Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
budkin

The State of the Game - official discussion thread

BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!

Its amazing to see devs listen to feedback so much, actually do something with it, make the changes publicly while being honest and sincere. 

This is the type of stuff that makes people backers for life.

Have a happy holidays ACE. Relax, have fun, I hope you get some awesome presents.

MOkvLlm.png

Solid news, I don't think I have seen this much transparency in the MMO gaming industry in... forever really. I've been playing MMOs for 10 years, most devs are afraid to admit when there are problems, they brush past them, focus on the good things, ignore all the rest. I've seen multiple games have bugs from Alpha to launch, into the expansion and on, never getting fixed. Major bugs, major mechanic flaws, never addressed by the devs (SWTOR anyone?)

It is good to see Crowfall taking a different path with transparency and honesty about the issues. Calling a spade a spade and doing something about it. Let's keep up that attitude and we will all have a great game in our hands in the near future.

Edited by LGAllastair

KjUVOZg.png

Guild Leader/ High Elder

To be clear, the point of me simplifying my stance with the word "terrible" was because the way combat WAS is no longer relevant. I'm not going to reiterate my stance on how poorly and what specifically my arguments were against combat as it was previously. That is way beyond the scope of my point in kudo'ing the development team. 

You are also all probably some of the same people who enjoyed combat and provided feedback of that same nature. Highly defensive stances from the lot of you.

If your point was just to kudo, half your post wouldn't have been "see, I was right! You were wrong!", when, from my observation, most people were both having fun and could see it needed improvement. Things aren't black and white, and saying you've made a list of people who may have changed their opinions so you can call them out isn't helpful.

Does this put Rangers on hold too?

I can wait, but was just curious if they'll still be in the pipeline.. (and in before siege/destruction)

Also, glad to hear the reticle will be locked during combat! (And strafing is coming :) wootwoot)

Edited by Kiro Elmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Does this put Rangers on hold too?

I can wait, but was just curious if they'll still be in the pipeline.. (and in before siege/destruction)

Also, glad to hear the reticle will be locked during combat! (And strafing is coming :) wootwoot)

I am actually very curious about this, too. I was looking forward to that opportunity. Ranger was going to bring something very different to combat. 

Regarding the news about the changes...I am very happy to see that ACE is being transparent. But honestly, if anyone thought that combat was not going to change, then they were not pay attention in the slightest. It is pre-alpha. LOTS of things will change. 

Edited by Rasabox

If your point was just to kudo, half your post wouldn't have been "see, I was right! You were wrong!", when, from my observation, most people were both having fun and could see it needed improvement. Things aren't black and white, and saying you've made a list of people who may have changed their opinions so you can call them out isn't helpful.

"most" people with access weren't even playing...

there's a reason people kept seeing the same names over and over again

Very impressed with this decision. It shows we are truly getting more than our money's worth. These hard choices will make the game all the better in the end. I'm happier with this news than I would be with a rushed product. They have made an incredible amount of progress in one year. 

Great job ACE, enjoy your holiday and new year!

Exactly this. Which is why I myself get a little riled up in some of those threads because a few posters took the stance that "well if you don't agree with me that the game is terrible and gloom and doom with me than you're just a blind fan boy". They couldn't and still can't by the looks of it, fathom feedback that included both positives and negatives at the same time.  

VELOCITY: How do you think this will work?

Only on instant cast abilities? What about abilities with a cast time, I assume they would stop casting on movement? What about skills like Knight/Champion "C" leap in the air... do they continue moving mid air or just go up and down still?

I'm also curious on the animations. Will they be able to just add leg animations into whats already there or are they having to change to a split body animation?

Lots of questions, I can't wait to try it in Jan!

Edited by Ziz

MOkvLlm.png

Sweet.  More polished controls, interface, and mobility.

I wish the combat strike team good luck in their efforts.  May you hit oil on the euphoric combat formula ( Positive connotation ).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

It seems as if everyone is agreeing here that combat needed to be reworked. I have yet to see a dissenting voice stating "combat was great, why are you retooling it anymore?". Yet, when we discussed this very same topic in other threads some of the very people in this forum sided against players like myself when I said it was "terrible".

Can you show an example of someone who said that combat was great and needed no further retooling? It seemed to me that everyone agreed that it needed further development. The disagreements were about belligerent tone, grandiose statements and hyperbole, and a level of doom and gloom that seemed to neglect the pre-alpha stage of development the game is still in.

Anyone who flip flops based on a devs opinion is the reason poorly made socksty games get made.

I think flip-flopping fans are unlikely to change the course of development. But if that is your view, I note that on the 16th you wrote this:

I do, however, view some of the comments made by Todd and Blair very unnerving. Its almost as if they are going out of their way to ignore the traditional combat mediums that are seen in todays games, to take a step backwards in time, and to develop a game's combat system that will seem antiquated to the larger potentially paying player population as a whole.

And then 5 days later you wrote this:

To Todd and Blair and the rest of the development team, I can't express in words how truly impressed I am at your honest opinions of your own product. It just goes to show the caliber of developers you guys are and how truly epic Crowfall will be.

I suppose that makes you the reason poorly made socksty games get made.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

"most" people with access weren't even playing...

there's a reason people kept seeing the same names over and over again

This. I think I tried twice. I understand this is "pre-alpha". But I was logging into a unpolished laggy moba style event (I'm definitely NOT a moba guy). I understand you need bodies to test, but I wasn't going to waste my time on it, there seemed to be more than enough volunteers. If movement and combat get more polished I'd love to play on the next phase where larger parties are involved and asset destruction is the goal.

This is NOT a criticism of ACE or the effort they have put forth, they have actually done a remarkable job given the time in development, just how I see things at this moment. As stated earlier, I'm happy happy with the update.