Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crafted Items for In Game Chat

Zolaz

Basically in order to use in game chat functions like /guild or /local you have to have an item that you are wearing on your person.  Have had this before in other games and liked it.  Give the item a number of charges and each time the player dies one of the charges is lost.  Or if there is full loot of dead players, each time the item was put on.

Seems like VOIP with negate something like this for guild chats, no?

The only way I could see something like this fitting into the game would be if it was for like an area shout.  IE:  You have a magic horn that allows you to speak into it, and it projects a pretty great distance in the Campaign World.  The limited charges would be justified since it's magic, and the magic wears out after a while.  Plus it would prevent players from spamming area chats.

[@--(o.O)@]

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting idea. My question though, is how does it add to the game? I doubt the Devs are at a point where they already need to plan more resource sinks in the economy, and wouldn't this take away - in some part - from the value of being in a guild? If there were no area chat, which I've not seen or read anything on yet, the idea of an item that would allow a zone/campaign shout would be pretty sweet and tactically useful. I am concerned though that if it were a common or easily crafted item it would lose it's purpose and only be a resource sink. Worse, even if rare, I bet a third of them would be used for troll shouts.

Anything that makes in-game communication more difficult, no matter how interesting or steeped in lore, is detrimental to a competitive game because out-of-game communications become a compounding advantage.

The end result is simply that a player would be forced to use a VOIP service or pay an in-game penalty to work with other players, which is a hassle.