Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Systems Chat I: Intro to Systems Design - Official discussion thread

I just don't want new players a year or 2 from release to be daunted by very long training curves, or existing players afraid to try new archetypes or builds.

Hopefully players with VIP will utilize the fact that they can train additional archetypes. That should help. But I do agree with the new players part. 2 years after launch, IF Crowfall is still bustling and bringing in new players. It's an incredibly sickening feeling to know that no matter how hard you work at your character, you are 8 months (x months) away from being caught up. Talk about discouraging new players.  

OS_Sig3.png

Hopefully players with VIP will utilize the fact that they can train additional archetypes. That should help. But I do agree with the new players part. 2 years after launch, IF Crowfall is still bustling and bringing in new players. It's an incredibly sickening feeling to know that no matter how hard you work at your character, you are 8 months (x months) away from being caught up. Talk about discouraging new players.  

I am hoping it will only take a week or two to get a toon up to an effective level of training if you focus on the right things.  I really hope that this shallow power curve they keep talking about is as shallow as possible so even a brand spanking new toon driven by a skilled player can be useful.  The age of the toon should be indicative of the versatility of the toon, and not the power of said toon IMO

Edited by destrin

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

So long as ArtCraft achieves their goal of having a relative flat power curve, where 3-4 new characters can kill a maxed out character, I am not worried about how long it takes to train skills to max.

I'd rather be effective on day one, and then gain very small advantages over a long time, than to be ineffective at first, and then become effective over a short time.

IhhQKY6.gif

So long as ArtCraft achieves their goal of having a relative flat power curve, where 3-4 new characters can kill a maxed out character, I am not worried about how long it takes to train skills to max.

I'd rather be effective on day one, and then gain very small advantages over a long time, than to be ineffective at first, and then become effective over a short time.

I like that idea. I hope it's feasible. Months (or years) of character development and building to a toon only granting a marginal advantage over a brand new toon sounds like a pipe dream to me, but I'm prepared to be surprised. I do have some reservations to the entire idea because of the danger that it really means little meaningful character building / differentiation. 

Exactly this, i dont mind committing to a toon but give options to reroll. Nothing worse then nibbing out months of work and finding out your build is quite shi and now you gotta make a new character, as hardcore as it may sound thats just unmotivating

You're not taking about a reroll. That's just deleting your toon and starting over. You're talking about a respec.

I'd strongly prefer no respecs at all, or at least very, very slow and very, very expensive respecs.

Nothing worse than having no real ownership of your toon. Respecs, particularly easy ones, effectively accelerate content consumption and game death. The reasons should be fairly obvious.

Edited by coolwaters

Gimmeh all the formulas pl0x.

If you have the raw numbers, its pretty easy to get (pretty close to) the formula.

For the example shown, the following is close enough for comfort.

Base XP = 43.371e^(0.3338 x Rank)

It's very cute seeing folks who are working in Excel as opposed to R or MATLAB.

Almost made me feel nostalgic...

Edited by narsille

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

You're not taking about a reroll. That's just deleting your toon and starting over. You're talking about a respec.

I'd strongly prefer no respecs at all, or at least very, very slow and very, very expensive respecs.

Nothing worse than having no real ownership of your toon. Respecs, particularly easy ones, effectively accelerate content consumption and game death. The reasons should be fairly obvious.

Thats just personal opinion and a pretty hardcore one at that, as a whole though Crowfall wont just be for the hardcore elite no sleep gank fest pvpers, it will be open to much more if they want to make more money and no im not talking about selling out and going super casual either. But a respec option even if its paid with real money would be a great one. Also im not really referring to advantage and disadvantages or race, im talking about once in game. 

Hell even if they added a penalty to doing respec that would be okay, tho imo anything over 30 percent lose would be excessive.

Nobody wants to be locked in shi-spec for months and slowly grind out a new one over the course of several months+. We will already be locked with 1 character per world from my understanding as well, gonna beat the dead horse too?

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

As far as respecs are concerned, Blair said we can switch character creation runes around when we pick a promotion class, and discipline runes can be swapped when you desire and have access to the new runestone. Removing a runestone destroys the old one, and you have to train up to max on the affected skills, but that sounds relatively painless at this point.

The only permanent choices will be Archetype selection at creation and Promotion choices. If you are on the fence, you could train prerequisite skills to max before picking a promotion class, but your toon will be shi until you promote.

I suppose that if ACE becomes desperate for cash, they may allow players to get promotion respecs from the cash shop, but if that ever happens there will be P2W wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)