Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ready… aim… SPECULATE! - Official discussion thread

My take from the comic:

Each campaign will have an established NPCs military holding strongholds and towns (the current populace on the doomed world) which we, as Crows, will have to take from them to establish our own strongholds and towns (muwahaha).

Yes I was thinking so too.

In the reveal-video of Crowfall there was mentioned that there will be towns in the world, which are to be explored by the players.

So either there will be domestic NPC fractions withing these worlds, holding territory of their own, or players will be able to command NPC Fractions (like these or other kind of NPC Fraction), which are rivalling with the normal Crowfall-Players, controlling their single character in third person view, or maybe these NPC-Commanders have goals on their own, alongside the normal players, associating themselves with some of them, while battleing other NPC-Commanders with their own associated players. NPC-Commanders and normal players could have goals wich are rivalling with each other, or are dependent and influecing on each other (complementary goals), or are independent from each other (have nothing in common or to do with each other).

From what I get from the first released page of the comic is, that, if that person on the page is a Crow, and Malekai is influencing him, then this could mean that the gods are able to control or force even, but at least influence Crows (us the players). This could mean many different things, there are much possibilities what this could imply, or how this could play out or be integrated in game. One thing I could think of is a progression system with different ranks within each following of a god, and advancement within the ranks of one of the gods associations could give you some kind of different or additional bonuses, buffs, privileges, tasks, goals, responsibilities, there are many possibilities. You could build a whole new kind of meta game (experience) up on that, could be a great addition to the variety of the gameplay experience you are able to have in this game. Like for example the ressources which get gathered by the Crows, from this a certain percentage gets distributed to the higher ranks of the god fraction they played in this campaign for, and then the people in the higher ranks of this god could use these ressources for a variety of things. One could be raising and managing/maintaining an army which consists of NPC, fighting alongside players of this god. They control them kinda like in StarCraft 2, or like more automatically managed like in a MOBA game, spawing every certain time intervall units and you can assign them then goals/objectives, or routes to take, and equip them, skill them, custom them and such things. These god fraction NPC-commanders could then battle against each other on the one side, and/or against the NPC-commanders of the domestic NPC fractions on the other side. The NPC-commanders of the god fractions control their units more similar to like in a MOBA game, meaning the units are more automatised, meaning the units are getting more customed than controlled. And the NPC-commanders of the domestic fractions are controllig their units with more freedom, more similar to like a commander in StarCraft 2, having free movement for each unit individually and just much more control of their units in general. You could also of course erase the concept fact that the domestic NPC fractions are controlled by human NPC-Commanders and just make them AI, or erase the domestic NPC fractions as a whole from the concept, and the concept would still work.

Another idea for the rank system of the god fractions would be, that you are able to advance in certain stages of bonuses/buffs or usage of super ability/weapons within your god fraction by contributing ressources to them, and assigning these ressources for a specific progresson in a specific trait/skill/bonus/buff/super-ability/super weapon line. These gathered ressouces are lost/sacrificed for these different progressions when used for getting advantages, you could also make it so that you advance in these progress-lines just by gathering ressources but not losing/sacrificing them for advantages, but this would result just in good players/guilds/fractions just becoming even more powerful. The progression could be complementary, so all players are adding ressources for progression in certain different lines. There would be multiple possible lines, which are also possibly interfering with each other, so if all players of your god fraction distribute to one line first, the advance ment in this one line is faster, but lower in the others. It would be very much like in the scientific tree of Civilizaton 5 when you play in a team with other players, each contributing to the scientific tree, but choosing/selecting their own progression paths, and contributing an individual different amount of science. These progression lines would have to be then only campaign bound and reseted after a campaign is over. If they arent reseted after a campaign, there would have to be some kind of automated decreasing of your progression within these lines, pulling you back to the origin/point of departure, at a certain (constant?) speed. This could also make sense to be implemented into this system always, even if these progression lines get reseted after a campaign, to keep (not letting) a certain god fraction from becoming too powerful.

