Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IdeaMatrix

Animal Husbandry

Recently, the ACE team dropped a little hint about an up-coming crafting profession.

This profession, called "Animal Husbandry" probably isn't what you think when you first read it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_husbandry

While this profession can generally just mean a generic animal caretaker, similar to a shepherd with his sheep, it can also mean BREEDING!

This is some exciting information for previous players of Star Wars Galaxies or frequenters of Ultima Online free shards. Animal breeding in games usually equates to highly complex pet classes.

To give an idea of how it might work:

You have 2 horses

Horse 1:

• Male of breedable age
  • 9/10 speed
  • 6/10 strength
  • 3/10 nature
  • 5/10 stamina
  • Average = 5.75/10

Horse 2:

• Female of breedable age
  • 7/10 speed
  • 4/10 strength
  • 9/10 nature
  • 7/10 stamina
  • Average = 6.75/10

If you breed these 2 horses, you would likely get an average of each stat with a + or - to each based on training skill, random programmed variables and lucky/unlucky dice rolls.

Baby Horse could end up with:

• 50% male/female
  • 8/10 speed + 1 for training expertise = 9/10
  • 5/10 strength - 1 for weak knees = 4/10
  • 6/10 nature +2 strong motherly genes = 8/10
  • 6/10 stamina +2 hyperactive 8/10
  • Average = 7.25/10

So 2 parents ended up yielding an average increase of +1 to their child.

Then that baby horse will grow up and be able to breed again.

Now, as you can imagine, if you increase the scale of that to 100 breeding horses, and then you further breed the children of those horses, you can end up with horses that have maximum in every stat.

Just like the best weapon or armor, having the best pet would be very valuable for some people.

Other examples would be breeding pack animals to carry more weight or dairy cows to produce more milk. The limits are as far reaching as the developers allow.

I for one can't wait to see how robust these systems are.

What are your thoughts?

Also, don't forget to check out the "Free Lands of Azure" thread in my signature or visit the website at freelandsofazure.com

Edited by IdeaMatrix

While I assume they have enough ideas of their own, Albion Online is doing pretty well with farming/crafting/breeding, etc. They still need a lot of work and it isn't the most complex system (although messy), but nice to see upcoming games offering more options for the non-combat types with a combat focused game.

It's the only crafting related drop they've given in months. Why wouldn't I be excited? Ever played a Bio Engineer?

That was my single favorite class in any MMO ever. I was so awful at DNA extraction that I killed countless animals by accident, but it was all worth it when I cloned my first mutant Ronto that had the strength to crush whole landspeeders.

I had a Mon calamari bioengineer/chef alt character in SWG  :lol:  Everything about it was funny, enjoyed it alot. Not expecting that level of crafting depth for CF at launch but the mounts have to get made somehow!

tiPrpwh.png

I don't see myself immediately jumping in as the Herdsman of the EK's but the idea is intriguing, and I hope they put a little depth into the system. At the same time, for those who have said this is doubtful at launch? Some of the ideas that have been put out there are awesome, but not needed at launch.

Besides which, most of the posters in this thread so far? We've got significant VIP time to enjoy these additions once they're fleshed out and ready to launch.

I don't see myself immediately jumping in as the Herdsman of the EK's but the idea is intriguing, and I hope they put a little depth into the system. At the same time, for those who have said this is doubtful at launch? Some of the ideas that have been put out there are awesome, but not needed at launch.

Besides which, most of the posters in this thread so far? We've got significant VIP time to enjoy these additions once they're fleshed out and ready to launch.

Well since your mounts can die  it could be pretty viable. But yes its to be seen what else can actually be done/added with this skill line  I'm one of maybe a few that never Played SWG although I could have and I heard from many that did  that beast-master was a pretty fun Proffesion

Keep in mind that horses and mounts are not the only animals in the game that can be tamed. They may very well have combat pets. Also, this skill may have synergy with other disciplines like Falconry (controlling a falcon/ bird pet) although that's not confirmed. I'd like to see thinks like that as a possibility. It would be cool if you could be a warewolf with a pack of wolf pets. We'll see how in depth they get with these systems.

