Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fear - the Mana of Duelists (suggestion)

chancellor

In keeping with the design principle that magic should work a little differently for some archetypes, I propose that guineceans use a pool called Fear to power their abilities. The idea is that these clever rodents have channeled their fear into a strength. Remember that there is no courage without fear, and true bravery is to master that fear.

ACE could make it work any way they like, of course, but my  idea is like this:

• Guineceans start at 25% of max fear when they spawn due to general native anxiety.
  • Using abilities (magic powers) on the hotbar consumes Fear, as they have practiced these and routine calms them.
  • Taking damage generates fear, as does seeing nearby toons die.
  • Standing or crouching, doing nothing (using no abilities nor moving) generates Fear, possibly only up to 50%. This explains why rodents have a third fight or flight option, Play Dead.
  • Play Dead could even be a power that makes guineceans quickly build Fear, be lootable and look dead, but they should still be targetable while Playing Dead.
Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Actually, he proposed that they use their own fear as a power source.

The joke was that the Guineceans aren't afraid of anything but it's their enemies that are afraid of them.

Hm, I feel like Duelist's abilities shouldn't be based on them getting hit. They seem a bit too light-weight and more evade-y.

Yea I agree. I hope the duelist is super mobile and evasive. I have a feeling it will be with the sword/pistol combo.

They should be hard to hit. And have great agility and manual dexterity. 

Hm, I feel like Duelist's abilities shouldn't be based on them getting hit. They seem a bit too light-weight and more evade-y.

But everyone gets hit in CF, especially with all the AoE attacks.

Duelists would start with enough Fear on their bar to immediately do some actions (unlike with rage)

and after you take damage is when you REALLY need those fight or flight powers.

Besides, getting hit and seeing your own blood tends to boost your adrenaline even more than dishing out the damage.

ACE should run with this fear mechanic! I propose the following ability to allow Rodents to quickly gain fear at the start of a fight (similar to Legionnaire Eternal Rage).

Piss Self. Momentary loss of bowel control fuels your fear. Gain 100% Fear.

If that is not politically correct enough, an alternative name is Make Yellow Snow. In late season campaigns this could have the bonus effect of melting the frozen ground to allow a faster escape burrow.

This fits well with the overall Guinecean archetype.

They should be hard to hit. And have great agility and manual dexterity. 

But everyone gets hit in CF, especially with all the AoE attacks.

Duelists would start with enough Fear on their bar to immediately do some actions (unlike with rage)

and after you take damage is when you REALLY need those fight or flight powers.

Besides, getting hit and seeing your own blood tends to boost your adrenaline even more than dishing out the damage.

Its the difference between getting hit and relying on getting hit. Like how you wouldn't usually have a mage or a thief in games rely on taking hits, same thing here, Duelist isn't one of those frontliners.

Its the difference between getting hit and relying on getting hit. Like how you wouldn't usually have a mage or a thief in games rely on taking hits, same thing here, Duelist isn't one of those frontliners.

No worries. As I proposed, you start with some Fear in your pool, and there will be multiple ways to generate Fear, like the other mana pools.

• Taking damage generates fear, as does seeing nearby toons die.

So in sieges with theoretically hundreds of friends around you dying, and foes, their 'Fear' bar is a solid line that refuses to go down no matter how furiously one facerolls the keyboard. 

Love the rest of it, thematically, even if it is quite silly.  Just that one there might need some fine tuning. 

Edited by NoblesseOblige

A little golfclap for the execution, really well done. The implementation on the other hand is a little lack luster:

Maybe it should be bravery? XD

or sacrifise for that matter would fit with the concept we have so far better. Nothing against the concept of fear it just seems a little far fetched from what we already got. 

In the backstory we got so far, there is no indication of "fear" or anything similar. Even if you only read the first 3 paragraph's you can immedietly tell that he is full of himself (what is an odd thing to say considering he is about 1.10m).

There are just better concepts out there then fear. Call it Bravery, Dignity, Aggrogance, Conceit, Superiority, Hornor, Glory, Greatness, Honesty.

All those things just fit better with what we already got presented before us. Heck even the idea of Momentum goes better in line with the backstory then fear.

Just to be concice: Execution = Great, Implenmentation = a bit off

Edited by IamMe

I AM ME!
I love you all.

So in sieges with theoretically hundreds of friends around you dying, and foes, their 'Fear' bar is a solid line that refuses to go down no matter how furiously one facerolls the keyboard. 

Love the rest of it, thematically, even if it is quite silly.  Just that one there might need some fine tuning. 

