Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Ready… aim… SPECULATE! - Official discussion thread

The blue represents the spark of the deity, the power that grants immortality.  In the first two page drops we clearly see Malekai the Trickster bestowing immortality on a knight represented by the blue spiders.  But we see that same Knight with Malekai's spider emblazoned on his shield dying, but the divine spark departs not as a spider but as a crow which is Hero's symbol.  Perhaps the god's try to steal Champions from each other to sway the battle in their favor.  Maybe it's based on your performance in the CW or perhaps it's totally random.

This says a couple things to me:

• Deity alignment is not permanent.
  • It can change upon death after a certain, as of yet unknown, threshold is met.  Perhaps only at campaign end, or only in specific rule sets, or under some special condition.
  • It seems unlikely the new deity will be random, though the player may not have much choice in the matter.  I would think that it would be one of deities from the two factions opposed to the current deity's faction (if your current deity is Chaos, your new deity will be either Order or Balance and vice-versa).
  • I like the idea of deity change only at the end of the campaign for either of the two faction based rule sets.  This keeps the population split up nicely among the various gods to ensure a fair distribution in those rule sets and de-emphasizes guilds in those bands.
  • Ties in nicely with my larger theory here: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/9687-what-is-the-december-reveal-about-and-why-is-it-the-hunger/page-5?
Edited by Gilgamer

Luke I am your Uncle... Bob.  What, my sister Padmè never mentioned me?

Honestly, would a death 'vitae' theory work here?  By dying you lose some favor with your god and may have to repent (give up something of yourself or material value) to re-establish the good favor?

Just thinking back about the hints and not many have 'death penalties' these days but in games like Asheron's Call and others, having corpse runs and working off that vitae penalty was some of the best gaming I can remember.  Dropping all your gear with a limited time to get back and recover it before it decays or someone else loots your corpse.  I can say without a doubt some very 'emergent play' was created with friends and guild trying to recover bodies, lol..  In fact, the best tactic's we had back then were used in corpse runs :)

kaGO5WE.png

There will definitely be corpse looting, but they haven't really explained in detail -

How long your corpse will remain on the field to be lootable?

Where you will respawn?  There are mentions of graveyards but I doubt all factions/guilds will share respawn areas.

What kind of timer if any is placed on respawning?

Does dying tie into the Warmth and Hunger mechanics?

In most full-loot PvP games I've played, the best strategy is to have your friends and allies nearby loot your corpse for you and hopefully they're honest enough to return your stuff.  If your whole group gets wiped and it's a long run back expect to be picked clean by the winners. To the victors go the spoils and such.

[His Offer was Simple. 

Eternal Life for Eternal Service.]

[My Lord was Quite Convincing.]

War of the False Kings, Day 47

[My Life Ended Just as it Started -]

[in Pain, and Blood, and Light.] 

Life ending in pain and blood isn't unusual for a warrior, but to start life that same way.  Perhaps players will be thrust directly back into combat after death, though perhaps not the same fight they died in.  Perhaps this situation won't be appled to the many deaths players will undoubtedly encounter over a long campaign, but will be reserved for a specific death after reaching a yet unknown threshold, tied to another mechanic like Warmth, The Hunger,  or deity Favor. 

Excerpt from Hero, The First Crow

"He wakes on the eve of each battle with no memory of his past lives.  He remembers only his sense of duty and how to carry a sword.

Each life ends the same. As his heart falters, the memories come flooding back: his wife, his children, the love and the longing, and the anguish and the pain. He remembers every life he has lived and the pain of every death."

With his final breath, he curses the gods…. then wakes to fight again.

My Take Away - 

The Knight's role in the campaign ends on day 47, just past the half-way point of a 90 day campaign.  To be reborn, under service to a different deity mid-way through a different campaign.  Sworn to Malekai (via the spider) but flees to Hero upon death (via the crow).  Maybe players can choose to betray their chosen or assigned deity, but it means being expelled from the current campaign.  Maybe it's the only mechanic via which players quit campaigns by dumping their deity.

Edited by Gilgamer

Please enlighten us with as many details as you can get from any of this and why you think so.

Could be that when you die you turn into a ghost crow and in order to respawn you have to fly to a graveyard (or to your EK.)(Portal back into the campaign from the EK aswell.)

And at the end of a campaign we all die (and fly back to the Eks.)

That's my guess to what he means.

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

<-----  If you'll look to the Left of your screen (on the sidebar) at the tents and soldiers formed up on the field near a river below a castle, you'll notice the new page drop recycles part of the image from the original web splash page.  Not criticizing because it's good for consistency and if it's your work, why redo it when you can adapt it, I just wonder if it ties the two images together.  

New Page:

http://crowfall.com/en/news/just-as-it-started/

Original Image:  Couldn't find on this site, so this is some random site Google Images returned lol.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/13/crowfalls-first-screenshot-shows-the-knights-character-creatio/#gallery=259733&slide=3270407

[His Offer was Simple. 

Eternal Life for Eternal Service.]

[My Lord was Quite Convincing.]

War of the False Kings, Day 47

[My Life Ended Just as it Started -]

[in Pain, and Blood, and Light.] 

Life ending in pain and blood isn't unusual for a warrior, but to start life that same way.  Perhaps players will be thrust directly back into combat after death, though perhaps not the same fight they died in.  Perhaps this situation won't be appled to the many deaths players will undoubtedly encounter over a long campaign, but will be reserved for a specific death after reaching a yet unknown threshold, tied to another mechanic like Warmth, The Hunger,  or deity Favor. 

Excerpt from Hero, The First Crow

"He wakes on the eve of each battle with no memory of his past lives.  He remembers only his sense of duty and how to carry a sword.

Each life ends the same. As his heart falters, the memories come flooding back: his wife, his children, the love and the longing, and the anguish and the pain. He remembers every life he has lived and the pain of every death."

With his final breath, he curses the gods…. then wakes to fight again.

My Take Away - 

The Knight's role in the campaign ends on day 47, just past the half-way point of a 90 day campaign.  To be reborn, under service to a different deity mid-way through a different campaign.  Sworn to Malekai (via the spider) but flees to Hero upon death (via the crow).  Maybe players can choose to betray their chosen or assigned deity, but it means being expelled from the current campaign.  Maybe it's the only mechanic via which players quit campaigns by dumping their deity.

I don't really buy that mechanic as the reveal.

Eh, I'd say most child birth can probably be described by pain and blood (although he may very well be talking about being reborn in battle - if so, this seems to imply he's inhabited a new body... still points to rebirth, which was my first thought when Todd said it wasn't permadeath, but it was close). 

Edited by yamix

Ok, here is how it is.

The intended order of the pages is:

1. What does it mean

2. Sneak Peek

3. Ready Aim Speculate

4. In pain and blood

5. Just as it started

1 - 2 show how he becomes a crow (of Malekai)

3 - 4 show how he goes into battle for his deity and dies

5 shows the Crow alive again

So the magic happens between 4 and 5.

The big secret is about the process of how you come back to life.

Thats what the secret is about.

http://community.cro...se/#entry247488

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.

Ok, here is how it is.

The intended order of the pages is:

1. What does it mean

2. Sneak Peek

3. Ready Aim Speculate

4. In pain and blood

5. Just as it started

1 - 2 show how he becomes a crow (of Malekai)

3 - 4 show how he goes into battle for his deity and dies

5 shows the Crow alive again

So the magic happens between 4 and 5.

The big secret is about the process of how you come back to life.

Thats what the secret is about.

http://community.cro...se/#entry247488

You may be right, but it seems more coherent to me if you reverse 4 and 5, and it wouldn't surprise me if they revealed them out of sequence.