Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ready… aim… SPECULATE! - Official discussion thread

Looking at the comic book pages shown,and trying to put the clues of it all together, I think I have a possible idea of what is to come. Perhaps it has to do with certain players choosing a certain god (possibly "evil" god) for some ultimate reward. The assassin and ranger are shown fighting for another god (perhaps a "good" god) to protect what they have already gathered for their god. So basically, all that said, perhaps the big reveal will be alignments? (Good, Evil, Neutral and so forth.)

My faith is fully in ArtCraft Entertainment bringing us a game we can all enjoy and love for a lifetime.

So one mechanic that we know is going to be present, but hasn't been talked about much, is warmth.

One of the few things we know about warmth is that it will affect your choice of which character you bring into a campaign, and may affect that choice as the campaign progresses. We know this because JT had made an off-the-cuff comment that you might not want an all-centaur force in the campaign worlds because centaurs require a lot of warmth, and as warmth gets harder to find as winter comes, you might find yourself at a disadvantage. 

Early screenshots of character creation shows the stat Warmth Conversion.

The Forgemaster backstory mentions this little bit: Until the End of Days, we shall toil in the belly of the Realms of Man. We shall keep your fires lit, until the last of us is no more. When the hunger comes, the flame falters. The warmth bleeds away.

The Frostweaver has this mention of warmth: It is Winter, now. Your kind has left.. left, or died! A pity. I find it so lonely now. Come, my little feral wolf - let us dance! I am bored and my blade is so cold. You are so alive, so full of warmth! Surely you can spare some for me?

The Druid on warmth: I weep, but it matters not. When the last warmth is gone I will weep no more. ...for I, too, will be cold.

So here's my speculation:

Warmth is part of the spawning mechanic. Your guild or faction or whatever player organization maintains a pool or warmth in the campaign world. When you spawn or respawn warmth is taken from the pool. There are ways to refill the pool, but it becomes harder to do as the campaign progresses.

This could be amazing, or madness. You'd be able to knock another faction off the campaign world if you starve them of warmth.

Savage.

tumblr_m56akea3em1qikhz3o1_500.gif

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

Looking at the comic book pages shown,and trying to put the clues of it all together, I think I have a possible idea of what is to come. Perhaps it has to do with certain players choosing a certain god (possibly "evil" god) for some ultimate reward. The assassin and ranger are shown fighting for another god (perhaps a "good" god) to protect what they have already gathered for their god. So basically, all that said, perhaps the big reveal will be alignments? (Good, Evil, Neutral and so forth.)

The current alignments are Order Balance and Chaos and all have 4 gods under thier banner.

And @youma I hope that's how warmth will work.

My guess is assassin is planned for that Feb test too. Meaning we may get to test stealth and antistealth very soon.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

From the hints so far and the comic, I am pretty sure the required shift in thinking Todd mentioned is that its not the goal to stay alive in this game, but to make an end to your existence. By that I dont mean that you die in the campaign worlds or Eternal Kingdoms normally, because you will just be revived somehow, but to find a way in the game to really delete or reset your character from gameplay inside the game, that you wont be resurrected.

That would be similar to the Prestige-mode in Call of Duty for example.

Eternal peace is the goal for your character in Crowfall.

I made a bigger guess here already.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/10351-revelation-of-the-big-december-surprise/#entry247488

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

My guess is that you can collect the spirit of fallen enemies and grow more powerful or maybe you can use the souls of fallen enemies to craft all the good stuff in the game.

Edited by KRIPTIK

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

I still think it has to do with the hunger making your character deteriorate as a campaign progresses... near the end everyone is pretty weak from it... then once the world ends life begins anew and you are back and uncorrupted...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I think the Crow that leaves the knight's eyes signifies the respawn mechanic.  It is going to cost something tangible (Resources and/or Favor and/or Character skill loss) to respawn.  Not a death penalty, but a death toll.

You could technically perma-die if you do not have any of those.

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I still think it has to do with the hunger making your character deteriorate as a campaign progresses... near the end everyone is pretty weak from it... then once the world ends life begins anew and you are back and uncorrupted...

I like the idea, but man people would complain a lot about their characters weakening.

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I like the idea, but man people would complain a lot about their characters weakening.

Just another knob they could adjust based on ruleset... you could have a really small amount of deterioration... or a really severe amount.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I feel like this comic series is most likely going to lead up to a crow dying in combat and the aftermath. "Permadeath" was the closest thing according to the devs, and death/respawn is therefore the most likely area it's focused on. Since these mechanics have been barely touched on at all (and would be fairly important, probably with modifications in character creation and advancement, and obviously for how long you have to loot bodies), and would definitely tie into the functions of campaign progress, equipment economies, and the characters themselves.

Any number of methods could be required for respawn - you may need to compete with other dead crows for limited amounts of mortal vessels, or perhaps bartering with the living as ghosts - and the penalties could be severe, with damaged equipment and skill decay. This is where it could seem "hardcore" in that death is very unforgiving and time-consuming to make up for.

Whatever the death-related reveal is, it's something directly tied to narrative - IE, we are immortal champions, and like Hero are brought back from the dead again and again by our Gods but lose memories doing so. The Gods could be involved for this resurrection, and the Hunger could be involved for claiming our bodies and memories, but whatever this mechanic is I'm betting it's down that road.

I stand by my previous assessment, this is now all but confirmed to be a unique and unexpected respawn mechanic. The crow-soul is going to have to do something to get back to life, and will hold some sort of price that seems "hardcore" - in time, investment, skill advancements, or some other form of personal resource. It's not going to be traditional "run back to corpse" WoW or reappear at X point in a new body, but something "uncommon for the fantasy genre". And judging by Malekai's continuing-to-appear mark (you can see it on the Knight's dropped shield in the first panel), the answer is all but certainly to do with the Gods.

But what? Does anyone have ideas from non-fantasy respawn mechanics? Possession? Crafting Bodies? Something else we've not thought of?

Edited by Inferni

It looks like the respawn mechanic will involve crying after dying until you have shed enough tears to produce a vaporous crow.

jCJao8a.png

From what I have seen of the community tear production will not be a problem. 

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg