Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gathering vs. Manufactoring vs. Combat

Gustav

I've been waiting for quite some time, to hear more about, how the crafting model interacts, with the equipment demand - and in the end, how it will influence points of interest, tied to where confilcts will take place.

I've read through the pinned topic which hints, in broad terms, that the gathering/crafting model will have an impact, on the combat and that there will be some sort of equipment decay.

So a few quiestions, I hope someone can elaborate on..:)

When will there be more information around this Gathering vs. Manufactoring vs. Combat synergy?​

Im not a fan of go gather materials for 5 min, craft a copper sword in 10 sec,s over some kind of very abundant firesource in the game world and you have the most powerfull weapon, tied to your character power.

Then 5 levels later, the most powerfull weapon is an iron sword, which takes the same effort as the copper sword to make. Maybe this sword can break, but its unintersetning, since it only takes 5 minutes to remake.

Whatever its levels or skillpoints to use said weapon, the model is usually the same across all MMO's.

Will the crafting system influence, how powerfull classes will be?

Often its very difficult to balance out, how well the PvP system works - In the simple example how much healing matters, how much CC matters and the amount of burst damage available. Usually a few classes ends up being somewhat more powerfull than others.

I was thinking of maybe accept, that the power between classes will never be equal and maybe use this fact and tie the classes power, to how developed gathering/crafting was in a faction in said campaign.

Examples could be, that leather classes will start out being more powerfull than other classes, since its really fast to kill an animal and take on its skin. At this stage magic follow by range classes have the upper hand, since metals are more difficult to come by.

The clothing facilities will be available and the power tips towards cloth classes and stealth classes.

Then mining operations come online, forges has been made and heavy melee will start to have its golden age.

Guess this model suggested,  somewhat resemble a more traditional approach, which a lot of RTS games take, on how powerfull a faction might be at a certain stage in a campaign.

When will the be more information available in general, which isn't tied to combat?

I accept that the combat is very central to conflict based games - but with a hopefull release in 2016, I hope to see more gameplay tested, which the combat should evolve around - else you might as well play random X shootmeup game, if the center of conflict is irrelevant. And makeing my own little plot playground, equal to all others, just by slaying some random players in some random campaign, is not what Im hopeing for.

• 4 weeks later...

Not trying to sound like a idiot here but your post was all over the place but let me try and see if I can understand where you were trying to hint at. Your are trying to find out if what we can craft at a specific time will determine how capable the specific classes will be at the time and I think that will be the case but that seems like something that will be more of a issue late campaign than early. During the first phases the supplies are abundant, meaning neither side should have a issue supplying all of their classes. But as the resources dwindle and fights begin to break out over the few resource nodes left people things will start to break and depending on if you can get a hold of those supplies it will determine if you can keep feeding equipment to your fighters or not.

A good example of this would be your side being able to hold the iron mines but the other side holds most of the lumbermills. Then any class that needs the iron will be better armed they their guys but any class needing wood would be less geared then their side.

I would like to see the crafters, being the middle men that they are, determine how big of a impact this lack/abundance of resources this will be. I can see early crowfall campaigns being fight with mainly subpar gear because the crafters will still be just barely getting into their skill trees. Meaning only low quality gear will be made. But as the game progresses weeks, months, years down the line the quality of gear early game will be the best it will be throughout the entire campaign and it will start to be a struggle to keep that quality because as the supplies start to run low people will have to start settling for worst quality and a crafters job becomes less about putting out the best quality and more about making the most of what you can get.

But this is all what I hope to see at release.

Edited by silhaku

Your first and third questions seem to be redirected at ACE, asking when we will have more info about such and such. I don't think asking "when" questions at this stage is gonna get you any useful answer, not from us (the backers) nor from the developers. There is a lot of ground to cover still, and combat is not good yet.

Then your second question, the only one that doesn't ask "when", is regarding class balance and how it ties to crafting. Hell we don't even have all archetypes in, how are we gonna have answers about how the balance of classes ties in the crafting system?

I understand the concerns man, but your answer to those issues are as good as mine.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

The combat system is the first development focus, which is why detailed information released up to this point has mostly been focused on combat. There can only be one top priority at a time, and right now it's combat.

The other systems will get their turns in the spotlight. It's all coming, we just haven't reached the later stages of the project plan yet.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

They are purposely vague about everything because they haven't designed or finalized much yet. These things aren't certain or Guarenteed, they say just enough to pique your interest without committing to or investing in designing it.

Pick up a TV show and a few interm games, it's gonna be a while.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Not trying to sound like a idiot here but your post was all over the place but let me try and see if I can understand where you were trying to hint at. Your are trying to find out if what we can craft at a specific time will determine how capable the specific classes will be at the time and I think that will be the case but that seems like something that will be more of a issue late campaign than early. During the first phases the supplies are abundant, meaning neither side should have a issue supplying all of their classes. But as the resources dwindle and fights begin to break out over the few resource nodes left people things will start to break and depending on if you can get a hold of those supplies it will determine if you can keep feeding equipment to your fighters or not.

A good example of this would be your side being able to hold the iron mines but the other side holds most of the lumbermills. Then any class that needs the iron will be better armed they their guys but any class needing wood would be less geared then their side.

I would like to see the crafters, being the middle men that they are, determine how big of a impact this lack/abundance of resources this will be. I can see early crowfall campaigns being fight with mainly subpar gear because the crafters will still be just barely getting into their skill trees. Meaning only low quality gear will be made. But as the game progresses weeks, months, years down the line the quality of gear early game will be the best it will be throughout the entire campaign and it will start to be a struggle to keep that quality because as the supplies start to run low people will have to start settling for worst quality and a crafters job becomes less about putting out the best quality and more about making the most of what you can get.

But this is all what I hope to see at release.

Its exactly what I tried to raise questions about - thanks for making it more clear.

The concept of not making standard crafting and let the resources available be the factor of a sides ability to fight, would make the campaigns very interesting.

Yeah, I hope to see crafting skills not only determine what kind of gear you can make but also some that improve the chances at higher quality items, less resource usage for items, more refinement of items (giving the crafter more choices when it comes to attributes, even some just for certain perks and skills. That means just because someone can make steel armor , it doesn't mean the guy making iron is worse.

Edited by silhaku

• 2 weeks later...

While we don't have all the information yet, I think I can somewhat answer the first part of your post. Pretty much all gear will be crafted. What this means is that in order for you as a combatant to perform at your best, you must either gather materials and craft gear to suit your needs or have somebody else do it for you. In other mmo's, gear mostly increases your base statistics and is found as drops on enemy mobs. In crowfall, (other than rare treasure cases) all of your gear must be crafted or stolen from another player. The system itself may be simple but, the complexity of player interaction is increased significantly. Also, since the items are crafted with interchangeable materials, there may be thousands or millions of combinations of statistics available. Crafting isn't just about hitting a button to make an item, it's the experience of finding the materials, making social connections, controlling the flow of power in the entire game. The simplicity of making an item has a very small effect on the system as a whole.

That being said, I'm all for complexity as long as it doesn't include tedious mini-games designed to waste time.

That being said, I'm all for complexity as long as it doesn't include tedious mini-games designed to waste time.

*Raises glass*

Here's to non-tedious minigames designed not to waste time, but instead to make crafting feel enjoyable and to facilitate some impact from player skill (not necessarily the same exact skill-set as combat)! *tink* 6_u

As well as... you know... more official info regarding crafting. 8P

Edited by Lephys

This post brought to you by...
Lephys. Because everything's better with a smile facepalm.