference between no skill cap and a time-constrained skill cap with a long enough duration.  The game will be iterations later, if still around, after 10 years.

Similar to how there is no significant difference between "permanent" servers and impermanent CWs with a long enough duration.  Every game I have ever played evolved so much that there was only ever faux-permanence.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Meh, I was hoping for a cap.

Basically given enough time anyone has the same build.

Given enough time...

The advancement component where builds are vastly different is much more based in the Discipline system, and other pieces we haven't revealed. (but that is the subject of another day) 

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Did anyone else notice stealth is available to all classes? Unless that was badly worded...

Well yeah, otherwise you wouldn't be able to make a Praetorian with Stealth!

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

So how long can we expect it to take to reach the massive skill cap?

The longer this takes, the more incentive players have to buy alternate accounts. Otherwise its nearly impossible to experiment with builds.

It also may intimidate new players, who often balk at a huge difference in skill levels.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

So how long can we expect it to take to reach the massive skill cap?

The longer this takes, the more incentive players have to buy alternate accounts. Otherwise its nearly impossible to experiment with builds.

Why would it incentivize buying alternate accounts? Why would it be impossible to experiment with builds? You don't need 100 in a skill to use it and getting a minimum of proficiency in a skill will be pretty quick, as you'll be able to both actively and passively train it in the beginning. An old character is going to train new skills just as fast as a brand new character.

It also may intimidate new players, who often balk at a huge difference in skill levels.

No matter how many skills you have, they won't all be useful all the time. For example, the Basic Weapon skills. You will probably only use one of those skills at a time depending on what weapon you are wielding. Having the other weapons skilled up will provide you with extra flexibility in gearing your character, but it won't make you any more powerful than someone who has only skilled up one weapon.

The earliest skill levels will be achieved faster than the later levels, and will provide larger power gains. Plus, with a more skill-based combat system, new players will be able to compete with older players.

Given enough time...

The advancement component where builds are vastly different is much more based in the Discipline system, and other pieces we haven't revealed. (but that is the subject of another day) 

You can also only train one of the promotion classes right?

Given enough time...

I smell Runes :).  Can't wait to hear officially though, you guys are doing awesome, keep up the good work!

Formerly known as - AmazingTacoBurito

Why would it (a huge skill cap or no cap) incentivize buying alternate accounts?

If it takes over a year to get spec builds viable enough to see their worth against maxed-out toons, alts are the easiest way to test.

Why would it be impossible to experiment with builds?

RTFP

You don't need 100 in a skill to use it and getting a minimum of proficiency in a skill will be pretty quick, as you'll be able to both actively and passively train it in the beginning. An old character is going to train new skills just as fast as a brand new character.

Different skills can enhance each others' effectiveness. The point of experimenting with spec builds is to see how effective this synergy is on a toon.

No matter how many skills you have, they won't all be useful all the time. For example, the Basic Weapon skills. You will probably only use one of those skills at a time depending on what weapon you are wielding. Having the other weapons skilled up will provide you with extra flexibility in gearing your character, but it won't make you any more powerful than someone who has only skilled up one weapon. Sure it can, and you're only talking about weapon skills. There are plenty more that affect combat.

The earliest skill levels will be achieved faster than the later levels, and will provide larger power gains. Plus, with a more skill-based combat system, new players will be able to compete with older players.

No one is arguing against skill-based character advancement in this thread. But the steeper the power curve, the more intimidated new players will be.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Kally explained for me:

I don't like the idea of having no cap for total skill points. With the information we have here, it seems like it would be very homogenizing over time. Part of the replayability of SB came in figuring out all the different ways you could allot those 682 points to make new, interesting characters.

Perhaps they'll be able to make it work, though.