Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

So being that a god selected you, what are the benefits to the gods in relation to your vessel?: (such as)

Better training speeds for certain skills related to the god’s portfolio

Ability to more easily locate vessels that have significance to the god

Absorbing some skill from a legendary hero vessel related to a god

Retaining some portion of skill advancement from a vessel (this would help reduce the disparity between VIP ad normal accounts)

Are there negatives?

Edit

Such as:

All combat vessels are taken, so you get stuck with a miners/farmer/merchants body  you may get an odd skill you don’t normally have, but you will fight as your primary archtype at a reduced skill rate

Edited by Old_Crow

Bottom line for people bringing up, "well traditionally..." or " in past RPGs..." yeah well this is a new game and the Dev is attempting something new(ish) and different, so either adapt or perhaps might be best to find another game more suited for you. They keep saying this game won't be for everyone but yet we keep seeing people surprised when their design concepts bare that out.

Yep, couldn't say that better, this is more about liking or not, i just leave my opinion as a feedback,doesn't mean it is right at all. i still support crowfall since they are always open with us and the lore looks incredible.

When i got into crowfall forums i knew this was a huge gamble since i'm not a huge fan of PvP, but hell they showed effort and competence.

Again, i still give my support and looking foward for this.

Edited by altair

Ples don mind me bed gremmer, i'm Apollo Gise

Bottom line for people bringing up, "well traditionally..." or " in past RPGs..." yeah well this is a new game and the Dev is attempting something new(ish) and different, so either adapt or perhaps might be best to find another game more suited for you. They keep saying this game won't be for everyone but yet we keep seeing people surprised when their design concepts bare that out.

This game is not close to finished being developed... they will make some great decisions, they will make some not so great ones... people will question all of them... we've already seen them make some big changes, this system itself is a big change from a previous system...  It's good to question decisions and discuss them... 

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

One of the great things about the early mmorpgs is that your choices mattered, you worked on a character for a long time and you tried to tackle the challenges the game presented you with... people built a great fondness and bond for those characters...

When you take that away and people are just switching characters with relative ease it is a completely different gameplay experience...

You're not the only one that play the early MMOs. We all know this. Belaboring the point is just wasting time.

​What you are not seeing, or refusing to admit, is that all of that is still here. You are not switching character. You are switching your loadout. That's all. Like putting on a different armor set with different bonuses in EQ (or any other game of that era). You were more of a damage dealer, now you're more tanky. You still have the same character (crow) that you have worked on for a long time to "tackle the challenges the game presented you". Your equipment is just different, giving you different options.

​Many newer games, like TSO and FFXIV, have a system where you can store and hot-swap your talisman loadouts and skill loadouts to play a different style. It's just equipment. In this system, your body is just part of your equipment.

​This is absolutely no different, it's just presented differently.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

This game is not close to finished being developed... they will make some great decisions, they will make some not so great ones... people will question all of them... we've already seen them make some big changes, this system itself is a big change from a previous system...  It's good to question decisions and discuss them... 

and I don't disagree with any of that. Just saying though that if your feedback is based on "well in past games..." then you might be in for a long road as we have heard and seen that this Dev isn't trying to make a traditional game here.

You're not the only one that play the early MMOs. We all know this. Belaboring the point is just wasting time.

​What you are not seeing, or refusing to admit, is that all of that is still here. You are not switching character. You are switching your loadout. That's all. Like putting on a different armor set with different bonuses in EQ (or any other game of that era). You were more of a damage dealer, now you're more tanky. You still have the same character (crow) that you have worked on for a long time to "tackle the challenges the game presented you". Your equipment is just different, giving you different options.

​Many newer games, like TSO and FFXIV, have a system where you can store and hot-swap your talisman loadouts and skill loadouts to play a different style. It's just equipment. In this system, your body is just part of your equipment.

​This is absolutely no different, it's just presented differently.

Nah... you are pretty much switching your character... it can be wrapped up nicely and there can be pretty names for things but you are switching your character... how easy they will make it, we will see... but it is definitely a less committed experience in that regard... you can see similar systems philosophically in call of duty and overwatch and such...

The real issue I see is not the pay to win or pay to advance faster thing. Being able to buy vessels in the cash shop would undermine the player economy. If they mean for them to be crafted by players and looted off of players and traded and bartered with in game then yeah it would be undermined by simply being able to buy one off the cash shop.

Its been done in other games but I can't recall it being done in a game with a crafted economy and not killing it. Its why it is my only real concern for this concept. Other than the shop question I think its a great idea.

I role play a wordsmith.

fixed that for you.

I don't think I ever said my opinion is the only valid one... I am simply discussing what is being presented here..  I feel it is a bit disingenuous to go misconstruing what I say.  

There are very clear and obvious parallels between the revealed system and other games out on the market... There are also plenty of examples of what kind of gameplay experiences those systems can create...  There are pros and cons to the system they have gone for... but the feeling of permanence is not really one of them. 

Edit:  This doesn't even begin to address what these kinds of systems do to pvp and the metagame of pvp... where it becomes much more about abusing the versatility of the system to rapidly hard-counter each other which ultimately ends up in very uninspiring play..

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Edit:  This doesn't even begin to address what these kinds of systems do to pvp and the metagame of pvp... where it becomes much more about abusing the versatility of the system to rapidly hard-counter each other which ultimately ends up in very uninspiring play..

