Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

I really see this as a big hit to my Kickstarter package.  

One of the rewards presented in the Kickstarter package that made it alluring were the extra character slots.  This has now been removed or nullified with the "one crow" concept; correct?

With the new design this also devalues VIP for some folks (again devaluing the Kickstarter packages).  For those whom intend to play only one archetype VIP does nothing for them in this regard anymore, and while it did nothing for them before either (not a problem there) it more importantly now does do something for those who do not (here's the problem).

What was the methodology behind preventing those with VIP access from using all of my passive training slots for one archetype?  Why not allow someone to focus all of their passive training into one archetype if they choose?

The multiple character slots reward has been addressed in the FAQ:

This is the first time we have changed the design in a way that materially affects a crowdfunding reward. We apologize for this; we never want to change rewards, but when a game is still in development there is always a risk that a design will shift and cause unforeseen results.

Our intention is to change this reward into a different (but equally) valuable reward. We’re still discussing ideas of what to replace them with, but in the meantime, any backer who has these rewards will be able to redeem these slots for $25/slot of Crowfall Store credit which can be used to purchase additional item(s) or VIP game time.

I'll wait and see what they choose to replace it with before deciding whether or not to redeem them.

As far as devaluing VIP, I don't see it. Previously, you could train 3 characters at once, but you couldn't train 1 character any faster than anyone without VIP. The new system is exactly the same in that regard. The only difference is that you are training 1 skill per archetype instead of 3, but that's true for everyone, not just VIP. Nothing has changed for those who intend to play multiple archetypes. They could train 3 archetypes at once before and they can do so now.

The intent behind preventing all 3 training slots to be used on a single archetype is pretty obvious. That would give VIP players an unfair advantage as they'd be able to train an archetype 3 times faster than non-VIP players. Training 3 different archetypes at once gives you more flexibility, but it doesn't give you more power.

Edited by Arkade

To people worried about a lack of permanence: vessels decay like gear each time you die. I doubt you'll be losing your character any time soon and you could theoretically craft / buy exact clones in the meantime. Dregs notwithstanding, of course.

That's what keeps me a little happier, if in diferent rulesets you can keep this body normaly and kinda ignore the vessels thing i have no problem on having it and trying it someday.

I'm no roleplayer, i just like to think when i create a character in a mmorpg: "that's me, Altair person". I would dedicate my time choosing atributes, customizing the character, because hey "it's me right?"

You are right about the lore thingy. No one said that being a crow would be all fun and games. Maybe this was just a great punch that i didn't expected.

Ples don mind me bed gremmer, i'm Apollo Gise

Really cool concept. Especially if you can snag another body on the battle field for quicker, lower quality, access back into the heat of the battle or tenuously craft the perfect body for use or sale! I think I see alot of bodycraft in my crow future.

Have not read all 9 pages, but people are worried about "impermanence"? Are we that tied to our paper dolls? Your crow is permanent. That's it. Why is this a problem?

One of the great things about the early mmorpgs is that your choices mattered, you worked on a character for a long time and you tried to tackle the challenges the game presented you with... people built a great fondness and bond for those characters...

When you take that away and people are just switching characters with relative ease it is a completely different gameplay experience...

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I'm ok with everything except the general skills training method. Yes its handy to not start over for EVERY vessel, but we also lose the opportunity to  make different types of characters without making different accounts and paying for the game again etc. I wish we had at least the opportunity to earn another crow, so we could enjoy more than one type of playing style. 

Slightly disappointed, but still curious enough to stick with it. We are getting into the specifics now, I suppose everyone will be disappointed (and pleased) about something.

That's what keeps me a little happier, if in diferent rulesets you can keep this body normaly and kinda ignore the vessels thing i have no problem on having it and trying it someday.

I'm no roleplayer, i just like to think when i create a character in a mmorpg: "that's me, Altair person". I would dedicate my time choosing atributes, customizing the character, because hey "it's me right?"

You are right about the lore thingy. No one said that being a crow would be all fun and games. Maybe this was just a great punch that i didn't expected.

We are crows after all, not our vessels. And not much of a RPr myself either but pretty sure when you go into a game for the RPG aspects you adapt to the game and base how you play and RP to the lore and mechanics of that game. So to say RPrs and RPG fans will be put off is a bit much I'd say.