Also I wanna point out that this concept of ACE for Crowfall, that a comic is being published alongside the ongoing, evolving online game, telling a certain storyline, is reminding me heavily on the Command & Conquer game series (Yes, I am getting old...), with their great story telling videos, which design idea (generally the whole C&C game concept) was taken over by Blizzard with Starcraft. Lets hope Blizzard doesnt decide to make a Crowfall clone once Crowfall is proved to be successful, like they did with C&C (Starcraft, Warcraft) and EverQuest (World of Warcraft).

So the difference here would be that C&C was a strategy game only (with an online multiplayer mode). So the campaigns of C&C told a certain specific (static) storyline (but you had options in these C&C campaigns also already, like what your next campaign mission you play should be, which was really innovative at the time). Crowfall is described to be a mix of an MMO-RPG and a strategy game (MMO-RTS?), making Crowfall an MMO-RTS-RPG???

This is very important to notice!

So how it differentiates most from C&C is that its an MMO, meaning an always ongoing (evolving?!) online game with many players interacting with the game at the same time, influencing it maybe (hopefully for an innovative MMO these days,  because thats what I really expect from an MMO these days).

So this means that its possible that not only single-sided/one-way the story/lore effects/influences the gameplay experience (C&C, Web 1.0), but that the gameplay experience (what all we people are doing ingame) also effects/influences the story/lore (Crowfall comic) of the game (Crowfall, Web 2.0).

The hint from ACE, that the idea for this new system comes straight from the lore of the game, could indicate already, that the story/lore (Crowfall comic) is able to influence or effect the gameplay experience we all have/share (optional, in specific story/lore campaigns or as a general feature in all campaigns).

These are my guesses so far, well I guess its a bit more than just guesses, but... yeah.

Thanks for reading, I hope it was interesting.

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

I am going to go with Eve Online jump clones.  Also similar to the "John Carpenter"  copy/teleportation that gets him to Mars.  I'll explain it further as a system that allows you to exsist in the eternal kingdoms and 1 or possibly even more campaign worlds and move your conscienceness between the worlds.

Edited by strana

In this January post, JTC told us that the sword Shadowbane was named for would have the power to cause permadeath on anyone who was killed by it or died while wielding it. I believe he will put that sword (by another name), and another amazing weapon for each of the other 12 gods somewhere in the game to be found or won as artifacts.

That will probably be the only way to lose a toon permanently without deleting it yourself. And I doubt it is related to "the big reveal".

The "knights" do look like NPCs and the only NPCs we know about are the hunger-zombies and the Thralls.  These do not look like hunger-zombies and we have no concept art for the thralls (that I am aware of).  So, it's either Thralls being used in campaigns to defend strongholds, or EK sieging.  Notice that all the catapult ammo is flying in the direction of the NPCs, so the two Archetypes are the ones laying siege to something being defended by NPCs. 

Thralls are ghosts. They're blue, and can be enchanted into items and structures.

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

The first week of the countdown, JTC told us that the sword Shadowbane was named for would have the power to cause permadeath on anyone who was killed by it or died while wielding it. I believe he will put that sword (by another name), and another amazing weapon for each of the other 12 gods somewhere in the game to be found or won as artifacts.

That will probably be the only way to lose a toon permanently without deleting it yourself. And I doubt it is related to "the big reveal".

I can't see that being the case. If it's possible for a character to permanently die, they aren't going to do it in a way in which people have absolutely no control over it. Sure, the guy wielding it will have a say in it, but I'm absolutely sure that person would only use it in situations where a victory was assured, mitigating any risk. It would be a tool for griefing, nothing more.

I think it is connected to the Hunger, and if we can loose a character this way , it may be a level of corruption every time you die from the hands of hunger monsters or from hunger itself. Another way to loose a character is to be too late to evacuate from a hunger destroyed world.

My thoughts: the only reason they might have mentioned WC is because of the Big December Reveal? Which would strengthen the theory of the Hunger / Warmth mechanic we have discussed before. You're getting to cold and can't keep yourself warm enough? You simply die with harsh consequences. You'll loose your equipped gear and inventory and maybe even a nasty debuff.

I know it's not new, but the way they mentioned it sparked my idea. So yeah we both agree that it'll have something to do with hunger/winter mechanics.

