Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GeistBaoh

Countdown to Crowfall...will Crowfall be out before 12/25/16?

Hopefully not. I feel that would potentially rush too many features for an MMO of this size, and I'd rather wait and see the game polished to a sheen than pushed out the door before it's ready.

flrVzR9.png

I don't know when exactly Crowfall's development started (somewhere around 2014 to early 2015 I'm guessing), but let's assume it's been around a year into it. Unity also cuts back on this chart by a lot, since the engine is already done and the asset store can help speed things up, so let's say that reduces the development time by half. That leaves mostly likely at least two and a half years (and this is still a rather generous expectation by these trends) from inception to completion, meaning we've got another year and a half to go (or longer).

Now, ACE has said that the core module should be done by roughly the end of 2016. That might be true, but going on the fact they're still in Pre-Alpha a year before that estimated release? Really, really skeptical there. Alpha most likely, Beta... maybe. But very doubtful it shall be ready to ship.

Hopefully not. I feel that would potentially rush too many features for an MMO of this size, and I'd rather wait and see the game polished to a sheen than pushed out the door before it's ready.

You can't really compare Crowfall with other PvE mmo's. Crowfall development is focused on building systems and not (PvE) content.

That said, I expect ACE not to reach their goal of Dec 2016. Which is fine for me. When it's ready™

ZCcquVD.png

THE most active European Crowfall community. Join us now!

I don't know when exactly Crowfall's development started (somewhere around 2014 to early 2015 I'm guessing)

Kickstarter opened in early 2015. I'm pretty sure they didn't just come up with the idea out of no where. ACE must have been working on Crowfall way before that.

And I don't think this is a question that we should debate over. I agree with Canth that the game is ready when it is ready. We will just do our parts and help ACE achieve this goal as soon as possible.

Edited by EDM

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I think they'll hit their release date. In reality this isn't a massive MMO at all. Right now they're just building the toolkit but in terms of content there's not that much to make compared to a game like WoW, Wildstar, SWTOR etc.

Creating the zones and questing experience is pretty much 90% of the time and cost of an MMO. Crowfall is doing neither by having no quests and procedurally generated worlds. Sure they have to make the world builder and some assets but it's nothing compared to doing it all by scratch.

There's no PvE dungeons and raids that require lots of development time and iteration

They don't have to design TONS of NPCs and gear models either.

Crowfall is ambitious but not because it's some huge crazy project with tons of features. I think ACE is being very smart and realistic with how they're doing this game. I wouldn't have backed this game if they promised world like Star Citizen has.

I don't think you guys realize, that it's not about the amount of content, but more about the fact that this game needs to run smoothly with hundreds of people fighting.

Derping around with 20fps in big fights is a big nono. And don't even start with the servers.

Optimization takes time, and they will need plenty of it

Ooh my bad :blink: I must of heard wrong, I thought ACE said that Crowfall would be done by this time next year :huh:...

well Albion and WoW Legion should hold me/us over in the mean :angry:time.

Edited by GeistBaoh

flrVzR9.png

I don't know when exactly Crowfall's development started (somewhere around 2014 to early 2015 I'm guessing), but let's assume it's been around a year into it. Unity also cuts back on this chart by a lot, since the engine is already done and the asset store can help speed things up, so let's say that reduces the development time by half. That leaves mostly likely at least two and a half years (and this is still a rather generous expectation by these trends) from inception to completion, meaning we've got another year and a half to go (or longer).

Now, ACE has said that the core module should be done by roughly the end of 2016. That might be true, but going on the fact they're still in Pre-Alpha a year before that estimated release? Really, really skeptical there. Alpha most likely, Beta... maybe. But very doubtful it shall be ready to ship.

Darkfall should've been in that graph with a development time of over a decade... oh how we waited!

I fully agree though, they should, if at all possible not rush this. Like Freeze said optimization for large scale combat needs to be good, if not great. Not to mention combat has to be nailed pretty much.

Edited by Zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order

As mentioned, Crowfall has the advantage of not needing a lot of the PvE content most other games need to iron out.  That stuff requires a lot of forethought and testing to ensure that they're adequately challenging and equally rewarding, etc.  Additionally, that's a lot of NPC's they need to model, dialogue and script... Crowfall saves a lot of time by cutting this out. 

Apparently the Unity engine allows them to cut a lot of corners too, as a lot of the groundwork is already there or accessible. I don't know that one for certain myself, but it's not the first I've heard of it.

I've been wondering myself about a Dec 2016 release, but somehow when I factor all this in, it seems possible.  Unlikely to be entirely finished, but close enough that I won't mind.  If they need a few more months to make this came perfect, I will happily wait.  My only hope is that they give as much warning as possible about that; I expect there will be a few people upset that Crowfall doesn't mean a deadline it set out. 

I think it would be wiser to gauge them based on how much has changed between now and the next alpha.  That'll be a span of approximately 2 months, which is 1/6 of the time they have remaining.  So we should expect to see a comparable amount of progress, no?

Like Noblesse says my big focus is on what changes between now and 2.0 Alpha.  This being a PvP game the combat has to be like butter and sadly I would say we are not there now.  As we get to large scale PvP that will only be more challenging to pull off.  

Bottom line is I am not stressed whether this comes out 2016 or 2017.  I am stressed on how fluid the animations and combat is.

0f678e9787b873074149c019e1245cc58ac62d89

Ooh my bad :blink: I must of heard wrong, I thought ACE said that Crowfall would be done by this time next year :huh:...

During the kickstarter the plan was The Dregs being fully playable next winter, with the other rings being introduced later.

*places his hat right*

Well, for the desgin concept of Crowfall to be working at minimum, you would need at least one campaign world ring plus the EKs.

So my guess would be that at december 2016, one or at best two campaign world rings plus the EKs could be running, more than that would be almost impossible I would guess. A full release of Crowfall in 2016, with all the announced/promised content, and everything fully working fine, would be a miracle and isnt realistic or even possible in my opinion.

Also I would guess that the easiest to implement campaign world rings would be God's Reach and The Infected.

So I would guess that these could be making it earlier into the game, then the more complicated guild-based ones.

The Elder Scrolls Online took 7 years of development, together with a budget ACE is dreaming of, and this is the result?!

... thats a joke... , honestly thats a joke!

Edited by Urahara

After EverQuest Next is gone, its Star Citizen for me.