Edited by IdeaMatrix

Hawker

Falconer. Hawker is something completely different.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I was a MCH and MBE in SWG and made bajillions of credits selling pets

Fun times

Loved the complexity

ACE please consider pet breeding mini-games both in EKs and campaigns

Edited by coach

I have play a few games that have mount breeding in it. Some have simple yet deep breeding process not very rng heavy, yet some are just pure rng feast, and take a long time. Personally I don't like mount breeding that have too much RNG in it, I like to have a fairy good idea what I would expect out of said X pair of mount.

We all know Breeding mount is expensive, time consuming and just a general pain in the ass. But that is what make it fun.

Building

Let's start with building we know mount have to store somewhere. So the most simple thing would be a shed to keep the mount in when it is not out in the field training or riding. The second build would be a Training fiend or paddock. It is a place where mount go to when it need to raise certain status. and to it a bit more complex you could make it so that mount have several stats. Each stats have a corresponding training item attach to it. Where breeder need to place the item in the paddock and the mount is require to interact with it to gain the stats.

Breeding Item

• you could have breeding item that have durability with each interaction from mount the item reduce in durability.
  • Could also have Item that give different amount of stats to the mount, so there you have variety of item to choice from.

Mount status.

Mount could have multiple stats such as.

• Energy
  • Maturity
  • Tiredness
  • Love
  • Mating Chances ( it is a game so there is need for a mount to have a fix mating chance.)

to make mount fertile you could have a set condition where mount need to reach before it could make babies. Such as Full Maturities and X's number on Energy and love stats.

Tiredness is there to slow you down pretty much. Say for every interaction mount did to the breeding item it increase in tiredness. If tiredness bar is full the mount need to go into a shed or just rest for a period of time before it can increase the stats again.

Mount family trees

How to make breeding less RNG? Well just have a family trees. Say each mount have 4 or some generation attach to each mount. And when you manage to make the entire family trees the same sub type of mount. Less use colour to represent a type of mount say Black and Gold. Say you have 2 mount black and gold, the family trees is purely black for 1 and gold for the other. Also you want to make a mix breed of the two type. chance of you getting a mix breed is about 50/50. by that I mean 50% chance of getting the actual mix breed or black/gold colour mount.

That way you could at lest estimate what kind of mount you are getting out of it instate of hope and pray to RNG. 

Mount type.

Will there is a lot of ways to make a lot of different mount. The simplest one I known is to make Multiple generation. And split the different generation into 2 type odd and even generation. 

Odd Generation

Odd generation would be your so call pure/Pedigree mount with single distinguishing feature.

Even Generation

Even generation would be the mix between different mount in odd generation.

In the game I used to play They have 10 generation with 11 pure mount. 3 of which is the starter mount where you catch it and tame it from wild one. and you breed your way to the final generation. with different combination from that 11 type of mount in the end you got over 100 type of mount just by mixing and matching that 11 mount. 

To make it simple they have 1 model for all the mount and just change the colour for the mount. Say the 11 mount each have its own colour, and the mix mount just have a combination of the 2 type of pure mount you try to cross. All even generation have the same pattern just with different colour.

To make it more interesting you could have the mount that spawn with some special ability if you will. For example mount doesn't tired as quickly, extra baby etc

You could do similar things with other monster to become mount or pets. It really create A lot of depth with some simple idea. 

There is a few thing I hope is not so terrible. that is the Gestation period for the mount should not be too long. to give you an example the gestation period for 10 gen mount is 157 hours in Dofus that is 6 and half days. Another thing I don't like is that I hope you don't have to level mount to a set level so that it can breed.

Disclaimer

This is not really my idea It is part of Mount Breeding in a French game call Dofus. I just though they have a nice system and i should share it.

mael4.jpg

The best breeding systems I've come across (not including bio engineering) are from an Ultima Online free shard and Ark. Ark was a lot more RNG based but, I actually enjoy that aspect of it because it kept you constantly looking for new breeding stock and you always had something to do. There was a theoretical best but, it was basically impossible to achieve. The reason I like that over a system with a reachable maximum is that it created a system where nobody had "the best" but, you could be "better" than another person.