Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

Kinda like ghosts in UO?

ooOooOoOo

Yes, we will more than likely apply a post filter to the camera, and not send down information on other characters from the server to any crows. This will prevent them from being used a scouts. (We have talked about this internally multiple times already)

good :)

also remember that UO had to eventually implement a "stuck" option to teleport to towns, because being in the wilderness for hours without being able to do anything, wasn't fun

It would be really cool if high quality vessels didn't just "break" when worn out but instead degraded to a lower quality.

The lower quality ones should have a frankenstien look to them, as they have been killed multiple times and  been patched back together, while the high quality ones could look pristine.

One thing I'm confused about,

Q&A says you can only train archetype skills when you are playing that archetype but, the vip says you can train 3 at a time.

So if I have vip am I actively training 3 archetype skills at a time or just the 1 archetype I'm playing.

If it's still just 1 at a time and you can change what you're training at any time how's it different than non vip.

MOkvLlm.png

My biggest question is, can we only jump into our own body when we die, or any body. That being said, if I jumped into say a champion's body (that wasn't mine originally) and someone didn't loot him, would I obtain his inventory?

You can summon your current avatar corpse from the graveyard and take a decay hit Or jump into a default body that graveyard can provide (ie Centaur Graveyard's produce Legionnaires) OR activate a vessel from the import and jump into it. If I had to guess for the majority of the Campaign Bands, you would take the decay hit on the vessel and summon it to the Graveyard.

Most of the Campaign bands won't have you jumping into corpses that you don't own. (At least that is our current assumption, remember our whole philosophy is to try out system variations in the campaign worlds and promote the successful variations if popular) That being said if you jumped into an avatar that was loaded out with Disciplines and Equipment, you would gain everything that is on that avatar currently.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

It's a pretty genius system. You have the permanent character progression (the crow itself) and you've also got a ton of reset mechanics that will keep the gameplay fresh. I have a feeling that when people die they'll try out something new and it'll lead to all kinds of replayability.

We have been noticing this with Hungerdome - people might jump through a number of archetypes in an single play session to adjust to changing group comp or just for a change in pace.  I'm glad it will be an option come release.

rSHxVEY.gif

Yay

Edit:  The ramifications of this system on the dregs will be very interesting.

I will let you know.

While reading the FAQ question after question popped in my head. But it seems they covered all of them.  :) 

Bit disappointed there is no info on the warmth conversion (yet). Still hope our avatars need food and other mechanics to stay warm!

Edit: Still unsure when we will pick our deity. On a crow or vessel level? Does this mean guilds are useless on the outer bands? Lots of questions still.

I'm sorry I don't share your enthusiasm for that mechanic. It really seems to exist to justify crafting and the new system does that very well.

Neat concept.  I hope the power disparity between a common and legendary vessel isn't huge -_-

I, on the other hand, hope that finding that super rare orange vessel you've been looking for makes you feel almost super human compared to a base model.

I REALLY REALLY like this...like a lot!

I was worried about having to constantly re-do character progression but once I read that even the archeype specific skills are account based I got pretty happy. 

It's a pretty genius system. You have the permanent character progression (the crow itself) and you've also got a ton of reset mechanics that will keep the gameplay fresh. I have a feeling that when people die they'll try out something new and it'll lead to all kinds of replayability.

Maybe I missed it but did they say how promotion classes work with the vessel system? Do you just pick the promotion class you want (if available) when you start up your new vessel?

Attain a preset stat level I'm assuming here because that's the only thing left on the vessel. And then talk to the right NPC to "Enlighten" your vessel with the knowledge of the gods. Can a promoted vessel be separated from it's promotion class is a question that that answer sparks.

KRIPTIKserratedv3_zps4ptlmh6o.gif

I, on the other hand, hope that finding that super rare orange vessel you've been looking for makes you feel almost super human compared to a base model.

That would completely negate the "shallow power curve" they have been preaching.

"Float like a Butterfly.... Sting like a Misplaced Decimal Point" - Xarrayne 2018

YouTube Channel

What if there is an archetype that doesn't have a vessel but instead you train your crow to take control of enemies bodies in battle for a short period of time.

Jumping from body to body and attacking their allies causing havoc ;)

MOkvLlm.png

For the sake of clarification how does this skill and vessel system work in relation to the passive skill training system from before with primary secondary and tertiary system.

We have been noticing this with Hungerdome - people might jump through a number of archetypes in an single play session to adjust to changing group comp or just for a change in pace.  I'm glad it will be an option come release.

I'm a bit skeptical of this for an mmorpg... it makes it seem like people will feel more detached from classes/archetypes themselves because of this overarching crow and vessel system. 

I'm also kind of a fan of having to make tough choices and the ability to dramatically change your compositions alleviates some of that element from the game. 

Edited by VIKINGNAIL

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

So in the long run will it be better to craft or find vessels? Also, will weapons and armor work the same way? Like if you find a high tier vessel will they be carrying high tier equipment as well?

Will there be a limit to the strength of the vessels you can find or craft? I know dust 514 had a system like that where you could purchase dropsuits of different tiers but there was an upper limit to how good the dropsuit could be.

Finally, will the character names be predetermined or show up in the game world? Or will you see the account name over other player's heads with the character name just making it easy to tell your vessels apart?

Edited by Shunejii