Bottom line for people bringing up, "well traditionally..." or " in past RPGs..." yeah well this is a new game and the Dev is attempting something new(ish) and different, so either adapt or perhaps might be best to find another game more suited for you. They keep saying this game won't be for everyone but yet we keep seeing people surprised when their design concepts bare that out.

Edited by pang

Interesting system.

On the vessel crafting front, I'd prefer to see a system in which are benefits if a "foo" crafter is crafting a "foo" vessel.

(Which is an awkward way of saying that a there should be a advantage to having a confessor crafter crafting confessor vessels.  Perhaps the chance of crafting a high quality vessel is increased)

WAZ6Fov.png

"The cinnabar is a lie"

wow...i dont think anyone expected something like this. This is innovative on a whole new level. I cant express how much Vessel crafting intrigues me. I am definitely going to stick around and see more of this. Even if it ends up not working, this is something worth working for in a genre that seems to lack innovation.

This is a big concern for me simply because pvp in mmorpgs used to be so different... you were taking characters that you spent a lot of time working on and building and pitting them against others to see who was best... with the shallow nature of the new system you aren't really going to feel like you are doing that... it's more like a moba where you are just playing some champion and then can switch with minimal attachment. 

When you have minimal attachment the thrill of victory or defeat can be lessened. 

On an unrelated note I think since they've kind of removed the value of choice and permanence in picking 1 class for a campaign and sticking with it, I'd like for it to be the case that a person can not switch vessels unless they die... perhaps it already is but I think this would at least add a little more significance to the choice instead of having people just pop out so easily and switch all willy nilly like. 

I'm someone who cares quite a bit about character attachment and I don't see any issues with the current system. You're able to make your character exactly the same way with the same looks, skins, and armor if you want to. However you can choose to change it up if you want to as well.

I'll probably find a certain combination of character creation options + skins and stick with that combo for most of my vessels for that archetype.

I think choices are still very valuable in this system. You just do it at the Crow level instead of the character level. You can make a choice to train your Crow to be more effective for certain types of vessels thus making yourself less effective with others. There's still plenty of room with 1500 slated skills to make some pretty unique combinations.

Edited by Zybak

wow...i dont think anyone expected something like this. This is innovative on a whole new level. I cant express how much Vessel crafting intrigues me. I am definitely going to stick around and see more of this. Even if it ends up not working, this is something worth working for in a genre that seems to lack innovation.

Crafting a vessel is a really cool concept but, as we have seen in other MMOs, when players are crafting them (items) and devs are also producing them (items) its often the players that end up being undercut out of business. It will be an interesting balance to make sure the player crafted vessel economy works with the developer produced vessels. 

I role play a wordsmith.

I don't have much to add up to 10 pages of conversation, so i'm just gonna say that i'm quite hyped for this.

It solves some of the issues we were adressing since the start and it opens up new interesting possibilities and opportunities.

I do wonder though, what's the plan with active skill gaining, now that we have this 'overhaul'?

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

As someone who suffers from altitis I like it.

Does this mean Vessels will end up being for sale in the shop?

I doubt it, since that would be a clear pay to win option.

I doubt it, since that would be a clear pay to win option.

But if you aren't paying for a better vessel, but rather paying to get into the one you want sooner (without having to find it) it might fit within the old "paying to save time not to be more powerful" cash shop concept.

Edited by tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

But if you aren't paying for a better vessel, but rather paying to get into the one you want sooner (without having to find it) it might fit within the old "paying to save time" cash shop concept.

Which IMO is still pay to win. Money should never be an alternative to playing the game.

If you go down that road with vessels, why couldn't they do the same with armor, weapons and disciplines? The whole point of the game is to fight over this stuff. What are we fighting over if people can just buy it?

But if you aren't paying for a better vessel, but rather paying to get into the one you want sooner (without having to find it) it might fit within the old "paying to save time not to be more powerful" cash shop concept.

The real issue I see is not the pay to win or pay to advance faster thing. Being able to buy vessels in the cash shop would undermine the player economy. If they mean for them to be crafted by players and looted off of players and traded and bartered with in game then yeah it would be undermined by simply being able to buy one off the cash shop.