More please - How is this less strategic than investing a year(s) in a character build and hoping it is relevant in an evolving meta.

rSHxVEY.gif

More please - How is this less strategic than investing a year(s) in a character build and hoping it is relevant in an evolving meta.

Because when you are stuck with a specific class you must learn the ins and outs of that class thoroughly to be at the top of the game... you have to expose yourself to the most unorthodox situations and understand what to do in every situation... Whether that's to fight a certain way, or simply understand you must run or whatever...

In a more versatile system you aren't really forced to do any of that and as a min/maxer you are instead encouraged to go for direct hard-counters... and hard-counters are generally pretty easy to play into the situations they hard-counter...

Versatility isn't bad but it's something that must be balanced...

you're arguing for 1 character-only accounts, which was never on the table to begin with...

you should've had the same issue with alt characters and multiple character slots, yet you never said anything, but now all of a sudden it's an issue...

Edited by freeze

So when it comes to promotions will you be able to train Multiple promotions of the same archetype? Like can i start training Knights Crusader Skills and then train Some skills in Swordsman. 

Then the second question is will the vessels have their Archetype and Promotions chosen (if it had a promotion). So if i find a graveyard of Knights will some vessels be Basic Knights, then some are Crusaders, then some are Swordsman? Or will they all just be Knights? and if they are all just knights does that mean you can only ever spec into one promotion, or would you be able to take over the knight and choose which promotion you wanna benefit from?

you're arguing for 1 character-only accounts, which was never on the table to begin with...

you should've had the same issue with alt characters and multiple character slots, yet you never said anything

Nope because each of those characters is still a singular experience with the potential 1 character per campaign that people thought might be the case before...

So in a single campaign you would still have been playing only 1 class...

In the new system you have much more versatility... a little too much imo... and i believe based on my understanding of how pvp metas generally evolve, it's actually going to encourage a less intuitive type of play and more of a rock paper scissors super hard-counter focus.  Also anytime you add versatility in this way it actually favors the zerg...  Because not only logistically does their advantage start to grow exponentially if they can too easily change into hard-counters... you've made the whole composition aspect a matter of resources... which is something a zerg will generally have in much more abundance than a smaller force. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

you should've had the same issue with alt characters and multiple character slots, yet you never said anything, but now all of a sudden it's an issue...

It's an issue if you can change classes on the battlefield, less of a problem (imo) if for example you can change only at specific locations (towns? graveyards?) or some similar restraints.

Nope because each of those characters is still a singular experience with the potential 1 character per campaign that people thought might be the case before...

So in a single campaign you would still have been playing only 1 class...

In the new system you have much more versatility... a little too much imo... and i believe based on my understanding of how pvp metas generally evolve, it's actually going to encourage a less intuitive type of play and more of a rock paper scissors super hard-counter focus.  Also anytime you add versatility in this way it actually favors the zerg...

the 1 char per campaign was just a concept and never 100% confirmed...

also easily circumventable with multiple accounts, which has been explained to you like 500 times

now they tore down that pay-wall which eventually would've made it neccessary to own multiple accounts to keep up.

You always present yourself as top custard percentage... you seem to understand very little what that means or you just want that artificial paywall so it helps you compete.

And btw, no, it doesn't favour zergs... actually quite the opposite.

Edited by freeze

In the new system you have much more versatility... a little too much imo... and i believe based on my understanding of how pvp metas generally evolve, it's actually going to encourage a less intuitive type of play and more of a rock paper scissors super hard-counter focus.  Also anytime you add versatility in this way it actually favors the zerg...  Because not only logistically does their advantage start to grow exponentially if they can too easily change into hard-counters... you've made the whole composition aspect a matter of resources... which is something a zerg will generally have in much more abundance than a smaller force. 

How do you plan to equip that many people AND their alternate vessels?

the 1 char per campaign was just a concept and never 100% confirmed...

also easily circumventable with multiple accounts, which has been explained to you like 500 times

now they tore down that pay-wall which eventually would've made it neccessary to own multiple accounts to keep up.

You always present yourself as top custard percentage... you seem to understand very little what that means or you just want that artificial paywall so it helps you compete.

And btw, no, it doesn't favour zergs... actually quite the opposite.

The multiple accounts argument doesn't really hold much weight, as it is not the intended experience... they also didn't really tear down that pay-wall, there are still advantages to owning multiple accounts.  For example training 2 different sets of general skills... or training 2 diff lines for a specific archetype (you can't double down with your training on one account)

And you may think it doesn't favor zergs... (i'd love to hear your arguments for why that might be the case) but anytime you give a zerg more options they have a greater chance of bringing what hard counters you... that's just numbers...

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Oh wow! This is a fascinating, and delightfully gruesome, revision. I LOVE it! In particular, I like that we can exhume bodies from graveyards and literally loot corpses. Takes the crow metaphor to a whole new level. Nicely done.

Todd, was this your idea? Or was it a collaborative idea?

Thanks for the replacement rewards for we early backers :)

Happy New Year's Eve Eve,

Iri~

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

As someone who suffers from altitis I like it.

Does this mean Vessels will end up being for sale in the shop?

Skins will be available in the cash shop.

Vessels will be available in player-owned shops and from your guild's quartermaster.

Honestly, you are the type of person that is much to competitive, has zero compassion for other people and think you are better than everyone else. You likely love to troll people on a day to day bases to get others angry and laugh about it. You make playing any online game unfun for everyone else.  -Kuroaka