Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

The Big Reveal: Crows and vessels - Official discussion thread

Very interesting approach, I need to think more about it and watch the video.

I have one major concern though. Having a single crow kills roleplaying options unless you buy multiple accounts.

I wanted to have three distinct character personalities.

Please give us multiple crows!

Roleplay that your character is schizophrenic  :P

Wait, wait, wait... How does this factor in for the lore about the classes themselves? The Fae Assassin had a pretty distinct personality from her blurb, and an extremely misandristic outlook -- is that the avatar influencing the personality of the inhabiting spirit, or is that the crow themself that just held such an opinion, and thus the character blurbs aren't specific? Or is it neither, and merely the identity of the living character before they died and the crow claimed the body?

People who want to die so they can get back to the fun of flying around in crow form :)

I honestly am looking forward to just chilling out as an immortal crow spirit. XD

^ ( ;,,; ) ^

Interesting.  Very Eve.  Haven't decided how I feel on this, think I'll need to see implementation details to fully grasp how this will affect things.

So, how much customization are we talking on these corpses?  It sounds like I can essentially train up a crafting skill for crafting basically fully customized characters.  In addition, your build can essentially be looted.

Edited by yamix

Wait, wait, wait... How does this factor in for the lore about the classes themselves? The Fae Assassin had a pretty distinct personality from her blurb, and an extremely misandristic outlook -- is that the avatar influencing the personality of the inhabiting spirit, or is that the crow themself that just held such an opinion, and thus the character blurbs aren't specific? Or is it neither, and merely the identity of the living character before they died and the crow claimed the body?

The "lore" thus far has been pretty shallow and general terribad. I doubt ACE will lose sleep over having to rewrite a paragraph or two (if they even bother).

Hiring Meridian with an offer he can't refuse should be a new funding goal... no feature creep involved!

Crafting and economics will be a big part of the pre-game in campaigns, choosing which archetypes to bring and choosing who to get them from.

On another note, tombs and graveyards. One might house a rarer breed vessel or body parts while the other is probably one of the more important resource camps. very excited about if tombs will be like mini "dungeons" with stronger guardians for rarer vessels.

Funny thought, too. This whole "Frankenstein-like" crafting of vessels puts advantages and disadvantages like "Giant's Blood" or "Hawkeye" or "Ambidextrious" in a new perspective. These Necromancers are literally injecting the blood of a giant, popping in better eyes, and sewing on the hands for these effects. Haha~

My thoughts after reading this:

*Dies in battle and body gets stolen*

*Meets the opponent in previous body*

"My name is  Inigo Montoya. You stole my body. Prepare to die."

Also waiting for someone to attempt to create an "avatar" cycle...

The Avatar, master of all the archetypes.

But for real, this is huge and will really add a new dimension to the game. I can't wait to see how this will play out.

nz8Y2JJ.jpg

A lot of MMORPGs these days have very in-depth systems when it comes to customizing character physical appearance. For example, take a look at Black Desert Online (BDO) character creation. My assumption is that players like to be able to make their characters look a certain way (face, hair, skin color, etc...). A lot of older MMO's just use a list of presets when it comes to character appearance so there isn't really much time spent there (I assume).

I don't know what Crowfall will be like in that (character appearance) department. However, if Crowfall does use something really complex similar to BDO, will there a way to save these vessel looks/appearance? I ask since vessels do not have the same level of permanence as they do in other mmos.

Edited by Aguise

A lot of MMORPGs these days have very in-depth systems when it comes to customizing character physical appearance. For example, take a look at Black Desert Online (BDO) character creation. My assumption is that players like to be able to make their characters look a certain way (face, hair, skin color, etc...). A lot of older MMO's just use a list of presets when it comes to character appearance so there isn't really much time spent there (I assume).

I don't know what Crowfall will be like in that (character appearance) department. However, if Crowfall does use something really complex similar to BDO, will there a way to save these vessel looks/appearance? I ask since vessels do not have the same level of permanence as they do in other mmos.

It won't be anyway near as complex. Basically, you'll be able to choose from a set of pre-made faces and hair styles, skin and hair colors.

Awesome ending that was my idea and it's a good thought!!! :D

SkDJEH9.png Discord: message me if you want to stay in touch. Retired CrowFall member.

Looks interesting, but... there will be rarity and "quality"?

I don't really like this part of the system, at all. I can be a Knight and then come across another Knight - only he's a Shiny Purple Legendary Knight! He's literally better than my character even before we get to gear. Even before we fight or take into account equipment, he's got an advantage over me.

What? Isn't this supposed to be a competitive PvP focused game?

I really hope character power isn't tied very heavily into the quality of vessels, because that sounds pretty bad. Other than that it's an interesting system.

The bigger issue is the rarity/quality levels. I really don't like the idea that my Knight might be completely inferior to another Knight before we even get into the specifics.

Edited by taroskin

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

My only concern is not being able to play the classes I want, at the very least the sub classes.

There was a shot with Tully crafting a vessel, and on the left there were a few knight subclasses. What I got from this is that not only are vessels pre-set to a class, but also a sub-class. So if I were picky, there would be a 1/52 chance of even getting the subclass I want, nevermind if the vessel is even good or not. I would really like to have the option to select a sub-class when I enter a vessel. Perhaps that vessel would be locked to a sub-class once it was actually entered, or only locked to a sub-class per account. This would prevent people from swapping sub-class on the fly, if that would be an issue.

On the other extreme of the 1/52 chance would be to only set vessels per race, giving players a 1/8 chance to get the class and sub class they want. Not that I'm advocating for that.

Edited by eeree

It's a pretty genius system. You have the permanent character progression (the crow itself) and you've also got a ton of reset mechanics that will keep the gameplay fresh. I have a feeling that when people die they'll try out something new and it'll lead to all kinds of replayability.

This is all true, however...

My concern with this is that CF is increasingly beginning to look like a FPS.  Impermanent world, impermanent characters and combat is even likely to become more FPS-like.  A fantasy FPS is not a bad idea (I enjoyed Hexen) but I fear for the RPG part of this MMORPG.  One thing that has been lost to the MMO-scape is character investment.  Now, I am not talking about "I played a hunter since BC!"--that's character attachment.  I am talking about fine tuning your character to be distinct and even unique overtime by playing the game.  I've already whined on these forums how you can simply changed builds, taking on entirely different roles, on the fly in many MMOs now.  The choices you make, the sacrifices, and the benefits mean almost nothing now and everyone is homogenized, made distinct only by the flash of their gear (gear has been so overemphasized in MMOs, but that is another discussion).  And while this may cater to the culture of convenience, it is anathema to the hero's journey (which is where all of this sprang from in the first place). 

Now, I deeply respect ACE, and if anyone can pull off this delicate balancing act, they can. However, I just wanted to offer these words of caution as they proceed.    

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus