Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shroud of the Avatar

Grayfox

This Kickstarter title is progressing along very nicely and closing in on a mid Summer release. There is PVP but not a focus so Shroud blends nicely with a PVP focused title such as Crowfall.

Shroud is developing into a sandbox MMO with incredible depth and a very mature community. Check it out.

• 1 month later...

i absolutely loathe the card system in that game. and you are pretty much forced to use because of mana issues.

if it wasn't for that and the fact that arrows cost 2g each (considering gold is hard to come by and i cant even play my archer class) i would be playing it right.

it needs to be optimized as well.

and the constant load screens between zones is annoying.

but whatever.

other than that its cool.

Edited by cloudfly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm deeply invested in the game and love many portions of it. Arrows are dirt cheap now, optimization has continued and is getting better weekly, the card system kinda grows on you and isn't that difficult but a better tutorial is a must have. It's a great story driven game with with amazing housing housing flexibility (I own a town). Biggest challenges it has right now is skill balancing and the PVP flag system. My disappointment with the PVP system is why I'm here.

• 3 months later...

With the final wipe right around the corner, how is everyone feeling about Shroud of the Avatar now?

I was very excited about this game during the Kickstarter campaign, but everything that has happened since then has led to a slow decline in my level of excitement and optimism.  POT's, Gold Crowns, Stretch Goal store, A seemingly infinite supply of housing that was advertised as being limited.

Everything Portalarium does appears to be a money grab, and it feels like they have no choice but to continue doing that to keep the project going. The game itself is clunky and the whole thing is dull and lacking character. Its fervent supporters continue to scream that it is only Pre-Alpha, but how long can they lean on that crutch? As far as most people are concerned, and regardless of what Portalarium says, final wipe is release.

Is there any hope for Shroud of the Avatar?

• 2 weeks later...

With the final wipe right around the corner, how is everyone feeling about Shroud of the Avatar now?

I was very excited about this game during the Kickstarter campaign, but everything that has happened since then has led to a slow decline in my level of excitement and optimism.  POT's, Gold Crowns, Stretch Goal store, A seemingly infinite supply of housing that was advertised as being limited.

Everything Portalarium does appears to be a money grab, and it feels like they have no choice but to continue doing that to keep the project going. The game itself is clunky and the whole thing is dull and lacking character. Its fervent supporters continue to scream that it is only Pre-Alpha, but how long can they lean on that crutch? As far as most people are concerned, and regardless of what Portalarium says, final wipe is release.

Is there any hope for Shroud of the Avatar?

I left it and sold out my holdfast and knight pledge last year.. I was pretty gutted actually cos it showed so much promise but - I seriously had 1600 dollars in and still felt like a pauper. I think in the end the forum were very cliquey and a lot of bad design decisions were made to try and satisfy deep-pocketed backers. 

Some players invested many 10s of thousands of dollars and suddenly they were being involved in the deisgn stage of player towns etc.. Huge amount of favoritism going around. Not to mention all the rage over PvP features. A lot of players wanted Ultima Online 2.0

Fact is it is a rather clunky and uninspired game that went extremely pay to win. I think it would have probably been a good roleplay environment but.. the cliquishness drama and developer PTW greed wore me out tbh.

Its a pity - I had a great witchery based RP thing going for it :|

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

I seriously had 1600 dollars in and still felt like a pauper. I think in the end the forum were very cliquey and a lot of bad design decisions were made to try and satisfy deep-pocketed backers. 

Some players invested many 10s of thousands of dollars and suddenly they were being involved in the deisgn stage of player towns etc.. Huge amount of favoritism going around. Not to mention all the rage over PvP features. A lot of players wanted Ultima Online 2.0

Being an old UO player, I was excited for this game as well.  Many of my old friends and guildmates have poured crazy amounts of money in this game and continue to badger me to get involved.  Your statements solidify my argument and refusal to play the game.  I'll wait for Crowfall.

Being an old UO player, I was excited for this game as well.  Many of my old friends and guildmates have poured crazy amounts of money in this game and continue to badger me to get involved.  Your statements solidify my argument and refusal to play the game.  I'll wait for Crowfall.

You're smarter than I was then. I kinda got most of my money back but its the reason I didnt invest in Chronicles of Elyria, for example. I'm very sceptical of oversold promises these days.

www.CrowfallRP.com

Disclaimer: My RP with you might become a public story: https://soundcloud.com/shiv-mahon

I have a very hard time enjoying SOTA. My issues:

• Maps are tiny
  • The overworld map seems gimmicky and pointless as a means of travel. feels like a single player game.
  • You can farm in single player online mode with no competition and then introduce those gains into the MMO economy. Seems jacked.
  • PvP is pointless and basically nonexistent. No sieges or wars.
  • Some skills are useless, pigeonholing builds. (looking at you summons) There isn't much diversity, really, despite the allegedly open system.
  • Some backer rewards are P2Wish (like the chest mimic)
  • The backers seem to have a stranglehold on the devs.
  • The deck system feels contrived.

I'm sure there are lots more.

• 2 weeks later...

hi im ur average shroud player

*stares wistfully at my purchased vial of Lord British's blood on my desk and chuckles sensibly, shaking my head*

"ahh, you wouldn't get it."

The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters. - Audrey Hepburn “:♡.•♬✧⁽⁽ଘ( ˊᵕˋ )ଓ⁾⁾*+:•*∴
Read more at brainyquote.com/search_results.html#KTJ4dHyeiltlKOTM.99

mz_Yr9k_I.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

From what I read and watched on streams (take markeedragon for example), it was supposed to be the next UO but the only thing that seems to be done right is the housing system. There is no challenge in PvE and PvP is non existent due to instancing and such. I believe that streamers do stream it (take markeedragon for example) because they are involved as resellers/advertisers for the game.