I feel like this comic series is most likely going to lead up to a crow dying in combat and the aftermath. "Permadeath" was the closest thing according to the devs, and death/respawn is therefore the most likely area it's focused on. Since these mechanics have been barely touched on at all (and would be fairly important, probably with modifications in character creation and advancement, and obviously for how long you have to loot bodies), and would definitely tie into the functions of campaign progress, equipment economies, and the characters themselves.

Any number of methods could be required for respawn - you may need to compete with other dead crows for limited amounts of mortal vessels, or perhaps bartering with the living as ghosts - and the penalties could be severe, with damaged equipment and skill decay. This is where it could seem "hardcore" in that death is very unforgiving and time-consuming to make up for.

Whatever the death-related reveal is, it's something directly tied to narrative - IE, we are immortal champions, and like Hero are brought back from the dead again and again by our Gods but lose memories doing so. The Gods could be involved for this resurrection, and the Hunger could be involved for claiming our bodies and memories, but whatever this mechanic is I'm betting it's down that road.

Active Deity system where boons are granted based on favor battling for your God?

I mean, I was pretty sure that was talked about from the start but now can't remember :D

Much like DAoC used to have those factional +exp, +whatever back in the day if your realm captured the artifacts..

When you die, you have to get back to your body. You do so as a thrall, but that gives other people the ability to capture you in a gem. I'm sure there's more to it to make it more difficult for someone to capture you and to tie into all the other stuff, but that would be a way to implement perma-death. Maybe it depends on your warmth. Maybe you can only be captured if your warmth falls below a certain threshold. 

Its time based respawn I would think, with increasing downtime per death.  Allowed to wander the EK or other worlds between the time you can return.  Maybe coupled with the BF like system of a point pool that ticks down per lost life for a tied group maybe through God allegiance.

Edited by trik

Great pic. Here's my take (some already known..others just ideas):

• Introduction to an early look at character progression within campaigns.
  • Introduction to Siege - Assets can only be captured by defeating NPC defenders first before crow teams can control them? 
  • Introduction to new NPC - Soulless black knights - Minds and souls warped from the effects of hunger?
  • introduction to the 'walk of shame' back to your body/fight upon death?
  • Hunger death debuff on respawn? Tmer increase when killed by Hunger. Lower if killed by player?

We know the 'Ranger' is coming soon but why is the Fey in this pic? Is the Fey going to drop as well? While we are on the Fey...

• Fey in the pic does not have wings.  Perhaps Fey wings are 'power' or the ability based (character progression choices).
  • Maybe the ability to spawn wings is tied to a kill counter that grants the ability? 
  • Wings will only spawn when a character's health or warmth hits a critical number?
  • Limited use. Wings may work like Z-Rush on Confessors?

Fey is dual wielding what looks like katanas. Progression choices on daggers or swords? Stealth ability tied to weapon choice?

In all the Fey shots I see different types of masks. Are the type of masks tied to progression choices as well? Example:

Solid stripe mask (covering the eyes) = Stealth

Jagged masks = wings. 

That would be a great indicator as to what type of arctype your engaging in a fight.

Can't wait till the big release!

-Ralin

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

I have not the slightest clue of what it will be. I'm not good at these guessing games. Although I did guess what the original final countdown was going to be (kickstarter launch) but that was more business related and less abstract. 

One word, GODPOWERS!

It's the only way choosing a deity (therefor lore) is really going to matter.

JTodd already said the lore would have no effect on game play. This is unlikely to happen.

Might I interest you in a low-interest mortgage?

JTodd already said the lore would have no effect on game play. This is unlikely to happen.

Sadly I agree. 

It'd be nice to have specific worlds where people are locked to sides based on their pantheon selection.  Successes (or failures) in those worlds wouldn't supply resources, but buffs (or lack-there-of) to everyone else across all other worlds who share in those deities.  Sort of like Guild Wars 2, with the WvW, I suppose.  But then I guess most people wouldn't be as motivated to go to those worlds, or everyone would crowd around the single most popular/successful diety.  Maybe if each one gave different buffs based on their success, making different ones enticing to different people/roles? 

Ah well.  We can dream.