Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Systems Chat I: Intro to Systems Design - Official discussion thread

All runestones are crafted?  Or just some?

All except Commander, that thing only spawns every 3 months and can be pick pocketed.

More than likely, many Runestones will require uncommon/rare resources from the world for their crafting (cause you know it might be a good thing to create as much player interaction between crafts/combatants as possible, just sayin')

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

All except Commander, that thing only spawns every 3 months and can be pick pocketed.

More than likely, many Runestones will require uncommon/rare resources from the world for their crafting (cause you know it might be a good thing to create as much player interaction between crafts/combatants as possible, just sayin')

Haha, excellent.  Will commander also have a run buff, attack speed buff, an exp boost, a stun break, and grant the ability to use siege equipment?  I hope that is in contrast to rat catcher...

Edit: I am behind the idea of substituting rare materials droppers for rare rune droppers, generally.  I am even more behind using a variety of mechanisms to obtain all of the hopefully manifold discipline runes (craft, harvest, drops, earned, etc.)

Edited by mctan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

Ah that Commander discipline :D It was a place for rude fight in SB :D

Damn so coool !

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

I'm always up for important choices and character differentiation.  I like the idea of committing to a character but not punishing re-rolls too much.  Always seems to me like logarithmic (and importantly, continuous) time v. skill curves make sense.  The idea of level "leaps" can be very frustrating.

Exactly this, i dont mind committing to a toon but give options to reroll. Nothing worse then nibbing out months of work and finding out your build is quite shi and now you gotta make a new character, as hardcore as it may sound thats just unmotivating 

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

Exactly this, i dont mind committing to a toon but give options to reroll. Nothing worse then nibbing out months of work and finding out your build is quite shi and now you gotta make a new character, as hardcore as it may sound thats just unmotivating 

Reroll is fine, but not easy or no cost one.

If u made poorly made socks toon by your choice it's your fault, of course making poorly made socks-toon is quite different from making non-mini-max toon.

So if rerolls then with cost that's significant, like :

- lose 30% in all skills

- reset something ?

- pay poorly made socksload of resouces ?

as so on

Reroll is fine, but not easy or no cost one.

If u made poorly made socks toon by your choice it's your fault, of course making poorly made socks-toon is quite different from making non-mini-max toon.

So if rerolls then with cost that's significant, like :

- lose 30% in all skills

- reset something ?

- pay poorly made socksload of resouces ?

as so on

A reroll means you start a new toon from scratch. It should and will sting more than this. But it better not take over a year to git 'em gud!

Edited by chancellor

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

What do thralls that are enchanted into equipped items do for the toon carrying them?

Pick-pocketing skill confirmed!

Will there be a Thief archetype?

Will Thief be a promotion class for an existing archetype?

Will thieving be a discipline rune?

Yes, yes, yes. A billion times yes! So long as you guys hold this dear, I foresee great things! Great things.

A reroll means you start a new toon from scratch. It should and will sting more than this. But it better not take over a year to git 'em gud!

It shouldn't take a year to realize you messed up, and it won't take a year to do it right. The earliest skills/levels will be the fastest to gain. At the later stages, if you decide you went in the wrong direction, you can just stop training a particular skill and switch to something else. No need to re-roll. 

Now, if you chose the wrong promotion class or advantages/disadvantages (wrong for you), you will need to re-roll, but those decisions will be early enough that you won't lose much time by re-rolling.

Now, if you chose the wrong promotion class or advantages/disadvantages (wrong for you), you will need to re-roll, but those decisions will be early enough that you won't lose much time by re-rolling.

For all we know, it may take 8 months to promote.  

For all we know, it may take 8 months to promote.  

If it takes 8 months before we can choose a promotion class, few people will actually choose a promotion class, because most will have quit before then.

In Shadowbane, promotions occurred at level 10, which took maybe a couple hours to reach. In CF, we know the following:

• Lower tier skills are faster to train than higher tier skills (2.91 days to train a tier 1 skill to 100).
  • Certain skills are prerequisites to choosing a promotion class (as seen in the picture from the skill FAQ).
  • Active training can be used to establish a proficiency in a skill.
  • Training is on diminishing returns. This means that early skills gains will be achieved more quickly than later skill gains.
  • We can train 3 skills at a time, each training at a different rate. 

Some of this information is from the original Skills FAQ and may be outdated, but until they tell us differently I will assume it is still true.

I don't know how the tiers are determined, but I would assume that there are a fair number of tier 1 skills that are prerequisites for choosing a promotion class. I would also assume that the prerequisite skills won't need to be 100 to unlock the next skill/promotion class.

Given that, it will probably only be a matter of days at most before we can choose a promotion class. 

It looks to me like there are 5 tiers and three training priorities for passive training.

The XP curve steepens logarithmically until it plateaus at level 10. Maybe we can actively train a skill to proficiency (10th level)

From the FAQ:

HOW QUICKLY DO SKILLS ADVANCE?

These numbers are still being balanced, but we're generally going for something like this: to reach 100% level with any skill takes 1 month of primary training, 2 months with secondary, 3 months with tertiary.

The results are granted on a diminishing returns curve, meaning that it is much easier to gain the first 10% of any skill than it is to gain the last.

As an upshot of this system, every time you log in, you should see advances in three of your skills!

This is the intended timing that ACE will accomplish with the system we see in the video. Hopefully this is the time for tier 5 skills.

If there are 20 skills relevant to your toon's build mastering his chosen niche, it will take 12 months to max these skills by passive training.

If active training to unlock each skill can be accomplished quickly, it may help us train up a bit faster also.

The sample Knight's skill tree in the diagram below shows 16 skills unlocked, with 6 more locked (one of the 6 is blank). If they are all prerequisites to promotion, even if we only have to get those skills to 50% in order to unlock succeeding skills on the tree, we're looking at a pretty long time before we can promote.

Surely there are at least half that many more skills after promotion and picking discipline runes. 

KnightSkillTreePrototype_d3.jpg

I just don't want new players a year or 2 from release to be daunted by very long training curves, or existing players afraid to try new archetypes or builds.

Edited by chancellor