Pann

Ready… aim… SPECULATE! - Official discussion thread

T...

This...

This is scary...

I wanna go home...

Please?!

I...

I didnt accept to these conditions when I was backing Crowfall...

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Archetype change upon death? Interesting, though I'm assuming there must be some conditions for this to occur.

I'm thinking the same, you have X archetypes you choose at start of a campaign and when one dies you have to play this campaign with another one?

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

A Reincarnation Mechanic? That Knight clearly turned into a Champion there, complete with stock armor. And the implication with the line "Nothing remains of the man I once was. There is only the Scavenger, the Warrior, and the Oath he took." would be that this isn't the first time and that they've lost everything from this unending cycle compared to what they started as (skills? equipment? archetype?), and the only consistent thing still is their identity and crow-bound soul. Which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a lore perspective, since the archetypes all have clearly defined beliefs and memories that they got from their respective backgrounds (and how would you roleplay turning from a Guinecean into another species, or vice versa?). And wouldn't this completely invalidate the saying of "Eternal Heroes, Dying Worlds"?

I'll be frank though, if the reveal IS a hard permadeath where we lose everything but our character name/identity (including archetype, skills, and equipment), I'm going to be more than a little upset. Hopefully it's a lot softer, and rerolling is 'optional'. Because even though they said from the start of the update that some people will hate this, it seems a little disloyal to modify the portrayed design with a major new mechanic AFTER you've taken several million dollars from backers.

Much like my ex girlfriend I have to hear hints for a month before she finally tells me what she wants. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

The pages are definitely not in order. So the theory a Knight changed into a Champion doesn't really make sense IMHO. Neither does changing archetypes on death.

The Champion is making an oath to serve a particular deity in a campaign.

Gave up on guessing what the reveal will be. Every theory I have seems to be contradicted by something.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

A Reincarnation Mechanic? That Knight clearly turned into a Champion there, complete with stock armor. And the implication with the line "Nothing remains of the man I once was. There is only the Scavenger, the Warrior, and the Oath he took." would be that this isn't the first time and that they've lost everything from this unending cycle compared to what they started as (skills? equipment? archetype?), and the only consistent thing still is their identity and crow-bound soul. Which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense from a lore perspective, since the archetypes all have clearly defined beliefs and memories that they got from their respective backgrounds (and how would you roleplay turning from a Guinecean into another species, or vice versa?). And wouldn't this completely invalidate the saying of "Eternal Heroes, Dying Worlds"?

I'll be frank though, if the reveal IS a hard permadeath where we lose everything but our character name/identity (including archetype, skills, and equipment), I'm going to be more than a little upset. Hopefully it's a lot softer, and rerolling is 'optional'. Because even though they said from the start of the update that some people will hate this, it seems a little disloyal to modify the portrayed design with a major new mechanic AFTER you've taken several million dollars from backers.

How can you draw "Knight was reincarnated as a champion" from a new image like this? Wouldn't it make more sense to call it a new character?

Apart from that I agree reincarnation as a different archetype does contradict the lore but also several other mechanics such as promotions and skills. Just completely makes it pointless to even have all of this since as soon as you started gaining skill points and got close to promoting you'd die in a siege or something and lose it all. 

Edited by blackspar

I wouldn't assume that the knight has become a champion. Just because they presented the pages to us in a certain order doesn't mean they follow that order in the comic, and there could be a lot of pages skipped between them.

You have one Crow Soul per account (The Scavenger); the same soul inhabits all your Alts.  Their progress is stored individually (The Archetype), but deity alignment (The Oath) is the same across all your alts. You can play multiple alts spread across different campaigns, but only one alt can be "alive in campaign" at any given time.  Dying is the only way to switch between characters who are in different campaigns, maybe a soft-permadeath for moving to a new CW.  Perhaps this is how they discourage campaign hoppers/quitters.  Crazy I know, but only thing I can think of that fits.

Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

I think a class change would be so awful and casual (like overwatch) but some of the wording and pictures could be interpreted to indicate such a thing.

I think that the idea that players will get weaker as a campaign progresses is an awful one. The thought that anyone would like to slowly get worse as they train up their skills and craft better gear so that essentially you never really make any progression in the game and end up doing the same exact damage as day 1 is absurd. But I hold my tongue and let you share your idea. I'm sure your opinion is very important to.......someone so let's all share in a positive way, OK?

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

Characters (or accounts) commit to a particular deity. This god imbues the player with the ability to resurrect and return to battle. Could this work directly with resurrection POI's in campaigns? Possibly. Upon committing to a god, it would appear that this could be a permanent choice by the player. This could seem a bit hardcore, especially if friends find that they are on opposing factions. Perhaps guilds choose a deity to represent as well. Exactly what these decisions mean and how they impact the war is anybody's guess. As I previously guessed, perhaps this allegiance is related to some type of in-campaign advancement.

Hmm.

Doubt it. Why give it to us tomorrow when they can make us wait until Thursday?

i'm thinking, they have lives outside the office & Austin has some good night life spots, so 30 & 31 may be out of the question

94d3694d-21cd-461f-afe1-69b22f882477.jpg

I think that the idea that players will get weaker as a campaign progresses is an awful one. The thought that anyone would like to slowly get worse as they train up their skills and craft better gear so that essentially you never really make any progression in the game and end up doing the same exact damage as day 1 is absurd. But I hold my tongue and let you share your idea. I'm sure your opinion is very important to.......someone so let's all share in a positive way, OK?

Well perhaps it is a bit too hardcore for you, but it is not awful. 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Well perhaps it is a bit too hardcore for you, but it is not awful. 

This has nothing to do with being hardcore or not. It's just bad game design.

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

This has nothing to do with being hardcore or not. It's just bad game design.

I disagree that it is bad game design...  I think for a pvp game it is great to have hardcore elements that challenge the players and let the cream of the crop really stand out.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir