Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

I think this whole "OMG THE GAME IS JUST GOING TO BE PEOPLE REROLLING TO HARD-COUNTER EACH OTHER" argument is pretty silly.

- I really doubt Crowfall is going to be a game of "hard counters" in the first place. The PvP situations in this game won't structured and consistent enough to have as big of a rock/paper/scissors effect as people think. With 1500 skills it's going to be very hard to counter someone because the everyone's builds are going to be very different. Cookie cutter builds will always be a thing but I really doubt they'll be a huge deal in Crowfall just due the the organic and random nature of PvP this game is going to promote.

- Switching vessels will likely have some sort of penalty

- You can't switch vessels anywhere you want. You'll need to be at specific spots or meet certain conditions most likely

- If someone has captured a graveyard and has properly prepared vessels then they should be allowed to "hard-counter" another group despite the fact that that's probably not going to be a thing in this game.

Thinking that Crowfall is going to play like Chess is a bit silly. It'll play like a game of Chess until someone else starts putting checkers on the board, rolling dice, collecting $200 when they pass GO, and yelling UNO!

Edited by Zybak

I was agoing to to make a post but I have had too mquch beer so custard it. This hot oil with peppers they serve with pizza burns my mouth like if it was on file and I cant stop drinking beer. To solve The root cause would be to stop eating pizza.

Edited by rajah

That moment (among others) that you know you've made the right choice in backing the game.

Agreed! def want something new not just the same old school crap thats been around for ages just with prettier graphics, Crowfall has a mix of elements of alot of games i actually like.

krevra.png

For all of you that worry about your precious one and only character not being competitive enough, don't sweat.
I'll rig you up with some nice rare piece of mea.. character, straight out of the fine royal tombs with a fresh smell of dregs.
You can then cover it in perfume and walk around with a personal doctor.

I got you covered

Edited by Navtyr

Welcome the hunger

Todd is Love, Todd is Life.

it's rock paper scissors no matter what...

with your desired scenario you're just stuck as rock,paper or scissor

No... because my desired scenario puts more emphasis on learning to use what you got and learn every nook and cranny of a less than ideal at times class...

It's much different than a scenario where you focus much more on simply hard-countering because you have the option to pick from a much larger variety of options. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

Tbh I think. vinkingnail is bringing up a valid concern, but I have a feeling he is coming from the smaller group perspective.

From my experience it applies to large and small groups... especially because they've made the vessels a resource based thing... it favors the zergs a bit more because zergs generally hoard a much larger amount of resources. 

Tbh I think. vinkingnail is bringing up a valid concern, but I have a feeling he is coming from the smaller group perspective.

I would think it a valid concern if I believed that switching in combat would be possible, or that there will actually be hard counters to different group compositions.

From my experience it applies to large and small groups... especially because they've made the vessels a resource based thing... it favors the zergs a bit more because zergs generally hoard a much larger amount of resources. 

The zerg also needs a much large amount of resources. 

Also on the hard counter argument, if everyone can carry multiple counters in their bag and switch it will then it may not be such a sure thing if you scout out a druid farming but when you come back it's a champion.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

I would think it a valid concern if I believed that switching in combat would be possible, or that there will actually be hard counters to different group compositions.

The zerg also needs a much large amount of resources. 

How likely do you think it will be that zergs are operating at a loss compared to smaller guilds?

--snip--

I feel like there should be a more... personable representation of your crow, though, that you can become attached to.

This, really.

Either you use that one "public-relations" vessel, so that people know you by looks as well as the "hovering crow-name", or.. maybe there will be crow customization options? This could be fun!

"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light." ~ Arca Jeth, Star Wars Legends

@JTC stay the course your doing great. Also just a suggestion it would be cool if the vessel retained a history of all who I used it. I would love to get a hold of the vessel that was owned by someone noteworthy.

Jenna Jameson

previously owned by ......

i know i am a mob what ever that means i am a old guy still learning new things and i did like the video and cant wait to see how it plays out and i mean old cause i served my country from 1973 to 2005 so i find this game to be interesting and fun

This new system eliminates a concern I had about how the game would play in the long term. Being stuck with one or two characters in a campaign doesn't lend itself well to diverse group composition. With the Crow and Vessel system, the game plays less like WoW- or some other clone- and more like Shadowbane. Instead of having a primary character and one or two alts, we'll have a wide roster of characters to choose from. This development allows guilds to more carefully plan the composition of their groups in advance, rather than simply relying on whatever their individual players decides to bring.

Yes, this DOES devalue the individual characters, but that's fine. Vessels will allow us to more fully explore the depths of the skill and archetype system. This is a game where you might have several different builds for the same archetype. Being restricted to a few character slots doesn't really do the system justice.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

Hey gang,

We knew this one would be a bit controversial, but we felt (and still feel) that it is the the best idea for the game overall.  

I want to say thanks for being (mostly) open to this idea.  We set out to take some design risks with Crowfall.  Every time we stray from the "normal" path of MMO design, two things happen: (1) some people aren't going to like it and (2) the knowledge space of MMO design expands a bit.  

On a positive note, even if you fall into group (1), you win.  When new things are tried, we clear out some of the fog of war of what is and isn't possible with these games, and future products get better as a result.  For all of Shadowbane's flaws, we took some real risks and a surprising number of them paid off.  Echoes of that game are still being felt across a handful of other games, and I'm extremely proud of that.

Thank you for giving us the freedom and the opportunity to try new things.  They may not all work, but we need to try.  What is the alternative? Another WOW clone? custard that.

Regards,

Todd

ACE

This is about 3 pages of replies late, but isn't suggesting that this skill system as novel a bit disingenuous?  At its most generous, this is just an iteration on the base mechanics of EVE. This is not the groundbreaking decisions taken by JTodd and Wolfpack with Shadowbane. 

Perhaps just an IMO.  

Either way, hoping for the best and that the lessons of CCP and EVE get internalized by ACE.

@JTC stay the course your doing great. Also just a suggestion it would be cool if the vessel retained a history of all who I used it. I would love to get a hold of the vessel that was owned by someone noteworthy.

^^ i actually really dig that idea.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]