Having extra Fear in large-scale engagements may offset the Duelist's complete lack of AoE attacks ('cuz duelists are best in 1v1 fights), other than those picked up with disciplines; but I agree that it would make sense to factor in diminishing returns for Fear generated by many deaths over a short period of time.

Sapping fortification walls and any other power that would be extra-useful in sieges would correspondingly have a VERY high Fear cost to the Duelist. I'm thinking 90% or better.

Guineceans start at 50% fear and a reasonable but lowish base regeneration rate during combat.

They should be able to hold their own 1v1 versus most archetypes at their base cooldown and regeneration rate.

But:

For each enemy within a certain distance their cooldowns decrease by X and regeneration rate increases by Y.

For each ally within a certain distance their cooldowns increase by X and regeneration rate decreases by Y.

Making the little frightened adorable fluffy hamster the raging badass you want by your side when you are outnumbered.

*edit* X and Y should be pretty small per player with an overall cap to the total amount the cooldown/regeneration can be modified.

Edited by Stubbs

A little golfclap for the execution, really well done. The implementation on the other hand is a little lack luster:

or sacrifice for that matter would fit with the concept we have so far better. Nothing against the concept of fear it just seems a little far fetched from what we already got. 

In the backstory we got so far, there is no indication of "fear" or anything similar. Even if you only read the first 3 paragraph's you can immedietly tell that he is full of himself (what is an odd thing to say considering he is about 1.10m).

There are just better concepts out there then fear. Call it Bravery, Dignity, Arrogance, Conceit, Superiority, Honor, Glory, Greatness, Honesty.

All those things just fit better with what we already got presented before us. Heck even the idea of Momentum goes better in line with the backstory then fear.

Just to be concise: Execution = Great, Implementation = a bit off

Execution & Implementation?

I think you dislike the concept because it names the basic emotion that guineceans have mastered, using courage, to become so formidable.

Don't think for a second that they are foolishly arrogant or conceited either.

Guineceans suffer from the Napoleon's complex, all right. 

From past experience they've been marginalized and discounted enough to know that they must extol their virtues up front or risk being passed over, with their talents squandered in uncreative, non-combatant roles. Perish the thought!

Courage and Sacrifice are so thouroughly wrapped into the Fear pool mechanic that they're its main strengths. Remember:

• There is no courage unless it overcomes fear.
  • Sacrifice is impossible for cowards because they are slaves to fear. That's why cowards get their teams killed.

​So give it another name and mechanics that fit the theme, no problem.  :)

Edited by chancellor

There was a thread not too long ago about what the duelist resource could be and I still agree with my original idea;

I think these guys would end up really mobile so I would imagine a resource that builds up as you move, I think that would be reasonable. While you are transporting you'll always be ready to go and seems like what they would be best for in 1v1 set ups is having them want to be ready to fight on the go. What it would be called I have no idea.

Fear, from what I've been reading, revolves too heavily on external events such as comrade or enemy death, getting hit, and so forth. Point is, the Duelist should have a resource which they can maintain themselves.

I wouldn't be opposed of us just using Mana. No need to create a new resource when this one will probably work just fine for the Duelist's role. 

• 2 weeks later...

First thoughts:         When I first picked this up, i thought it was a joke from the title, but now I see that it is actually a logical/ridiculous/fun fuel bar.  My only concern is why a character who's combat style is dodging should be rewarded for not dodging.  It's like a dodge tank healing every time it gets hit!  For the alternative methods of getting fear, it would just be a resource where you use an ability to power an ability.

My final thoughts:  All in All, I think this is a very unique and imaginative resource bar, but might fit a little better on something like a knight or stoneforged, where they get a reward for protecting their allies, kind of like an endurance or bravery bar. 

Suggestion:           Since there are many AoE and stuns, fear might be boosted by having a huge AoE land nearby (kinda like a "HOLY ****************** THAT AXE NEARLY KILLED ME!" kind of thing).  Or when they are feared or stunned, because they are feared or stunned.  An interesting concept would be that since your resource is lowered when you use abilities since you are conquering the fears, You could get a mini buff for successful hits, and more resource if you miss (because its kinda scary to miss something in the middle of combat).  Just my opinion, and I admit that the resource going up due to missing is sorta hypocritical to my first statement: that you shouldn't be rewarded for failing, what are your thoughts on this?

The merchant families of Guinecea were the first to establish trade between Worlds. Our artist, the inventors of sculpture and stagecraft. Our duelist, the finest masters to wield a blade. Our engineers, the only to unlock the secret of munitions.