Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ziz

The problem with "Combat" testing & Client Side Movement

Well, the recent video they released about the combat changes shows they looked into this thread (and many other feedback and discussions threads) and saw real problems that needed to be changed. I was so happy when I saw it, it is refreshing to see this kind of transparency in the gaming industry after SWTOR, ESO and EQnext.

I hope the changes address or diminish drastically the issues pointed int he OP, 2016 might be a good year!

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

I have to admit, a first person Crowfall would be pretty awesome (in my opinion). That out of the way, I have to admit I've never really even tried to zoom out, let alone see how far it can go. I doubt it's enough that you can see a huge area behind you, though. I'd really hope that it isn't.

The old system let you get a pretty good view, though still more focused forward than back. We will see what the new system is like in a few weeks I guess; definitely some good, or at least interesting, changes.

Well, the recent video they released about the combat changes shows they looked into this thread (and many other feedback and discussions threads) and saw real problems that needed to be changed. I was so happy when I saw it, it is refreshing to see this kind of transparency in the gaming industry after SWTOR, ESO and EQnext.

I hope the changes address or diminish drastically the issues pointed int he OP, 2016 might be a good year!

That video update was basically an entire Christmas List being delivered... it was wonderful.

2s922vm.png

Chapter Leader

I guess the big question is when will we see the client controller?  I've not been in game in several weeks, but presume it is delayed.

But all of that falls short of the best solution. Having faster attacks and slower avoidance is okay, but the function of escape and chase should be significant roles in a strategy.

Going back to the beginning and implementing the role that supports chasing is the best solution. Infantry is supposed to stand and fight, and be unable to chase other infantry effectively. Cavalry should be implemented so teams have a specialized role for flanking and chasing. Having a working Cavalry which is not only difficult to outrun, but has mobile attacks that allow them to strike foes and stay in full motion means that any foe entering a fight has to deliberate whether they are better off struggling to stand their ground, or whether they can survive the pursuit of specialized chasers who can hit without breaking stride.

Every feature of the game has an opportunity for greater detail and depth to be added. Limitations and dilemmas also play a significant part in distinguishing archetype roles and strategies, and shouldn't be viewed as things that need to be eliminated just because they present a challenge.

So this bit from way back on page 2 I think is a really good thought process.  When looking at larger scale of combat (that I expect will be some of the most rewarding combat) the 1v1 pvp issues will shrink away. 

Right now Knight combat is not much fun because small group and 1v1 combat is all we really are seeing.  I expect to see large groups of knights as infantry marching slowly together, with Centaurs as Cavalry, rangers as your scouts, etc. 

How about keep defense, you have a smaller force defending against an invading force. A shield wall of knights blocking and holding entrances while the range rain fire from the walls and the crafters run around repairing structures.

Just some random examples from the top of my head that could make what seems like clunky or un-fun styles of combat become supremely important and rewarding in a different combat setting.

Eh getting a good combat system will be hard for Crowfall honestly. Ideally they would have a system like Chivalry but with big maps and destructible environments, but that just won't happen. So they are looking to find a mix of decently fun MMO combat styles and going along with that. In its current state though it was just mediocre, frustrating and not very fun at all. It was sorta the epitome of everything they didn't want. People spamming the same powers, powers not registering/working how they are intended and no skill since things like blocking hardly protected against anything. The Hunger Dome's motto might as well have been "Best Defense is Spamming Offence".

So this bit from way back on page 2 I think is a really good thought process.  When looking at larger scale of combat (that I expect will be some of the most rewarding combat) the 1v1 pvp issues will shrink away. 

Right now Knight combat is not much fun because small group and 1v1 combat is all we really are seeing.  I expect to see large groups of knights as infantry marching slowly together, with Centaurs as Cavalry, rangers as your scouts, etc. 

How about keep defense, you have a smaller force defending against an invading force. A shield wall of knights blocking and holding entrances while the range rain fire from the walls and the crafters run around repairing structures.

Just some random examples from the top of my head that could make what seems like clunky or un-fun styles of combat become supremely important and rewarding in a different combat setting.

I know it was just a quick example, but I don't see how just standing and being a literal meat-shield in front of an entrance is fun and engaging gameplay, even if it is advantageous in certain situations. Even if it is, archetypes having such narrow bands of fun and effectiveness will not make up for overall clunky or un-fun combat in the rest of the game. 

I guess the big question is when will we see the client controller?  I've not been in game in several weeks, but presume it is delayed.

Well this popped up on my calendar:

Crowfall Test USA West server client controller+skills

WhenFri, February 5, 5:30pm – 7:30pm

That looks a bit like a playtest on the USA West Server with client controller + Skills.

maybe....perhaps. Yippee!!

Edited by teer

Still skeptical of the combat system due to the complete lack of hitstun.

You can knock people down causing them to be immobile or you can kick sand in their face literally blurring their view down to like 10%.

Its not as easy as simply pressing a button though.

Try not to think of this game as a 1 v 1 game and it all starts making sense.

You can knock people down causing them to be immobile or you can kick sand in their face literally blurring their view down to like 10%.

Its not as easy as simply pressing a button though.

Try not to think of this game as a 1 v 1 game and it all starts making sense.

No, I don't mean it in the sense of stunning abilities. I mean 'flinches' from taking hits and the corresponding recovery frames. It's extremely important. One side effect of its absence is that you end up getting players practically (not totally) ignoring one another, just spamming their rotations.

No, I don't mean it in the sense of stunning abilities. I mean 'flinches' from taking hits and the corresponding recovery frames. It's extremely important. One side effect of its absence is that you end up getting players practically (not totally) ignoring one another, just spamming their rotations.

Hmm Combo's and combo breakers in CF?  Not hating the idea entirely.  Considering their will probably some type of immobilization or stuns with ways to break them why not allow combo's that could be broken just the same.